Suggestions of what to hand carry on ship before you get luggage

Lora

Any suggestions of what to hand carry on the ship when we embark that we might need / want before our luggage is delivered to our stateroom?  Don't want to tote around too much but don't want to wish I had something either.

Any suggestions of what to hand carry on the ship when we embark that we might need / want before our luggage is delivered to our stateroom?  Don't want to tote around too much but don't want to wish I had something either.

Since I have a child, I always pack swim suits as the pools are empty on the first day.  My wife stays with the luggage and we either wear our trunks under our clothes or change in the bathroom.  It's a great way to get some pool time without any crowds.

Other suggestions might include anything you can't live without if it gets lost, including medication, computer/tablet, toiletries, etc.  I also pack that night's attire so that I don't have to worry about unpacking immediately if the luggage is delayed.

In my carry on it a complete change of cloths, swim suit and anything I would need for the first day. My carry on also includes phone, laptop, camera and and any credit cards, funds etc. I also carry complete documentation, with the idea that even if my bags are never delivered I can complete the cruise. And remember you only need to carry to the ship. Your carry on bag could be a roller bag that you check until you get to the ship and then roll it along. 

I personally carry on too much every cruise, and look like a Sherpa at embarkation lunch.  

Things to be sure you carry on:

-travel docs

-money

-medications

-anything that might break if 47 other bags are stacked upon it

-items of particular value (expensive jewelry, camera equip, etc)

-any clothing you want/need for day 1 (pool clothes, change of clothes for dinner)

I am going with Todd on this one.  I have a friend who just recently (NCL) had his bags lost - never got ANY luggage delivered the entire cruise.  I recommend taking enough with you that you COULD survive the entire cruise, if necessary.  Obviously, you could never carry all of your clothing....but enough essentials that if push came to shove, you could survive.  Toiletries, 1 complete change of clothing, medications, documentation and anything you would NOT want to lose (cameras, jewelry, etc.).

I personally carry on too much every cruise, and look like a Sherpa at embarkation lunch.  

Things to be sure you carry on:

-travel docs

-money

-medications

-anything that might break if 47 other bags are stacked upon it

-items of particular value (expensive jewelry, camera equip, etc)

-any clothing you want/need for day 1 (pool clothes, change of clothes for dinner)

Ditto to everything Billy said.  

The heavy things I am always saddled with are laptop, cameras, bottles of wine and other electronics.

On our first cruise this April we flew down to FLL the day before with carryons that had essential stuff we could not live without if our main luggage got lost. (Such as one formal outfit, one bathing suit,one casual outfit, all meds etc.)Then when all our luggage did arrive with us I repacked one carry on of valuables, bathing suits, evening clothes for that night. When our hotel shuttle got us to the ship we handed over all the bags to the porter except that one first day bag which I kept. By the way, it was a rolling bag of carryon size with spinner wheels. Can't say enough about trading in your old luggage and getting luggage with spinner wheels. Rather than dragging your luggage with one way wheels, you walk that carry on!

So Billy, your the guy that hits me in the head going down the airplane aisle with the bag on one shoulder, the backpack on your back and pulling a carryon roller bag that gets stuck on every seat as you go by. I know you, in fact, coming back from Las Vegas today, you hit me in the head with the bag on your shoulder. Row 7 Aisle Seat C, remember?

Only kidding, but I really did get hit in the head three times by people who don't understand the rule of one carryon bag.

Only kidding, but I really did get hit in the head three times by people who don't understand the rule of one carryon bag.

That rule isn't quite that hard and fast.

An individual can bring on several carry-on items depending on what they are. The basic rules include one "carry-on" (usually a rollaboard suitcase) and one "personal item" (which can be a backpack). In addition, there are exemptions for certain other items that can be brought onboard and don't count in the carry-on limits (such as medical equipment like CPAP devices).

Marc,

I just came back from Vegas yesterday, Wednesday, afternoon. Worst two flights I have ever taken with American, the flight to Vegas and the flight home. I watched, while sitting in the terminal, the gate agent tell several people she would not let them on the plane because of all the luggage they were trying to carryon. One woman had a duffel bag, a backpack, a rolling carryon and a tote bag the size of a paper shopping bag. The agent told her to check two, she wouldn't charge her for the two and the woman argued with her, telling her that one was a tote bag, (a purse, a handbag). The agent actually pointed at another passenger that was sitting near her and said "What she has in her lap is a tote bag, you have a shopping bag." The woman finally gave up her two bags but it sure was something to watch. The agent explained that if she had a medical device that was a necessity, you can bring those on the plane but they are stowed up front with the flight attendants. Otherwise, everyone was limited to two bags. I have never seen them do this before. Here is what American says about medical devices: If you’re bringing an assistive device as a carry-on, it will not count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked.

Another flight that was getting ready to board announced that the Captain said there was no more room for carryon bags, so anyone still having to board would have to check their carryon, with the exception of a purse/handbag or a laptop case, everything else was going in the belly of the plane. There were still around 50 passengers boarding and they were furious. They wanted the passengers already on the plane, that had too many pieces to have theirs taken off and checked so they could bring their carryon with them. It was something to watch. At least I had entertainment while waiting for 3 hours because my flight was delayed.

1 - Small pack of Clorox or Lysol wipes. When you get to your cabin, wipe everything down. It's best to be extra careful.

2 - Wine or champagne. It's much easier then having to go get your luggage in the "naughty room".

Do you really want to see a 100% on carry on bag rule? So no duty free shopping, and since most woman carry a handbag.... that is a bag and one item so no other carry on allowed? If the airlines allows ladies hand bags they must also allow men to have a personal hand bag.  So you can see in part the problem with one carry on rule.

Also I seen hand bags carried by both men and women that are larger than most checked items. Reynaline has a couple of shoulder hand bag purses, that are big enough to pack a weekend into them.

Todd,

I know what you're saying but on my recent flights from Dallas to Vegas and return, men as well as women were carrying three or more bags. Men tend to carry a briefcase type bag or a laptop bag and a backpack or carryon roller bag. Women have their purse, which I don't do that I have a backpack that I use as my purse and that is all I carry on the plane. Women also are seen carrying shopping bags, carryon roller luggage, laptop bags. As I said this woman that the gate attendant stopped, had a shopping bag, which she tried to say was her tote bag, and one roller bag, a duffel bag sitting on top of the roller bag and a backpack, that is four pieces. It needs to stop somewhere. The flight from Vegas to Dallas, I saw men who had three bags, but the gate attendant didn't stop them.

What I am saying is a universal rule for all airlines, which will never happen, about what you can carry on and stick to the rule. Make people check their luggage if they bring too much.

firegal,

Again if you go to a strictly  one carry on your handbag or purse will be your one carry on  item.  Do you really want to be limited to your handbag/ purse only? And if they allow women to have two carry ons they need to allow men. It is much more complicated than it seems.

Todd

The issue here is really enforcement of the rules that already exists. American, for instance, allows one carry-on bag and one personal bag/item that must be smaller than the carry-on piece. Normal size purses, jackets, etc. are exempt. As described here, there was simply an issue with the rules not being enforced.

Thanks Doc that was what I was saying. Any airline I have been on, United, Southwest, American, Delta, Alaska, Virgin, it is some do some don't, and I think it depends on how full the plane is, when it is full, they start restricting. I feel two per person, for women, a handbag/purse and a carry on and for men, a briefcase, laptop carrier and a carry on. That was all I was saying.

Thanks for your input Doc, I appreciate it.

Candie