New York, New Jersey and Connecticut - NEW 14 Day MANDATORY Quarantine !!

In a joint telecast, the Governor's from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut have announced that there is a 14-day MANDATORY Quarantine for anyone flying in from States with high Coronavirus case rates, which include but not limited to Florida, Texas, California, Arizona. No end date was proposed nor stated.

So, in sum, if you have a cruise out of AND/OR travel to/from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, re-think it.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

The same buses they have always used?

The onus isn't on a carrier to enforce anything.  

What I meant is if there is a 14-day quarantine, will there be issues flying into a given state, where they ask where you are flying from and prone to the mandatory quarantine, and getting to the port?? Do they consider this as a "Transient Passenger" or would some state just say no?

21 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Just another event in the ongoing cold war between NY and Florida. People have been fleeing NY in droves to escape oppressive taxes. Many go to Florida yet maintain property in NY for the summer months. Seems like retaliation  to me.

Seriously??? All this is the cause of the Coronavirus. There is no retaliation. This is about surviving, helping those who need help, protecting our kids and loved ones AND getting back to cruising!!

22 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Just another event in the ongoing cold war between NY and Florida. People have been fleeing NY in droves to escape oppressive taxes. Many go to Florida yet maintain property in NY for the summer months. Seems like retaliation  to me.

....and I was all set to come crash on @Ogilthorpe 's couch......

image.png

Nobody knows how long this 14-day quarantine requirement will last, or what states/countries will be included in it by the time ships are sailing in Sept/Oct (maybe?).  It's currently June and ANYTHING can happen in 3 months.  Literally.  Pigeons with frickin' laser beams on their heads is not outside the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Florida had a rule like this and it's a joke because it's not actively enforced. Flights will still occur, with the honor system the means of tracking. 

I agree but unlike FL. The Governor in NY has no problem enforcing this. the Port auth. controls the Major Airports and they will ensure people follow the  Quarantine

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

What I meant is if there is a 14-day quarantine, will there be issues flying into a given state, where they ask where you are flying from and prone to the mandatory quarantine, and getting to the port?? Do they consider this as a "Transient Passenger" or would some state just say no?

There is no government agency greeting domestic flights.  You'll walk off the plane and do what you've always been able to do.  Hail a cab, jump in an Uber, get on a bus, go on a train, etc.  

I think that the travel ban will be over before the cruises restart. Not like cruises are going anywhere until September....while it's possible we go through a second wave I'm not sure this will last that long. From what I got from this, this is a temporary ban until the other states get their numbers lower.

2 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Don't people who retain property in NY still have to pay oppressive taxes on them?

I've often assumed it was retirees who go in droves to Florida.  Are young working families relocating to Florida to escape NY taxation as well?

In Florida the leaves on trees don't change with the season, the color of the licenses plates do.  

I've always assumed it was to escape the depressing winters in New England.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Don't people who retain property in NY still have to pay oppressive taxes on them?

I've often assumed it was retirees who go in droves to Florida.  Are young working families relocating to Florida to escape NY taxation as well?

In Florida the leaves on trees don't change with the season, the color of the licenses plates do.  

I've always assumed it was to escape the depressing winters in New England.

Originally, it was more of a weather thing I believe. The term used here is "snowbirds"...probably elsewhere also ?

While it was mainly retirees in the past, working families in large numbers are leaving also as of late. 

The property taxes are half of the equation. Income taxes are out of control in NY also, but zero in Florida. 

A couple of years ago NY state was sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes. Tracing credit card purchases, mail forwarding, even showing up at the Florida properties to inspect and even inventory the refrigerator in an effort to establish less than 181 days Florida residency so they could collect NY income tax.

In case you wondered, I dont love NY. ??

12 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

A couple of years ago NY state was sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes. Tracing credit card purchases, mail forwarding, even showing up at the Florida properties to inspect and even inventory the refrigerator in an effort to establish less than 181 days Florida residency so they could collect NY income tax.

I'm surprised a NY state employee can appear at a residence in another state and demand to enter the premises for an inspection.  How do they have authority to do so?

On the other hand, this seems like a pretty good gig for a NY state employee. 

"Go to Florida and hangout for a while.  Watch them, stick on them like glue. "... 

"I'm on it boss, but it make take a little while, like all winter"

Umm I want cats with laser beams because pigeons seems like they REALLY hate us.

Anyhow, the travel ban would work if enforced. Maybe they will have someone checking the manifest and stationed at the disembark door. Then you get a giant sticker that says quarantine....I mean its ridiculous, so the manner of dealing with it would have to be. Another more real option is to block flights from those states, but then people might drive and fly out of another state. Actually since we don't have strict boarders the only option is to make sure people follow protocol, wear mask and wash their hands.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm surprised a NY state employee can appear at a residence in another state and demand to enter the premises for an inspection.  How do they have authority to do so?

I dont recall the particulars, it may have involved the IRS or may have been somewhat clandestine. I was pondering that same question, time for some research....

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

I found the article, I was a little fuzzy on the details as it over a year ago. The refrigerator inspections were in NY, the extended surveillance was cyber based. For some interesting reading:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/08/tax-collectors-chase-rich-new-yorkers-moving-to-low-tax-states.html&ved=2ahUKEwj6wM6wm5vqAhUEHc0KHbZWBO0QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1KpBCLUl_j92Y6QB1vUZXi&ampcf=1

20 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I found the article, I was a little fuzzy on the details as it over a year ago. The refrigerator inspections were in NY, the extended surveillance was cyber based. For some interesting reading:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/08/tax-collectors-chase-rich-new-yorkers-moving-to-low-tax-states.html&ved=2ahUKEwj6wM6wm5vqAhUEHc0KHbZWBO0QFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1KpBCLUl_j92Y6QB1vUZXi&ampcf=1

4 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

A couple of years ago NY state was sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes. Tracing credit card purchases, mail forwarding, even showing up at the Florida properties to inspect and even inventory the refrigerator in an effort to establish less than 181 days Florida residency so they could collect NY income tax.

In case you wondered, I dont love NY. 

--------------------------------------------------------

So in essence, NY wasnt sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes, per your previous statement. Sounds like to me a disgruntled ex-residence just bad mouthing NY!!  ?????

42 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Interesting read.  "Wealth Flight" - learned a new term.  

In this case people weren't fleeing NY, they just claimed they did as a tax dodge.  They were actually still living in NY but claimed to be living in Florida. 

What they needed to do was find a Florida resident, give them a dog and a cell phone and pay for them.  Then the auditors would discover cell phone traces and vet bills in Florida.  Next, a secret refrigerator hidden in the NY kitchen fully stocked with a decoy fridge, empty out in the open.  But I digress.  

5 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:
  4 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

A couple of years ago NY state was sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes. Tracing credit card purchases, mail forwarding, even showing up at the Florida properties to inspect and even inventory the refrigerator in an effort to establish less than 181 days Florida residency so they could collect NY income tax.

In case you wondered, I dont love NY. 

--------------------------------------------------------

So in essence, NY wasnt sending investigators to Florida to investigate former residents for tax purposes, per your previous statement. Sounds like to me a disgruntled ex-residence just bad mouthing NY!!  ?????

Not at all ... a current resident embarrassed to still be living here.  

Although you are correct about me being willing to discuss the glaring shortcomings of the State Government.

Interesting read.  "Wealth Flight" - learned a new term.  

In this case people weren't fleeing NY, they just claimed they did as a tax dodge.  They were actually still living in NY but claimed to be living in Florida. 

What they needed to do was find a Florida resident, give them a dog and a cell phone and pay for them.  Then the auditors would discover cell phone traces and vet bills in Florida.  But I digress.  

That may have been the case for some, but others it was a case of guilty until proven innocent, and with some leverage they settled. Overall,  it was what I expect from NY.  I just hope I'm smart enough to get out before I'm the last person with a job ....paying everyone else's Bills ?????

3 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

That may have been the case for some, but others it was a case of guilty until proven innocent, and with some leverage they settled. Overall,  it was what I expect from NY.  I just hope I'm smart enough to get out before I'm the last person with a job ....paying everyone else's Bills ?????

The COVID bill for NY has got to be pretty high.  I have family in the Western part of the state where COVID had less dramatic impact but they'll all face the same state budget shortfall.  Maybe I'll move there but keep an address in Florida for tax purposes.  And a dog. And a cell phone. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Florida had a rule like this and it's a joke because it's not actively enforced. Flights will still occur, with the honor system the means of tracking. 

Not HAD but HAS.  This Executive Order has not been lifted as yet.  Flights from the 3 afffected states are met by Gov personnel with forms to fill out stating where they will quarantine.  I realize contact after that may be spotty (or non-existant) but it is still in place.

The COVID bill for NY has got to be pretty high.  I have family in the Western part of the state where COVID had less dramatic impact but they'll all face the same state budget shortfall.  Maybe I'll move there but keep an address in Florida for tax purposes.  And a dog. And a cell phone. 

And be sure to only keep expired items in the fridge! ??

We are in a county that has had almost 0 effect. 12000 tests, 113 positive, no new cases in 2 months, and 3 deaths, early on and none of them were locals. I wish we had a cruise port nearby ... perhaps we could host an Oasis class for a few months while everything else gets sorted out! 

Just an idea but given all this infighting between various states in the US would it not be a good idea to follow the old Soviet Union and break up into smaller independent countries? 

Imagine 50 separate countries where previously there was only the one! 

Donald could build big walls dividing each country so there was no movement between them without going through check points and passport control. 

It would certainly make the world serious live up to its name more ? 

4 hours ago, Ray said:

Just an idea but given all this infighting between various states in the US would it not be a good idea to follow the old Soviet Union and break up into smaller independent countries? 

Donald could build big walls dividing each country so there was no movement between them without going through check points and passport control. 

PLEASE don't give anyone ideas....?

5 hours ago, Ray said:

We are still hopeful that the San Andreas fault will jettison California someday.  Then we will work on the New York City and Washington DC areas.   The rest of the country is good for the most part.  I hear upstate New York is good too.

Chicago needs some work but that is too close to me so I'm worried about collateral damage.

22 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

We are still hopeful that the San Andreas fault will jettison California someday.  Then we will work on the New York City and Washington DC areas.   The rest of the country is good for the most part.  I hear upstate New York is good too.

Chicago needs some work but that is too close to me so I'm worried about collateral damage.

Just when I was starting to agree with you....