Analyst says CDC treatment of cruise lines is unjust

Hmmm, based not just on this articles but all the ones since posted....anybody else wonder if the CDC is going off of public opinion? Overwhelmingly the opinions are negative.

When you read the comments on planes, theme parks, and hotels the opinions are positive...despite a negative article. The fact that NCL said they have submitted actual protocols but were denied speaks volumes.

Good article....I would say based on the way things are going right now...quite possible 2020 is done for everyone.....with each piece of news that comes out and each delay, I have less confidence that even if Odyssey was ready in time for Nov, that I would be able to cruise anyways...

16 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Hmmm, based not just on this articles but all the ones since posted....anybody else wonder if the CDC is going off of public opinion? Overwhelmingly the opinions are negative.

When you read the comments on planes, theme parks, and hotels the opinions are positive...despite a negative article. The fact that NCL said they have submitted actual protocols but were denied speaks volumes.

I think you are on to something that public opinion is driving a lot of this.  I think it is unfair.  Hopefully, they can start bending some ears with all of the lobbyists these big cruises companies have....at least let themselves be heard and come up with concrete plans with dialogue back and forth....This is just a real mess for everyone!

@jaredhamburg I definitely think it is unfair but I would start to question the lawfulness of the restrictions.....if they extend it. It may be tied into the international travel bans. Or...just maybe they don't want to tack on a mandatory quarantine after going on a cruise and this has the CDCs panties in a bunch. The CDC probably wants a bunch of liability to lie on the cruise lines. When that same liability doesn't fall on churches, restaurants, theme parks, hotels, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@jaredhamburg I definitely think it is unfair but I would start to question the lawfulness of the restrictions.....if they extend it. It may be tied into the international travel bans. Or...just maybe they don't want to tack on a mandatory quarantine after going on a cruise and this has the CDCs panties in a bunch. The CDC probably wants a bunch of liability to lie on the cruise lines. When that same liability doesn't fall on churches, restaurants, theme parks, hotels, etc. 

I agree 110% with that last sentence especially!

The CDC seems to be a real problem. European cruises might be coming back earlier than cruises from the US. European river cruises have already resumed, Hurtigruten plans to resume the postal ship cruises mid-June. TUI Cruises hopes to resume at least part of their cruises in August.

6 hours ago, JB1082 said:

This might be a dumb question - why do the cruise lines answer to the CDC?

I tried to trace it back to how it became that the CDC is even able to declare a no sail order but couldn't really dig anything up directly.  All the government agencies tie into each other.  The CDC is responsible for the health, sanitation, and environmental inspections that are required to operate, but I got lost trying to find out what would actually happen if a cruise line decided to operate under the no sail order.  I'm guessing they couldn't port anywhere in the US since Department of Homeland Security would see to that.

My guess as to why cruise lines report to the CDC beside the fact that they govern anything related to the health, sanitation and environmental aspects of the US, would because the VSP reports to them. People are often surprised at what CDC controls. Any place that deals with people and food have to report to the CDC. Even the firm I work at, which doesn't sell food and has only 20 employees. When my brother caught salmonella a few years ago he had to report to the CDC, he still has to. People who don't comply with the CDC face jail time, so I would imagine a company might face fines and/or lose their license. I think my speculation that the CDC wants a lot of liability to fall on the cruise lines might have some truth to it. Look at what was require to get the crew home.