Cruise industry announces US sailing suspension extended until Sept. 15

CLIA Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruise Operations from U.S. Ports

WASHINGTON, DC (19 June 2020)Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) issued the following statement today to announce that the association’s ocean-going cruise line members will voluntarily extend the suspension of cruise operations from U.S. ports until 15 September 2020.

"Due to the ongoing situation within the U.S. related to COVID-19, CLIA member cruise lines have decided to voluntarily extend the period of suspended passenger operations. The current No Sail Order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will expire on 24 July, and although we had hoped that cruise activity could resume as soon as possible after that date, it is increasingly clear that more time will be needed to resolve barriers to resumption in the United States.

"Although we are confident that future cruises will be healthy and safe, and will fully reflect the latest protective measures, we also feel that it is appropriate to err on the side of caution to help ensure the best interests of our passengers and crewmembers. We have therefore decided to further extend our suspension of operations from U.S. ports until 15 September. The additional time will also allow us to consult with the CDC on measures that will be appropriate for the eventual resumption of cruise operations.

"This voluntary suspension applies to all CLIA members to which the No Sail Order applied (vessels with capacity to carry 250 persons or more). CLIA member cruise lines will continually evaluate the evolving situation and make a determination as to whether a further extension is necessary."

In 2018, the cruise industry supported over 421,000 jobs in the United States, with every 30 cruisers from U.S. ports supporting one American job. Each day of the suspension of cruise operations in the U.S. results in a total loss of approximately $110 million in economic activity and up to 800 American jobs. For more information about the economic impact of the cruise industry in the United States, including the top ten states benefitting from cruise activity, please visit: CLIA 2018 Economic Analysis.

Just keeps going....I fully expect/wont be surprised it will be extended to the end of the year......especially  seeing as some  experts are saying a 2nd wave will prob come this fall and it could be worse.

I dont buy into it or care to be honest about covid…..but I feel like there will be a lot more delays and cancellations to come which could bankrupt the cruise industry......among others of course

Just now, Mark B said:

I hope they start on the 15th. I've got one scheduled on Sep 18...

I was thinking about you.  I am the week after on EOS......I looked into Lift & Shift, and there are no similar cruises announced for Galveston to do it for either of us....(just a longer Bahamas and some Caribbean cruises).

There will not be any cruises this year into next year. I would guess next spring but it would be really stupid to guess because no one knows. So our May Oasis cruise cancelled, rescheduled cruise Sept. is now cancelled. I know people say these lines have enough money to last till 2022 but I am doubting any of them can last that long. If they aren't up and running by next summer one of the big three are going under. I cannot see it any other way. They have no revenue. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

There will not be any cruises this year into next year. I would guess next spring but it would be really stupid to guess because no one knows. So our May Oasis cruise cancelled, rescheduled cruise Sept. is not cancelled. I know people say these lines have enough money to last till 2022 but I am doubting any of them can last that long. If they aren't up and running by next summer one of the big three are going under. I cannot see it any other way. They have no revenue. 

Yep! Reminds me ... Travel Insurance LOL

4 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

I was thinking about you.  I am the week after on EOS......I looked into Lift & Shift, and there are no similar cruises announced for Galveston to do it for either of us....(just a longer Bahamas and some Caribbean cruises).

We have our final payment due today/tomorrow... Guess I'll still make it, and hope for the best!

1 minute ago, Mark B said:

We have our final payment due today/tomorrow... Guess I'll still make it, and hope for the best!

Now I'm regretting now holding out on our late August Mariner cruise so we could get all our money back instead of another FCC (which is a problem having a few when you can only apply 1/cruise).

This ups the pessimism more than just a bit.

image.png.098d9cd255c0ef29d5f76e2b8b736202.png

The hopeful comment is just that. I do not predict any productive dialog with the CDC. The information the CDC needs is that cruise lines are already taking extraordinary measures to be safe and that there is a willing public who want to spend money on these products. It will fall on deaf ears though, and there is nothing voters can do to stop the government from just doing whatever it wants.

39 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

There will not be any cruises this year into next year. I would guess next spring but it would be really stupid to guess because no one knows. So our May Oasis cruise cancelled, rescheduled cruise Sept. is now cancelled. I know people say these lines have enough money to last till 2022 but I am doubting any of them can last that long. If they aren't up and running by next summer one of the big three are going under. I cannot see it any other way. They have no revenue. 

I have my doubts any one of the big 3 lines could last until 2022 w/o sailing. I don’t think they make it out of 2020 personally. It’s not out of the question that the RC Blog morphs into a tribute site where we all post about our pre-COVID19 experiences before the industry went bust. Sad but not out of the question. 

I just got the details of my rescheduled cruise for October 4th straightened out this morning and now I’m reading this....it took weeks to get my credit figured out if they have to do it again I fear I’m going to loss money.  They’ve already been holding thousands of dollars of my money a year not sure what to do about making another payment.  Guess I have to decide how much I’m willing to lose.

I have always been pessimistic, according to some posters?, but I think they will cruise this year. I almost wish i had placed a bet in Vegas because I had middle September as my restart date. I stand by that date with October 1st be the latest possible restart date. Even with a second wave, that won't really happen as the 1st hasn't left, I cannot see them scraping the fall and winter season. I can see the ban being lifted on Aug 1st but that the cruise lines will need the next 45 days to get everything in order. The CDC are being douches, they won't extend but they won't approve until the last minute. Which would have left the lines scrambling and rushing, resulting in further delays. By voluntarily choosing to extend, they give themselves time to do things right. I think by Aug some international travel will be opened and countries will be more accepting of cruises.

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have always been pessimistic, according to some posters?, but I think they will cruise this year. I almost wish i had placed a bet in Vegas because I had middle September as my restart date. I stand by that date with October 1st be the latest possible restart date. Even with a second wave, that won't really happen as the 1st hasn't left, I cannot see them scraping the fall and winter season. I can see the ban being lifted on Aug 1st but that the cruise lines will need the next 45 days to get everything in order. The CDC are being douches, they won't extend but they won't approve until the last minute. Which would have left the lines scrambling and rushing, resulting in further delays. By voluntarily choosing to extend, they give themselves time to do things right. I think by Aug some international travel will be opened and countries will be more accepting of cruises.

I'm with you. I hope my job lifts my 14 day quarantine too but not holding my breathe. Already told my manager I'm going if they sale and not to expect me back for 3 weeks I have the Vaca time since literally every one of my other plans  got squashed

Cruiseliners will not survive going 8+ months without revenue. Expect to see ships being sold and iteniaries canceled if they cancel the rest of 2020.

@ehw51 I don't think its wishful thinking, it is probably a realistic estimation. Remember RCCI voluntarily chose to suspend cruises in the beginning and then the CDC issued a ban. I am sure RCCI know what they are doing. Fain started to vaguely walk back on that Aug 1st date in I think May. When you consider NCL saying the CDC has been giving them the runaround, I can see RCCI  wheels spinning to counteract that....aka the blue ribbon panel. I am sure some time in July we will hear some decent if not good news.

This is beyond ridiculous! The Cruise Line Executives really continue to be sitting pretty collecting their enormous salaries while hurting all of those around them in the industry. Have some FAITH in your product! Have some empathy for your travel partners besides putting out videos that say pretty much nothing at this point, be transparent!  While you're at it Fain get a haircut and wash your own hands, clearly you have washed your hands of all who support you! And where are our REFUNDS?? Why can I still book sailings in August 2020?  Shame on you!

15 minutes ago, ehw51 said:

Maybe wishful thinking, but to use 9/15 instead of just going to 10/1, makes me hope that they have seen a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Keeping my fingers crossed, at least We don´t sail till the end of Nov. (hopefully)

Or maybe they want to not have to give half a month of cruise refunds and also to spread out the workload for their staff.....I think it is just spreading it out at this point unless RCI gives us a real plan.

Just now, RBRSKI said:

It blows my mind that Royal hasn't updated their site yet!  Wait let me check on last time, wait, wait, wait, time stamp 5:46 6/19/20, NOPE!

Talking about dragging the anchor!   LOL

That little gerbil powering IT can only work so hard.....It went into overtime yesterday...

3 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

That little gerbil powering IT can only work so hard.....It went into overtime yesterday...

I was surprised to find out today that I got my FCC for my Symphony sailing on 7/18/20 so certain things might be powered by something stronger then a gerbil!  LOL

3 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

It blows my mind that Royal hasn't updated their site yet!  Wait let me check on last time, wait, wait, wait, time stamp 5:46 6/19/20, NOPE!

Talking about dragging the anchor!   LOL

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they are putting the final polish on whatever statement ... just thought we would have heard their official announcement by 5PM EST. As of right now, we just got dumped by our boyfriends friend :). LOL

5 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

My question is will they allow us to "lift and shift" even though its now cancelled? Can you only do that before Royal cancels?

They should unless they change it again... starting with the announcement of 5/20/20 (global cancellation of cruises from 6/12/20-7/31/20), they added Lift & Shift as a 3rd option... just be aware that the deadline for L&S for a cancelled cruise is not the same as the deadline for the CWC voluntary L&S which is still 8/1/20. Two different policies and links on Royals website!

Here were the options from that round of global cancellations on 5/20/20 - see Matt's post: 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/05/20/royal-caribbean-will-cancel-all-sailings-through-july-31-due-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR2f-HZyv5Utzf1U5DOcHXdfgdjwj_X0D6_tXS-u2EiEYqccmlb106qmi7w

july31cancellationsrefunds.jpg

Here is the current policy for Lift & Shift (specific to global cancellations) on Royal's site... remember that the first date listed is the cancellation date (eg. May 20th, 2020), not the sail date. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates  (click "Read More" link to expand to see Lift & Shift for current global cancellations)...

What happens if you want to move your cruise?

Lift and Shift (Only available for sailings cancelled as part of our global suspension on May 20th, 2020 or after) : If you prefer to move your existing booking to a 2021 sailing – we’re happy to move you! We will price protect the original pricing and/or promotion on the same itinerary, length, product, and stateroom category as your original sailing within 4 weeks (before or after) of the original sail date in 2021. For example, if you are moving from a July 30th, 2020 sailing, you can move to a sailing that is the same itinerary, length, product, and stateroom category, and the sail date between June 30th, 2021 – August 30th, 2021.

If your sailing was cancelled on:

May 20th, 2020, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us by June 10th to move to a new sailing. If we don’t hear from you, we will automatically issue your Future Cruise Credit.

June 2nd, 2020, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us by June 17th to move to a new sailing. If we don’t hear from you, we will automatically issue your Future Cruise Credit.

June 9th or 11th, 2020, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us by June 25th to move to a new sailing.