Carnival selling ships....

34 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Cruise Radio (Doug Parker) / Richard Simms  is reporting that Carnival is selling 6 of its older ships, earlier than planned. Wonder if this will be a common theme? Older RC ships? 

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-sells-six-cruise-ships-more-to-come/

This I have predicted for RCCL. Sell older ships, raise some cash rather via selling vs increasing LOCs. Given the current uncertainties, I would rather they do this. 

Can you imagine trying to sell a cruise ship right now ?  LOL  Talk about selling in an off market !!!  It's probably more about getting out from under insurance, crew and operating costs than actually bringing in any cash.  I noticed that in the Carnival article they mentioned "scrapping" which is harsh, but probably a reality.

31 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I noticed that in the Carnival article they mentioned "scrapping" which is harsh, but probably a reality.

That caught my eye too. I suppose it's like donating that rust bucket car. It's gone the next day and you have a little tax write off. Here they might get some quick cash for the scrap metal and it's off their expenses list.

Hey, if I had the cash I'd buy a used cruise ship... anyone want to go halvsies? LOL

I have had thoughts about Royal having an art liquidation auction before they tow the Oasis class ships to some foreign soiled scrapyard. And the prices received being far, far less than what we have been told the art installations onboard are worth.

I think Super Mario could pick up that million dollar spinning head on Harmony for just a thousand or two.

In my opinion, the Fantasy Class and Spirit Class need to be retired.  Carnival could actually benefit from this situation.  There's about 14 or 15 ships that need to go. 

For many people who take their first cruise the thought process is to try a cheap 3 or 4 night cruise to see if they like cruising.  Next thing you know they are on a Carnival Elation cruise to the Bahamas and have a negative experience never to come back to cruising again.  

There will be lots of ship builders looking for jobs.  It will be the best time in a long time, possibly ever, to build new ships in 12 or 18 months from a cost of building view.

Carnival could really be rewarded for dragging their feet into the bigger, better, newer arms race of ship building that has occurred over the last 20 years.