CLIA Agrees to Cancel Sailings through 9/15 for all partners?

@DunkelBierJay I mean the world pandemic just means global outbreak....which it still would be even without saying. Though it is had to say things would be different because the tools wouldn't change. In all honesty I think it might be worse because no information was available; countries would lock down and be fearful of each other. I would imagine more people would be sick and probably dying without reason. Then there would be tons of conspiracy theories, probably riots and anarchy....maybe a war.

I don't think any island could handle resupplying ships. It is completely infrastructure as most are considered developing-world countries. Having a ton of hotels is not the same as having warehouses of food and supplies. Such as most of the hotels feature predominately local cuisine; I cannot see them having enough cows to cover CK filet night on a quantum-class ship, let alone the 8+ ships they would probably see every day. Just think about how their docks look in comparison to Port Canaveral, Galveston, or Miami. 

19 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Side question...if the press didn't report it and the government didn't impose measures, how many of us would think there is a pandemic?

Anyone who lives/works in a city. Anyone who has family/friends who work in healthcare or is in law enforcement.  I happen to know a bunch of people personally who got it. Everyone around me knows people who got it/died from it. All through April and May there were stories of people losing family members from it...but I acknowledge it's different than someone who doesn't live close to a city.

@Ampurp85 I wasn't saying such a thing would be without investment and serious development. There are three high volume broadline food distributors on New Providence existing today including a large Sysco house with room for expansion. There is also good size container port on the island that is not far from the cruise port. The beginning of the infrastructure is there. Downtown Nassau would need significant terminal development along with a way to get semis on the docks. Something like this could help a country like that move away from third world country status while giving the middle finger to the CDC, which is my interest as well. One can dream.

image.png.e5ba42ed89137dcb6e5167ba9d489a45.png

@DunkelBierJay I guess maybe I was just thinking why would a developing country invest like that when most of it is ...how do I say this nicely...all shacks??

The tourist area in New Providence is nice but where the rest of the community is....its bad living. Like most of the places we visit; that tourist money is barely keeping them afloat. It is not just the docks but airports, hotels, restaurants, and travel. Lets just say 5 ships a day at over 4,000 pax each, plus the land base passengers; their airports would collapse. Then you have to remember that the beauty of most of these islands is the natural ecosystem, which would be crushed under the burden. Also keep in mind that the CDC and/or an affiliate directive might still have jurisdiction. RCCI may be sailing in China soon because A)they have far fewer cases and better testing/protocols and B) the ports all check out/allow visitors. But also the market is there, how many people would fly to the Bahamas to sail? I personally think it would be a lot less than you imagined; just look at Puerto Rico, the share is actually quite small possibly due to the high airfare.

5 hours ago, ellcee said:

Anyone who lives/works in a city. Anyone who has family/friends who work in healthcare or is in law enforcement.  I happen to know a bunch of people personally who got it. Everyone around me knows people who got it/died from it. All through April and May there were stories of people losing family members from it...but I acknowledge it's different than someone who doesn't live close to a city.

I live in Dallas, work in healthcare, many of our hospitals almost went under siting empty for 2 months

3 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I live in Dallas, work in healthcare, many of our hospitals almost went under siting empty for 2 months

I'm thinking public private partnership (mostly private with public cooperation) by the industries that would benefit. There is already a signatificant amount being set aside for downtown development by the port.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/global-ports-holding-to-transform-nassau-cruise-port

https://www.cruisehive.com/more-renderings-of-the-future-nassau-cruise-port/30999

I haven't seen any articles showing that the plan has dried up, but who knows right now.