Vaccine optimism....maybe.....if youre into that kind of thing

https://apnews.com/a36ac8c2b3edf7f9c41f850e945c32e8?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Fauci (aware some of you dont like him....) seems to think its when, not if, and it may be here by end of year or early in 21......I sail in March, and since my wife is an RN and will HAVE to get it, I will get it too (if she turns into a zombie, I need to be a zombie too)....so Im hopeful its ready EARLY '21.

LETS SAIL!

r and r vacation GIF by Hallmark Channel

4 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

https://apnews.com/a36ac8c2b3edf7f9c41f850e945c32e8?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Fauci (aware some of you dont like him....) seems to think its when, not if, and it may be here by end of year or early in 21......I sail in March, and since my wife is an RN and will HAVE to get it, I will get it too (if she turns into a zombie, I need to be a zombie too)....so Im hopeful its ready EARLY '21.

LETS SAIL!

r and r vacation GIF by Hallmark Channel

Nothing not to like about Fauci unless people believe in insane conspiracy theories. I read 10-20 stories a day on vaccines. A lot of interesting and promising things going on. Sorrento therapeutics is doing some interesting work as well. As long as very serious people and agencies say its fully safe I will get the vaccine. I get the Flu vaccine with no issues, this will just be another one.  

And no I don't believe Bill Gates is trying to implant a chip to track my movements....I already have a cell phone that does that. ?

12 minutes ago, bytheslice said:

And exactly why is that specific date(election day) the one you typed? 

Your political views should remain yours and not be repeatedly posted on a cruise forum.

1. I have never posted a political view on this forum,  @Matt has a rule about that and I believe it should be followed.

2. My comment wasn't politically motivated, it was a commentary on the influences of flawed bureaucracy that keeps us from cruising. A system that is an equal opportunity offender, it effects all sides.

5 hours ago, bytheslice said:

You started a thread on questions to ask Michael Bayley. For those reading & who would respond, you added that they "not ask the question as if they were members of the White House press corps". Reading " I have never posted a political view on this forum", my reaction is.?

You clearly have me mixed up with someone else. I neither started the thread you referenced, nor did I comment on it.

I now remember why I have NEVER been even tempted to have anything to do with Social Media. I stumbled upon this forum last year and decided to join the conversation. My expectations did not include this.  *sigh*

Edited by Ogilthorpe
Reduced level of frustration in final sentence

@Ogilthorpe I would very much agree with you, only I think the Friday before the 1st Tuesday in November to give people hope and changes some minds. I stated this in the CDC post...... but they don't cure a lot of things because money is to be made in stabilization of a virus or disease. The vaccine may imitate the antibodies people may or may not get, 3 months or even 4, so that we would have to get the shot at least 2x a year. Also I stay away from stuff like FB, Twitter, etc but for the most part am okay with this board. Most people are respectful but some people like to be opinionated by what they read, ignore and continue to enjoy the site.

1 hour ago, bytheslice said:

You repeatedly indicate your political beliefs on this travel forum just as you did in your initial post in this thread. You specifically indicated no test would be released before Election Day. You avoided answering why, so I will ask again. Of all the days what made you write election day? Why is that day significant?

You started a thread on questions to ask Michael Bayley. For those reading & who would respond, you added that they "not ask the question as if they were members of the White House press corps". Reading " I have never posted a political view on this forum", my reaction is.?

You mean this thread NOT written by Ogilthorpe?  and which doesn't appear to have anything political in it?

4 hours ago, bytheslice said:

You repeatedly indicate your political beliefs on this travel forum just as you did in your initial post in this thread. You specifically indicated no test would be released before Election Day. You avoided answering why, so I will ask again. Of all the days what made you write election day? Why is that day significant?

@bytheslice I started that thread, not @Ogilthorpe. 'Tis me! ? And, truly "I have never posted a political view on this forum." ?

1 hour ago, bytheslice said:

Still waiting to hear why no vaccine will be introduced prior to election day. Would really like to know you reasoning behind that specific date but I understand why you choose not 

At times such as these I recall history and look for guidance, and focus on Proverbs 26:4 and 26:5. Although, I prefer Mark Twain's interpretation.  ?????

From what I heard last, there are several vaccines in development and testing phases and they are very promising. Also because of the current promising results, the manufactures are making 10's of millions of their vaccines now in the hopes of once given the green light (perhaps early fall) they can be distributed right away instead of waiting till the green light, then making them, and us having to wait longer to get them.

I will tell you my reason I agree to that specific date of vaccine distribution.......COVID is no longer just a airborne virus, it is a political ploy. Just like the idea of cruising so "soon." People have turned it into something to prove their agenda.

Nonetheless, I welcome a vaccine, even if it only works for a third of the population, it would be a deterrent to infections. I just don't think it will be properly ready though before 2021. Also how many people would actually get the vaccine?

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Also how many people would actually get the vaccine?

rob riggle raise hand GIF by Team Coco

Im not a conspiracy theorist.....at all. Im aware the newest vaccine may not be the one we end up with as the best vaccine....but ill get whatever comes out.  Like I said, my wife is an RN,  and will have to get it, so by default....i will too.....because i do what she says. Look....if something comes out that lets everything get back to normal, sign me up. I havent seen my dad since January, am tired of working from home, I love my kids but I am a better father to them sane, and would love for them to be at summer day camp and daycare while I work.....AND I WANT TO GO ON MY CRUISE. I dont give two rats tails about politics and all that....im neither rich enough, or poor enough to ever feel the effects of that hot garbage. LETS F-ING GO!  

18 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

rob riggle raise hand GIF by Team Coco

Im not a conspiracy theorist.....at all. Im aware the newest vaccine may not be the one we end up with as the best vaccine....but ill get whatever comes out.  Like I said, my wife is an RN,  and will have to get it, so by default....i will too.....because i do what she says. Look....if something comes out that lets everything get back to normal, sign me up. I havent seen my dad since January, am tired of working from home, I love my kids but I am a better father to them sane, and would love for them to be at summer day camp and daycare while I work.....AND I WANT TO GO ON MY CRUISE. I dont give two rats tails about politics and all that....im neither rich enough, or poor enough to ever feel the effects of that hot garbage. LETS F-ING GO!  

I'm the same, I'm not a conspiracy guy. As long as it's deemed safe I will get it. If it gives me immunity for a year at time I'm fine with that. Last I read is I think Astrazeneca said 2 shots of the vaccine is better than the 1 time shot. I guess that gives you a year roughly of immunity. 

I read a while back that proper Phase III trials are incredibly time-consuming. First they have to find a population center that makes for a good candidate (NYC was being floated at the time the article was written, because the virus was still so rampant). Then they have to actually find people who are willing to take part in the study; not only willing to be given an experimental vaccine that may or may not work and may or may not give them bad side effects, but also willing to accept the fact they might get a placebo injection.

THEN, they have to wait. And wait. And wait. What for? For people to start getting infected (or not). Those who get infected have to report it in, and  because it's double-blind (even the testers don't know who got which), they just gather that info for 6 or 9 months. Then they can finally see if there was any significant reduction in infections.

Oh, and what's "significant"? Not 100% elimination, at least in this case. What I read was that they'd be ecstatic if they saw a 50% reduction, and consider it "good" if there was a 30% reduction.

So if end of 2020 is accurate, they would have to be starting Phase III on at least a couple of these vaccines in a very quiet way that the press hasn't gotten wind of. I think 2021 is more likely, at least for any vaccine that is Phase III approved by the FDA; when those trials start, you know the press is going to find out and make headlines out of that news.

Cancellations are getting closer to our Nov 30th, still hold out hope they can find a way forward. If not we have 2 booked for 21. There are a bunch of trials going on, hopefully there will be more than one vaccine. Fauci seems to be saying the possibilities are pretty good that they will find a vaccine relatively, soon just hope it is sooner than later. 

I honestly think they will start in Sept...with or without a vaccine. However we all need to prepare for period of "new normal." Even if RCCI decides to run all ships at 50% or more capacity, it will still be changes.

I also asked how many people would get the vaccine because there are a lot of anti-vaxxers. Add those into the fold of people who "don't believe in" COVID and a good chunk of the population won't get the shot. Would the cruise industry force people to have the vaccinations? I am very much sure the Chad's and Karen's are not here for that.

28 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I honestly think they will start in Sept...with or without a vaccine. However we all need to prepare for period of "new normal." Even if RCCI decides to run all ships at 50% or more capacity, it will still be changes.

I also asked how many people would get the vaccine because there are a lot of anti-vaxxers. Add those into the fold of people who "don't believe in" COVID and a good chunk of the population won't get the shot. Would the cruise industry force people to have the vaccinations? I am very much sure the Chad's and Karen's are not here for that.

karen walker lol GIF by Will & Grace THE only "Karen" I wanna party with.....no offense if anyones name is actually Karen, im sure youre super cool. 

The flu vaccine is only effective between 19% and 53% of the time, depending on the flu season. (I got this info from the CDC website) So, I'm not putting my faith in a new vaccine that hasn't even went through the same rigors as the flu vaccine. I also know that every time my husband has gotten the flu vaccine he has gotten pneumonia (and yes it was more than once). He now refuses to get it. I much prefer to use other means of not getting sick, ya know like washing my hands and not licking strangers. That is just my preference. You do what you think is right for you.

A vaccine may be required before the CDC will consume a chill pill.  

Don't get me wrong, they are saving lives right now but looking down the road they are likely to maintain their stance longer than necessary out of an abundance of caution. 

When a vaccine is available regardless of how effective it is, it will give the CDC an "out" and justification for lifting or easing the cruise ban.   

Vaccines also ease liability, regardless of whether or not a person chooses to partake. I got the flu shot a handful of times and every time I get it, I get sick. I hadn't had the flu in five years but in 2019 I got the shot because of traveling and of course I got sick. Unfortunately with COVID those are the breaks. If you want to rush back to "normal" you are going to have to suffer with a rushed product.

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Vaccines also ease liability, regardless of whether or not a person chooses to partake. I got the flu shot a handful of times and every time I get it, I get sick. I hadn't had the flu in five years but in 2019 I got the shot because of traveling and of course I got sick. Unfortunately with COVID those are the breaks. If you want to rush back to "normal" you are going to have to suffer with a rushed product.

I just hope that they don't make it mandatory. A rushed product is dangerous, but what happens if it causes a worse problem with side effects and allergic reactions? The flu vaccine was like that at one point before they stopped using eggs and such for it. Unfortunately, when most things first appear on the scene, whether it is vaccine or a new electronic device, there are a few "bugs" in it. I say let them take it first and we see what happens to them. THEY can be the guinea pigs if they decide to make it mandatory.

@Mrs. Thomas I don't think the government will make it mandatory but I wonder about cruise ships. As a leisurely activity, they could sort of get away with enforcing vaccinations. I personally won't be getting the vaccine until extensive research and testing have been done, even then its only a 50% chance.

24 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Mrs. Thomas I don't think the government will make it mandatory but I wonder about cruise ships. As a leisurely activity, they could sort of get away with enforcing vaccinations. I personally won't be getting the vaccine until extensive research and testing have been done, even then its only a 50% chance.

My fear is that schools will make it mandatory for children....Kind of like kids who are not given all the non-flu vaccines are not allowed in most public/private school settings.....I am fearful of giving anything to my kids that I feel is rushed......

43 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

My fear is that schools will make it mandatory for children....Kind of like kids who are not given all the non-flu vaccines are not allowed in most public/private school settings.....I am fearful of giving anything to my kids that I feel is rushed......

Agreed! Cruise or not, my kids aren't going to be getting some untested or tried vaccine because they MIGHT get something that has a 96%+ recovery rate in people of good health, especially children.

@Ampurp85 I agree. The cruise lines could get away with it, but I don't think they want to do that considering how many people from different countries may not be able to get it. The cruise industry has a very diverse consumer base.

I will say the other vaccinations are quite different: having to get vaccinated for the measles or chicken pox is not the same as the flu....or in this case COVID.  I also believe that if they make a vaccine it will be available worldwide, this is a pandemic. My point still stands that as a leisure activity they have a higher chance of forcing a vaccination. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a shot. It would be no different than requiring shots to visit certain developing countries. Also, remember that some of the biggest travelers, those from Asian countries, are working on vaccines as well.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I will say the other vaccinations are quite different: having to get vaccinated for the measles or chicken pox is not the same as the flu....or in this case COVID.  I also believe that if they make a vaccine it will be available worldwide, this is a pandemic. My point still stands that as a leisure activity they have a higher chance of forcing a vaccination. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a shot. It would be no different than requiring shots to visit certain developing countries. Also, remember that some of the biggest travelers, those from Asian countries, are working on vaccines as well.

I am just fearful that government schools will mandate that all people must get the vaccination for COVID-19, if it comes out.  That is my concern.  I do not like to take any new drug, as it cannot have had a good longitudinal study performed.  I agree it is a different kind of vaccine (probably....as the information is just not fully known), but people are acting so differently about this as compared to H1N1.  Our government leaders may try to mandate it just like masks.  I am not concerned about the cost (I agree...people who can afford to fly and take cruises on vacations can most assuredly afford a vaccine....) of the potential vaccine but the safety of it (don't even get me started on the debates over the risks and rewards of Gardasil).