Looking for Norwegian fjords review with pics

FionaMG

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, twangster said:

Keep in mind if the proposed or scheduled limitations continue on the timeline most cruise ships will be banned by 2025 due to zero emissions requirements.  

If Norway's Fjords are on your bucket list don't dilly dally.  

This will also affect Icon class, right? Even with their LNG-fueled propulsion, they still have some emissions?

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

This will also affect Icon class, right? Even with their LNG-fueled propulsion, they still have some emissions?

Yes.  Zero emissions.  LNG reduces emissions but does not eliminate them. 

Some Norwegian ferry companies are said to be looking at hybrid electric.  Run on fossil fuel outside of the fjords but switch to electric or other zero emission technology when in the fjords.    I think the intent was to force more aggressive investment in this movement without a clear direction how it would be accomplished with today's technology.  

2 hours ago, ericfromripp said:

Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful. ?

I visited Norway once, many years ago, to compete in an athletics competition. The hosts did organise some sightseeing for us but obviously it was very limited due to time constraints.

I have always planned to go back. The cruise we lost this year was the second attempt, having lost the first one to a family wedding. Hopefully it will be third time lucky, if not next year then definitely 2022. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, ericfromripp said:

the athletics competition wasn't the Olympics by chance in 1994? 

No, way before that, late 1970s or early 1980s. It was an international track and field meeting between Scotland and Norway. It was at a place called Øvre Årdal. The views on the transfer from Oslo Airport were amazing. Unfortunately, I was off form and had a really bad run that day, but apart from that I absolutely loved it.