ship positioning during covid

klc317

I like to check in on the Marine Traffic website and see where all the cruise ships are during this time while no cruises are going on.    I wonder what the criteria is for where they go and where they sit?  I know they have to come back into port to re supply and re fuel and they do have to move after a certain time of just sitting adrift or at anchor to operate some functions on the ship.

One thing Ive noticed is that Empress and Majesty have been sitting around in the English Channel for a couple weeks.   I thought they might have sent them to return crew members home from that area but its been quite awhile that they've been sitting there which seems unusual for those two.

2 hours ago, klc317 said:

I like to check in on the Marine Traffic website and see where all the cruise ships are during this time while no cruises are going on.    I wonder what the criteria is for where they go and where they sit?  I know they have to come back into port to re supply and re fuel and they do have to move after a certain time of just sitting adrift or at anchor to operate some functions on the ship.

One thing Ive noticed is that Empress and Majesty have been sitting around in the English Channel for a couple weeks.   I thought they might have sent them to return crew members home from that area but its been quite awhile that they've been sitting there which seems unusual for those two.

Those ships did return crew to Southampton, so it makes sense they'd hang out there, instead of coming all the way back across the Atlantic.  Empress isn't due to show up in Miami until late October, so my "guess" is that she'll stay there to bring fresh crew back to the Caribbean once sailing resumes.  Royal is planning on putting some ships into a cold storage type of thing, and I expect it would take time to make those arrangements, so that would happen in Europe, I'd expect.  All guesses but makes sense to me.