CLIA Agrees to Cancel Sailings through 9/15 for all partners?

Read it here as well (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/19/cruise-lines-voluntarily-suspend-all-trips-out-of-us-ports-until-sept-15-trade-group-says.html).

The goal just keeps on moving...My family is on the 9/25/2020 Enchantment of the Seas sailing out of Galveston, TX.  We would be the second cruise after this new start date.  I don't know how much I want to be a test subject.  I think the rules for being on the ship will determine things for my family.

Thanks for sharing the article!

CLIA Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruise Operations from U.S. Ports

WASHINGTON, DC (19 June 2020)Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) issued the following statement today to announce that the association’s ocean-going cruise line members will voluntarily extend the suspension of cruise operations from U.S. ports until 15 September 2020.

"Due to the ongoing situation within the U.S. related to COVID-19, CLIA member cruise lines have decided to voluntarily extend the period of suspended passenger operations. The current No Sail Order issued by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will expire on 24 July, and although we had hoped that cruise activity could resume as soon as possible after that date, it is increasingly clear that more time will be needed to resolve barriers to resumption in the United States.

"Although we are confident that future cruises will be healthy and safe, and will fully reflect the latest protective measures, we also feel that it is appropriate to err on the side of caution to help ensure the best interests of our passengers and crewmembers. We have therefore decided to further extend our suspension of operations from U.S. ports until 15 September. The additional time will also allow us to consult with the CDC on measures that will be appropriate for the eventual resumption of cruise operations.

"This voluntary suspension applies to all CLIA members to which the No Sail Order applied (vessels with capacity to carry 250 persons or more). CLIA member cruise lines will continually evaluate the evolving situation and make a determination as to whether a further extension is necessary."

In 2018, the cruise industry supported over 421,000 jobs in the United States, with every 30 cruisers from U.S. ports supporting one American job. Each day of the suspension of cruise operations in the U.S. results in a total loss of approximately $110 million in economic activity and up to 800 American jobs. For more information about the economic impact of the cruise industry in the United States, including the top ten states benefitting from cruise activity, please visit: CLIA 2018 Economic Analysis.

40 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

The goal just keeps on moving...My family is on the 9/25/2020 Enchantment of the Seas sailing out of Galveston, TX.  We would be the second cruise after this new start date.  I don't know how much I want to be a test subject. 

September 20th, 2020 -- not boarding, not 5 days later, if they don't just cancel until October.

30 minutes ago, Cmaccullen said:

At this point, I am not sure cruising will ever happen again. We have a cruise September 19 and I don't think it will happen. I just wish they would go ahead and cancel so I can get my money back.

Since I'm looking at a different category, I might wait for cancellation and take the cash or shift, I'll let my agent guide me here a bit. 

28 minutes ago, TheJones said:

Hoping to lift & shift our Sept cruise now.  This is just getting so frustrating!!!

Yep. Just sent the ramblings in my head to agent... She probably thinks I'm drunk ?? 

RCCL hasn’t cancelled all of their Aug/Sept cruises (yet)... only a select few.  More information to come next week.  Either they are making progress with the CDC or this is Chinese water torture. I’ve lost track of what has been cancelled to date so I may be mistaken and they are just holding off their announcement until next week.

4 hours ago, Loops said:

RCCL hasn’t cancelled all of their Aug/Sept cruises (yet)... only a select few.  More information to come next week.  Either they are making progress with the CDC or this is Chinese water torture. I’ve lost track of what has been cancelled to date so I may be mistaken and they are just holding off their announcement until next week.

True, but they have removed all cruises with sail dates through 9/15/20 from the calendar and you cannot book them right now. I'm thinking it's inevitable.

As an example, only Adventure (9/19/20) and Oasis (9/20/20 & 9/27/20) are still available to book out of Cape Liberty as of this moment.

image.thumb.png.a40a7b9d9d49484918fb4ae52e05f1db.png

image.thumb.png.af0a95cb2a98af6d46e530f30a738a3a.png

Same with Miami... 9/18/20 sailing on Navigator is the first available cruise that you can still book out of Miami... probably the same across the fleet (at least U.S. ports)...

image.thumb.png.97fd8ee8165a07ccf63ba8e9f22ee14d.png

image.thumb.png.e69098f592decf5201e9c7bbaf6729a4.png

20 hours ago, JB1082 said:

Why do the cruise lines "report" to the CDC? What jurisdiction does CDC have over Cruise Lines (sorry if dumb question)

The CDC runs the Vessel Sanitation Program which falls under the Public Health Service Act. They inspect and keep track of health issues similar to the way the Health Department does with restaurants on land. You can see health scores and inspection reports for ships that operate in the US on the CDC's website. 

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionSearch.aspx

Screenshot_20200620-111217_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, bytheslice said:

Exactly. I want to know why these irrelevant bureaucrats are not being pressure by higher ups so that we can cruise again. Certainly if oversight authority like inspector generals and federal attorneys are easily dismissed, so can these irrelevant bureaucrats! 

Because there is no benefit to be gained by anyone higher up to apply pressure. 

I still don't understand why the cruise lines can't sail out of non USA ports. I'm sure there are some logistical issues with departing a Caribbean port, but it would get them sailing again. If they don't dock in the USA then what can the  CDC Say or do about it? 

32 minutes ago, steverk said:

I still don't understand why the cruise lines can't sail out of non USA ports. I'm sure there are some logistical issues with departing a Caribbean port, but it would get them sailing again. If they don't dock in the USA then what can the  CDC Say or do about it? 

Name a Caribbean island with the infrastructure to embark a cruise ship. 

8 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I don't begin to know what infrastructure is required,  but if Puerto Rico can, then there must be others. (Yes, I do know that Puerto Rico is in the USA and doesn't count) 

36 minutes ago, steverk said:

What country currently wants an influx of Americans visiting them. 

49 minutes ago, steverk said:

I don't begin to know what infrastructure is required,  but if Puerto Rico can, then there must be others. (Yes, I do know that Puerto Rico is in the USA and doesn't count) 

You need an airport that can handle a couple hundred thousand extra people a few times a week 

Hotel capacity 

Terminal to handle all the passengers, luggage, food and beverage 

Distribution for food and beverage. 

The list goes on and on. 

2 minutes ago, Deb826 said:

So my TA just told me that she just got off the phone with RCCL and that it has not been decided yet if they're canceling my cruise or not.  We're on the Symphony on 8/22.  What gives!??

My guess is that the Royal CS reps will not know (or can't confirm) for sure until Royal makes their official announcement (tomorrow I believe) either way in response to the CLIA announcement. 

I know, the waiting stinks! Everything is pointing toward further cancellations, but it's not official until it's official... is that a Yogism?

4 minutes ago, Deb826 said:

Okay, nevermind!  It's definitely cancelled, she just confirmed it - it's the refund package that has not yet been issued on our cruise.  They're supposed to have that in the next couple of days.

Sorry!!!

Wow! I'm surprised they are communicating this before the official announcement.

Nothing surprises me these days! One less thing for you to have to worry about! ?

16 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I know that TUI, Meinschiff and Costa have Caribbean itineraries in Caribbean islands that do not originate in a US port, and I do not know if the European style of cruising applies in which a passenger can embark from any port of call. If anyone knows the answer to that, I would love to know.

I also wondered about Nassau and all the development money that is proposed for the port area there and whether consideration for re-directing is is just a nutty idea or would gain traction if the US squanders its position as the home of cruising. No other country comes close in terms of itineraries sailed from the three large east coast ports. At some point, something has to break on this, and good news has to prevail.

Side question...if the press didn't report it and the government didn't impose measures, how many of us would think there is a pandemic?

10 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I also wondered about Nassau and all the development money that is proposed for the port area there and whether consideration for re-directing is is just a nutty idea or would gain traction if the US squanders its position as the home of cruising. No other country comes close in terms of itineraries sailed from the three large east coast ports. At some point, something has to break on this, and good news has to prevail.

think of all the added cost of transportation for food and beverages when having to load them on a ship to deliver to Nassau to resupply these cruise ships.  This is one of the mail reasons these ship from multiple companies home port out of the USA, fantastic transportation infastructure and resupply logistics at cheap costs.

2 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

think of all the added cost of transportation for food and beverages when having to load them on a ship to deliver to Nassau to resupply these cruise ships.  This is one of the mail reasons these ship from multiple companies home port out of the USA, fantastic transportation infastructure and resupply logistics at cheap costs.

With all of the hotels on New Providence Island, there has to be high volume food and supply distributorships there that could expand their operations. I don't know about airport infrastructure, and I certainly get that it would be a heavy lift. For those of us who fly to FL anyway, I don't see it as an obstacle, personally.  If there is a market for it, the CDC could be avoided entirely.