E.U. May Exclude U.S. as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus

Not surprising in the least. Only good thing I read there is that the list will be re-evaluated every two weeks to deal with the ebb and flow of the virus. So if the US can manage to get its "stuff" together and deal with this properly, we'll eventually be added on to that list.

This story first appeared on Forbes website about 5 days ago yet there has been nothing on tv news/ in newspapers or on UK websites about it. 

Some European countries are desperate for tourists, countries such as Bulgaria, Cyprus and scicily are actually offering to pay for peoples flight and hotels. 

Also Spain has relaxed its 14 day quarantine rule for anyone entering the country

Most EU countries still have bans in place even for other EU countries.

UK has also just implemented a 14 day quarantine rule for anyone entering the country ( rather late doing this )

Pretty sure US travel ban is still in place

US ban is still in place.

I could see people with US passports being turned away...or forced into own-expense 14 day quarantine. I understand that most places want those tourism dollars but think the EU will only allow visitors from places with low infection rates. I read the Forbes article as well. However, I also saw on Spain's tourism board something similar. The UK may not be mentioning the US in name as a banned place but I think other countries are.

37 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The UK may not be mentioning the US in name as a banned place but I think other countries are.

UK has not banned anyone from entering the country, what they have done as mentioned is implement the 14 day quarantine rule.

Obviously is hard to get here with very little flights however it was reported a few weeks ago that Heathrow Airport was still landing 170 flights per day, 10 of which were from New York ( im presuming it was 1 per major airline BA, Vigin, United, Delta etc ) 

48 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

However, I also saw on Spain's tourism board something similar. 

Just read the eu link on this site for travel between eu countries, 

Freedom of movement between eu countries is a law so if borders are opened countries cannot really stop people entering, however they could still implement measures such as quarantine to put people off travelling.

With regards low risk countries, the original post link lists china and vietnam as a countries on both lists, china i understand being on both lists, still a danger but also probably the biggest spenders while on vacation in Europe so countries will want them because they spend and will help the financial situation more than visitors from other countries would.

however vietnam? they are a country that appeared to get it right! 

Complete lockdown of country at an early stage ( no flights ) masks worn etc etc .recorded cases under 400 deaths 0 ( ok figures could be falsified but by how much?) 

Also since UK is no longer a member of the eu thats probably why its not news here ???? 

@Ray Yeah I wasn't for sure because I saw little of travel bans from the UK, just the quarantine. I saw Spain was hoping that visitors from China, the Middle east and a few other countries would come because they spend nice amounts. I also don't think the US is there in terms of wanting to travel. Going to the UK is different than possibly being stuck in an EU country if things get bad.

That's ok. Just look for your cruise itinerary update from Royal............................

Day 1 Barcelona

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising 

Day 4 CocoCay

Day 5 Labadee

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Cruising 

Day 8 Barcelona

I'm not gonna lie.... I would take this itinerary in a heartbeat even if it meant flying from Ohio to Spain and back. ?

I actually like the relaxing cruise days so I would love an itinerary that is half and half. I feel like 8 days is a sweet spot: if we could do 3 long port days, like 8am to 10pm or something, then 4 cruising days, I would be in heaven.

Also I should clarify when I said going to the UK is different. I meant the UK would have direct flights back to the US. In EU I might have to fly to other EU country first, then to UK,  then get home. That is a lot of money and time.

8 hours ago, bytheslice said:

Agree, I would not want to be "stuck" in an EU country or in places with huts. I like the good life and am pampered, like many others?

Must admit there are a few eu countries i wouldn't like to be stuck in but there are some it would be great ? 

What could be better than sitting outside a small cafe in Paris overlooking the seine wasting the day away?

Or A Cafe at the piazza del duomo in Milan people watching or sitting on the banks of lake como with a bottle of wine?

As for countries with huts, they only have huts because they dont have good enough roads for the trailers like other countries... ?

12 hours ago, sryan said:

That's ok. Just look for your cruise itinerary update from Royal............................

Day 1 Barcelona

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising 

Day 4 CocoCay

Day 5 Labadee

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Cruising 

Day 8 Barcelona

I'm not gonna lie.... I would take this itinerary in a heartbeat even if it meant flying from Ohio to Spain and back. ?

That is one FAST ship!

7 minutes ago, bytheslice said:

No need to clarify, it was obvious what your meaning was!

One would think that France which actually had a SST aircraft fly commercially and is part of Airbus the worlds largest airplane manufacturer, would have direct flight to the USA. One would think other EU countries would also have direct flights but as you "accurately" pointed out, ONLY the UK has direct flights!?

Other countries do!

I was meant to be on a KLM flight tomorrow direct from Amsterdam to New York, obviously this was cancelled so its rescheduled for next march however this time im paris direct to New York. 

Europe is actually quite a developed continent, in fact the ships that took your ancestors to the USA were built here ? 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11945174/travel-france-italy-spain-holiday-air-bridges/

Report on how the UK are looking at reducing the quarantine measures for counties/ areas visited or from where visitors have arrived from and when its looking to relax these measures.

USA is seen as high risk and reports indicates it will be Nov/ Dec 

14 hours ago, Ray said:

Europe is actually quite a developed continent, in fact the ships that took your ancestors to the USA were built here ? 

The cruise ships are also built in Europe it seems.

2 hours ago, Ray said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11945174/travel-france-italy-spain-holiday-air-bridges/

Report on how the UK are looking at reducing the quarantine measures for counties/ areas visited or from where visitors have arrived from and when its looking to relax these measures.

USA is seen as high risk and reports indicates it will be Nov/ Dec 

Now the EU can do whatever they want because I'm going to Alaska in Aug 2021 instead of my Allure trans Atlantic this Nov 2020.  

I'm  guessing  that the EU is still outraged that the USA closed her borders to the EU early.  In retrospect, it seems the USA did the right thing in the beginning.  Now, I'm starting to believe in herd immunity.  Personally, I will try to hold out for a vaccine.

It is too soon to worry about my Anthem trans Atlantic to the UK in April 2021.  My preparation for the same cruise in April 2020 won't be a complete waste. I also want to remind the people of the UK that they were the last Europeans to be banned.

19 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I also want to remind the people of the UK that they were the last Europeans to be banned.

Yeah its a shame i cant hop on one of the 10 daily flights from London to New York because of the International Travel Ban ?

And also we were ONLY  last to be banned because US citizens on vacaction needed a place to get home from! Italy is closed make your way to UK taking all luggage and any virus with you ??  so its not as if the US was doing us a favour, in fact you put us more at risk by the uk having to accommodate people from varuous virus hit countries making their way home to the US, you were looking after your own which is only right but that is the only reason Donald let us still fly. And as soon as US citizens were home he shut the door leaving UK citizens stuck in US.

Some countries such as Italy had already imposed no flights before the US, others we about to follow so it didnt really matter as it was happening anyway 

With regards being outraged NOPE!! TBH in Europe its different we dont see the world revolving around the US, it was mentioned on the news and that was really it.

57 minutes ago, Ray said:

And also we were ONLY  last to be banned because US citizens on vacaction needed a place to get home from! Italy is closed make your way to UK taking all luggage and any virus with you ??  so its not as if the US was doing us a favour, in fact you put us more at risk by the uk having to accommodate people from varuous virus hit countries making their way home to the US, you were looking after your own which is only right but that is the only reason Donald let us still fly. And as soon as US citizens were home he shut the door leaving UK citizens stuck in US.

I think it was that nobody knew where the Schengen zone was so there was some confusion.  Everyone knew where the UK was so it became the exit door.   I think it was more about a statement being made that  "countries need borders".

I believe flights returning to Europe from the USA were being allowed so nobody should have been stuck.  In any case, it was a mess and still is.  I just want to move on and go on a cruise. ?

11 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I think it was that nobody knew where the Schengen zone was

Being honest i had never heard of it before, in fact i actually got out an old world map and searched and i still couldnt find it... as a final resort i asked my wife if she knew where it was ! Her reply was simple and straight to the point

Its probably next the the Gspot so waste of time you looking as you cant even find that ????

Aplogies if offended but a little light humour brightens these dark times 

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Aplogies if offended but a little light humour brightens these dark times 

I'm not offended.  My father always said we were Scotch-Irish.  I've been researching that on ancestry.com.  What's your opinion on that?

Just now, Dad2Cue said:

I'm not offended.  My father always said we were Scotch-Irish.  I've been researching that on ancestry.com.  What's your opinion on that?

I have same mix but also i was told im 1/8 english. 

So i donated 2 pints of blood just to make sure the 1/8th was gone ??? 

Ok so thats Americans and  English picked on who's next lol

Looks like the EU ban of Americans is moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

An EU diplomat told CNN that it was very "unlikely" travelers from the US would be allowed in, adding that even though the list had not been finalized "the US's chances are close to zero." The diplomat also said, "with their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

Personally I don't see this as retaliation, it's simple science, the same reason why the US banned the EU in March.  The US didn't banned the EU for political reasons so this action has to be viewed in the same light.  

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Personally I don't see this as retaliation, it's simple science, the same reason why the US banned the EU in March.  The US didn't banned the EU for political reasons so this action has to be viewed in the same light.  

I agree. I wouldn't let us in at this point, either.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Looks like the EU ban of Americans is moving forward.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

An EU diplomat told CNN that it was very "unlikely" travelers from the US would be allowed in, adding that even though the list had not been finalized "the US's chances are close to zero." The diplomat also said, "with their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

It looks as though The UK is allowing people from Spain, France and Greece to enter soon without any quarantine restrictions. 

Other countries will have to wait until their R rate, death Rate etc drop to an acceptable level. 

Now this is all well and good but lets say Pedro from Barcelona has been in Germany (where cases have risen again dramatically) the week before travelling to the UK. 

As travel between eu countries does not require a visa or passport stamp there is no record of anyones movement in previous weeks so we have no idea where the people arriving from countries listed as OK have been 

4 hours ago, Ray said:

It looks as though The UK is allowing people from Spain, France and Greece to enter soon without any quarantine restrictions. 

Other countries will have to wait until their R rate, death Rate etc drop to an acceptable level. 

Now this is all well and good but lets say Pedro from Barcelona has been in Germany (where cases have risen again dramatically) the week before travelling to the UK. 

As travel between eu countries does not require a visa or passport stamp there is no record of anyones movement in previous weeks so we have no idea where the people arriving from countries listed as OK have been 

No system will be perfect and only completely shutting borders to everyone including citizens will be absolute.  Some countries did that and stranded their citizens around the world including some ship crew.  That wasn't a very good solution either.

There may be ones and twos that slip through but contrast that to 400 people on a plane or 3,000 on a transatlantic cruise from America or country X as this evolves.  That's got to help slow spread from hotspot regions.   

The only problem with applying the ban to all of the U.S is that includes regions or states that are doing quite well, as good or better than the EU.  The U.S. is pretty sizable both in population and land size.  The EU is made up of a number of small countries that are easier to apply labels to and definitions.

I get it, it's easier to create definitions based on a passport compared to driver's license but if we stop for a moment and try to reimagine changes to better determine how to move into reopening we must think beyond traditional measures. 

This applies to domestic policy within the U.S. as well.  I get it, it's easier to label people from their state of residence rather than their county but in so doing we prevent areas that are less impacted from reaping economic gains.   

Expecting government to be dynamic and agile is an act of futility but that is exactly what we need to minimize the economic impact and hardship caused by the pandemic.  It's a shame that it's governments that are causing as much or more pain than the virus itself.  We need to find a way to allow commerce when there is less potential impact from spread regardless of the state or country or continent or hemisphere. 

The virus doesn't know borders and neither can our response. 

On 6/23/2020 at 7:56 PM, sryan said:

Day 1 Barcelona

Day 2 Cruising

Day 3 Cruising 

Day 4 CocoCay

Day 5 Labadee

Day 6 Cruising

Day 7 Cruising 

Day 8 Barcelona

I was bored so I did the math on that one;

You would have to go at 66.28kts from Barcelona to Cococay

And then 72.22kts on the way back from Labadee to Barcelona.

1 hour ago, Greg787 said:

I was bored so I did the math on that one;

You would have to go at 66.28kts from Barcelona to Cococay

And then 72.22kts on the way back from Labadee to Barcelona.

If they were to push it a bit on the way back and reach 76.4699 kts ...would temporal displacement occur? ?? ...and if it did would that mean an extra free sea day? ??

back to the future GIF

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

In the Netflix movie "Like Father" the ship sails from NYC and visits Jamaica then back to NYC on a 7 night cruise. 

If they can do it for a movie surely they can do it from Barcelona.  

Also just out of curiosity, I calculated that route too. Here's how that would work:

image.png.9e0871d2ec5382d80c4dce217fefab9f.png

21.49kts there and 23.19kts back. (pretty much the absolute max they can run at.)

...now I probably should get back to work, but I'll consider this as part of my work ?