The Inevitable Cancellations -- NCL

Well, that's not good! I've had been feeling super confident that we will sail for my November 2020 cruise. Now, with the whole CDC thing and now NCL cancelling Oct cruises, I could actually see no sailings for 2020. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but I gotta admit, each day that passes, I am less confident. I guess the real test will be if Carnival does indeed sail first.

Not sure how any of these lines will survive if we go 10 months without sailing. I know they have loans and what not but they have got to be scared. I heard books for 2021 are up past their normal numbers but still can't help but think some major things may happen for them to survive.

Wonder whatever happened to politicians supporting the cruiseliners...now would be a good time for someone to start telling the CDC to back off

Cant believe I can book a Disney trip eat outside go to a movie theater get my hair done and fly on a plane but cruising is still the end all be all enemy.

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

I am growing less and less confident that our Dec sailing is going to happen.  I am really hoping to end this crap show of a year on a high note.

Yup. My family is supposed to be on Anthem over NYE. We’re not going to cancel until Royal forces our hand, but I’m not too optimistic. 

The funny thing is I am quite optimistic about Nov and Dec sailings. I always believed anything under six months would not be feasible. We have cruised in the muck of flu season, ships didn't shut down. Even with a second wave as long as protocols are followed ships should be fine. I think, given the current attitude, by Aug the CDC will no longer be able to keep the ships away, nor will most ports. Filming and sports are coming in July, the CDC won't/shouldn't be able to legally extend such a ban without just cause. You cannot complain about the economy, nor can you praise it......unless all forms of entertainment, travel, and businesses are afforded the same opportunities.

44 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The funny thing is I am quite optimistic about Nov and Dec sailings. I always believed anything under six months would not be feasible. We have cruised in the muck of flu season, ships didn't shut down. Even with a second wave as long as protocols are followed ships should be fine. I think, given the current attitude, by Aug the CDC will no longer be able to keep the ships away, nor will most ports. Filming and sports are coming in July, the CDC won't/shouldn't be able to legally extend such a ban without just cause. You cannot complain about the economy, nor can you praise it......unless all forms of entertainment, travel, and businesses are afforded the same opportunities.

I agree. I never imagined cruises being suspended through September, but here we are, one big player already did. However, I suspect that will be the end of it. I am not saying October 1st all cruises are sailing and at full capacity, but I can see things starting to phase in, like the various states are phasing re-opening. Luckily, cruise lines are stock piling cash, hopefully it's enough. They cannot cripple one hospitality industry while allowing people to enjoy rides at Disney.

8 minutes ago, Leann said:

I sure hope Royal Caribbean doesn’t follow suit with NCL. It would be nice if RC would take the reins and be the first to cruise again. I took my May 17th cruise and moved it to August! I REALLY want to go!!

I'm with you wish they wait till end of July and see what the CDC says and what the world looks like then. I know Florida seems to jsut be peaking now so I wouldn't be shocked if fall cruising is the start. My cruise is October 26 and I just pray it will happen

28 minutes ago, Kcusack89 said:

I'm with you wish they wait till end of July and see what the CDC says and what the world looks like then. I know Florida seems to jsut be peaking now so I wouldn't be shocked if fall cruising is the start. My cruise is October 26 and I just pray it will happen

They need to cancel August before July though. That way people can get their FCC and refunds in time to rebook. I plan on rebooking in October if my August cruise is cancelled, which now looks like is very possible. If October is cancelled then I will have to see about next year. My kids are looking forward to a week's vacation, though they don't know what we are supposed to be doing. If they cancel our vacation, I may just send a picture of my children crying to the CDC with a note at how they are destroying the ability of kids to have any fun or family time right now. They have chosen to be a bully to this industry and are ruining people's lives in the process, and I'm talking about owners, employees, etc.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

They need to cancel August before July though. That way people can get their FCC and refunds in time to rebook. I plan on rebooking in October if my August cruise is cancelled, which now looks like is very possible. If October is cancelled then I will have to see about next year. My kids are looking forward to a week's vacation, though they don't know what we are supposed to be doing. If they cancel our vacation, I may just send a picture of my children crying to the CDC with a note at how they are destroying the ability of kids to have any fun or family time right now. They have chosen to be a bully to this industry and are ruining people's lives in the process, and I'm talking about owners, employees, etc.

I'm 50/50 with October happening just got an email today saying I'll have to quarantine for 14 days after international travel so now looks like I'll be taking 3 weeks of vaca off at one time

its so frustrating to say the least summer is here and still no cruising at all.  even with what we all have booked its so annoying because there are so many variables to have to deal with the trip being planned from hotels, airfare, requesting time off work and everything else.  this bit waiting til last moment to cancel and leave us all hanging is just ridiculous at this point.

then our next obstacle is to chase after Royal for refunds and FCC that are taking an unacceptable timeframe from a business standpoint.  plus deal with cancellations of hotels and airfare then go to boss and say oh forget about that week i needed off because cruise is cancelled again.

of course once FCC or refund is issued checking to making sure dollar amount is correct..................

reality is i am sure Royal knows whether they are sailing Europe in 2020 or not by this time.  just by discussion Fain has stated over and over, we are planning on starting out with short sailings with fewer ships sailing at full capacity.  so why does Royal continue to leave its loyal customers hanging wondering are we or are we not sailing............?????  its a question everyone is puzzled over and leaves a bad vibe among many of us over the entire situation.

for me i am grateful among grateful to have a travel agent who can do majority of the chasing and going to battle but dealing with my boss every time i need to tell him NO vacation needed that week afterall so put me back on once schedule is posted that part is all left up to me to handle.............maybe telling boss once but after numerous times to redo schedule he isnt happy at all.  guess i am glad didnt have to take vacation anyway housebound but dont want to jinx it because next scheduled cruise is Aug.

guess we all will just have to wait and see what happens next if we are or arent sailing in August.  when is everyones next cruise?

think we all have dry dock syndrome blues.......

where did you get email on quarantine 14 days for international travel?

@SMOKEY0202 it depends on a bunch of factors but mostly employment. Even though we are working from home at my job, we had to sign a waiver of no non-essential travel. Found out that 17 out of 20 employees had COVID. Since it such a small company boss doesn't want to risk it and asked collectively if we would forgo flights and vacation time.

Another thing to consider is that RCCI actually may just as much be in the dark as we are. Imagine just like how much people hoped to be sailing Aug 1st, a few days after the CDC ban would be lifted, countries could be thinking the same. Spain could be thinking Aug, Sept, etc is long enough away that things could change, therefor they can still keep RCCI and other cruise lines on the hook. Also from a business standpoint, RCCI doesn't want to cancel cruises...what if things change??While I honestly believe all of Aug and at least half of Sept is a wash, anything could happen. I also believe that NCL cancelled the sailings they did because the demand really wasn't there. The deals they were offering were unreal, especially for them.

23 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

Yup. My family is supposed to be on Anthem over NYE. We’re not going to cancel until Royal forces our hand, but I’m not too optimistic. 

We are going to hold out as long as possible too.   Hopefully some good news will come soon.

1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

We did a cruise at end of February and had no vacation plans until this Fall.   Our next cruise is end of October on Anthem out of Bayonne.   Not super confident it's going to happen but haven't cancelled yet.   

NYC is looking great compared to Florida right now...oh how the tables have turned

6 hours ago, Va4fam said:

We did a cruise at end of February and had no vacation plans until this Fall.   Our next cruise is end of October on Anthem out of Bayonne.   Not super confident it's going to happen but haven't cancelled yet.   

Do you mean Adventure... unless RCCL has yet to tell me about a schedule change, Anthem is still due to sail out of Southampton until the end of October, then transatlantic to Bayonne on 1st November? ?

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

@IanT.......my mistake.   Our cruise is on Oasis in October.    I have Anthem on the brain because we sailed her last December from Bayonne, and hopefully January 2021 from Bayonne.  

Phew! I was worried for a moment that my October sailing out of Southampton was already another casualty of this pesky virus! ? I can continue to live in hope for the time being...