Settle a debate.... WOW bands post covid

We have a spring break 2021 cruise booked. Working under the assumption that we get to go, I am debating with the wife about wow bands for the family. I said we should get them just as slight extra level of safety. She says waste of money.  Now, if royal started including them to reduce contact that's another story. What are your thoughts?

Sailed in the Grand Suite on Anthem 3 times and received WOW bands as part of the perk. From this point forward, perk or not, I'll always *pay for a WOW band. The biggest pro is the pool, no need to worry about your card. You have your drink package & door key right on your wrist. 

*some ships will allow you to use your wrist band from a previous cruise, I've never had a chance to do it because A) got them as a perk and B) just learned recently. It's hit or miss but if they didn't allow me to re-use, I'd gladly pay the fee per band.

1 hour ago, AndrewPunch said:

We have a spring break 2021 cruise booked. Working under the assumption that we get to go, I am debating with the wife about wow bands for the family. I said we should get them just as slight extra level of safety. She says waste of money.  Now, if royal started including them to reduce contact that's another story. What are your thoughts?

They are only $5 so the cost isn't a big thing to me, but you mention "extra level of safety", and i can't see the point.  I have had WOW bands one time and really found them more of a hinderance than a help, every time i wanted to use it where i thought it would be a benefit (drinks poolside or in a theater) I would have to take the band off, give it to the waiter and wait for them to return; in this respect it is no different than the sea pass card, and I do not fool with them any longer.

I primarily use Wow bands to unlock the cabin door.  I often have a drink or two in my hands so using my wrist is much easier than putting the drinks on the carpet in the hall and reaching inside my pocket for my seapass card.  I still have to move the door handle so contact isn't eliminated entirely.

They could place the card readers at their point of sale machines at bars more convenient but that would benefit seapass cards and wow bands equally.  

Consequently I'm not sure I see Wow bands as a significant step above a seapass card.  If it contacts the card reader at the door to the diamond lounge or at a bar that is no different than my seapass card touching the card reader.  Both have to be handed to a wandering server so maybe the answer is to give servers a wireless card reader that guests can use while holding onto their Wow/Seapass so you never have to hand either one over to the server.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Both have to be handed to a wandering server so maybe the answer is to give servers a wireless card reader that guests can use while holding onto their Wow/Seapass so you never have to hand either one over to the server.

That's not a bad idea and a direction they should be taking anyway, with or without COVID-19.

28 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

They are only $5 so the cost isn't a big thing to me, but you mention "extra level of safety", and i can't see the point.  I have had WOW bands one time and really found them more of a hinderance than a help, every time i wanted to use it where i thought it would be a benefit (drinks poolside or in a theater) I would have to take the band off, give it to the waiter and wait for them to return; in this respect it is no different than the sea pass card, and I do not fool with them any longer.

This is where I'd hand the waiter my card, if easily available, but mainly because they are handing a bunch at once and need to keep track of them all, lessen the confusion; I have to wait regardless. Last cruise I did pen my initials on the back to make it easier to confirm.

That's actually true - I in no way think they are an 'extra level of safety' and should have mentioned that. I just find it convenient to not have to carry my seapass card while at the pool, worrying about putting it away safely and all that. Jump out of hot tub, grab drink at bar, jump back into hot tub. :)  

I agree with @twangster.  In this day and age of contactless payment, I would love to see them implement something where you just touch your wow band or seapass card to a reader.  I know Royal isn't Disney, but as former Disney passholders, being able to just use our magic bands touchless was so simple and absolutely speeded up the process.  I get there's the whole adding a tip thing but there are ways to do it.  

Now, while I'm sure they're looking into all this right now, a timeline for implementation of something like this fleetwide who knows?!?

That's about the only area where Royal could learn from Princess. When we were on Caribbean Princess in 2018 the Medallion opened your cabin door when you were  near it - no need to get it out of your pocket. Back then I liked it because you had no hassle with the drinks, now it could be an asset regarding COVID-19. Ordering drinks online and getting them delivered anywhere on the pool deck was also a nice feature, but if I remember correctly you still had to hand the Medallion over to scan it. Sadly, I think Royal might currently lack the funds to implement something like this.

First time using WOW bands on Anthem required taking off to scan for drinks.  Last Oct on Anthem, they would move the scanning device to you most of the time. 

I do love that it unlocks the cabin door, that alone is worth the $4.99

Hopefully the improvements continue.

I got to use the WOW bands on anthem last year, they were included in our Jr. Suite (along with another couple's but that's another story ?) and I thought they were cool but I only used in in two ways, 1) when I had my hands full (usually with drinks at @twangster says 2) my wife is not an early riser so I would take her seapass card when I went to the gym in the morning (knowing she had her band) so that I could grab us both a coffee on the way back to our cabin.  I probably would have used it more if I didn't have to take it off to pay, but I felt bad because it would be wet from the pool or something like that.   I could see a near future where all wait staff have mobile readers so you could use without taking it off to help with reducing contact.

Also aren't you able to take a band from a previous cruise down to guest services and have it re-programmed for your new cruise?  I thought I heard Matt mention something like that on one of the podcasts.

5 minutes ago, Drewww said:

Also aren't you able to take a band from a previous cruise down to guest services and have it re-programmed for your new cruise?  I thought I heard Matt mention something like that on one of the podcasts.

Yes but I believe no two ships are the same with this 'policy' it's either allowed and some don't know or not allowed and some don't know LOL. I learned this AFTER two suites leaving bands in the stateroom. Last September I remembered and brought them home.

26 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Yes but I believe no two ships are the same with this 'policy' it's either allowed and some don't know or not allowed and some don't know LOL. I learned this AFTER two suites leaving bands in the stateroom. Last September I remembered and brought them home.

Seems to be one of those inconsistent polices that RCCL is famous for. 

37 minutes ago, spursfreak21 said:

What ships offer wow bands and how can you order one?

They are currently available on Anthem, Quantum, Ovation, Oasis, Harmony, and Symphony.  If you are sailing in a suite, each passenger in the cabin will get one for free.  If you would like to purchase them, they will be available onboard for $4.99.

14 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

While I loved using my WOW band on Symphony last Fall, I was still signing all those 10" long thermal receipts every time I got a drink. Anything that gets us past this would be welcome.

Do you have the Deluxe drink package? If so I just walk away from those receipts, no need to sign them. 

5 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

While I loved using my WOW band on Symphony last Fall, I was still signing all those 10" long thermal receipts every time I got a drink. Anything that gets us past this would be welcome.

I was on Symphony in Feb of this year and used my Wow band (and occasionally my Sea Pass card) and never once was given a receipt to sign.  Actually, I didn't on Symphony, Navigator (Dec '19) or Ovation (June '19).

29 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I was on Symphony in Feb of this year and used my Wow band (and occasionally my Sea Pass card) and never once was given a receipt to sign.  Actually, I didn't on Symphony, Navigator (Dec '19) or Ovation (June '19).

Did you have the drink package? I didn't, and I wonder what the process would have been if I did.

6 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Do you have the Deluxe drink package? If so I just walk away from those receipts, no need to sign them. 

No, I was a la carte...it was the President's cruise, and I remember being horrified at the cost...I can't remember exactly, but it was something like $74.99 per person per day.

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2022 at 11:46 AM, Jose Bermudez said:

Deberían usar la banda es una forma segura y protege la tripulación ya q no entra en contacto directo con los huéspedes a parte las bandas se ven hermosas y identifica los huéspedes junto a su información de pasajero ojalá la volvamos a usar a bordo 

Tómenlo en cuenta por favor 

Welcome to the forums, @Jose Bermudez!

If you are able to translate to English in the future, it would be appreciated.  I think I have a rough translation here, though - hopefully it is reasonably accurate:

"

They should use the band, it is a safe way and protects the crew since it
does not come into direct contact with the guests, apart from the bands 
they look beautiful and identify the guests along with their passenger 
information, hopefully we will use it again on board

take it into account please"

On 6/17/2020 at 8:53 AM, Drewww said:

I got to use the WOW bands on anthem last year, they were included in our Jr. Suite (along with another couple's but that's another story ?) and I thought they were cool but I only used in in two ways, 1) when I had my hands full (usually with drinks at @twangster says 2) my wife is not an early riser so I would take her seapass card when I went to the gym in the morning (knowing she had her band) so that I could grab us both a coffee on the way back to our cabin.  I probably would have used it more if I didn't have to take it off to pay, but I felt bad because it would be wet from the pool or something like that.   I could see a near future where all wait staff have mobile readers so you could use without taking it off to help with reducing contact.

Yes, if you have a band, you can take them down to GS and they will reprogram them for you. BUT....they no longer sell them at GS anymore. Not sure if this is a covid thing, or if they are finding out that because you have to remove them to order a drink at the pool that they are more trouble then it is worth.