Buffet Dining going forward?

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-buffets-on-post-coronavirus-cruises.html

Having gone several months now without a cruise, we are seriously considering dipping our toes back into the water (no pun intended) once RCCL resumes sailing this Summer.  Does anyone have any insight into Windjammer dining going forward?  Or maybe a definitive source I can read?

4 hours ago, CNA Jacksonville said:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/royal-caribbean-to-eliminate-buffets-on-post-coronavirus-cruises.html

Having gone several months now without a cruise, we are seriously considering dipping our toes back into the water (no pun intended) once RCCL resumes sailing this Summer.  Does anyone have any insight into Windjammer dining going forward?  Or maybe a definitive source I can read?

This is an old article from the beginning of May. They backed off the "there wont be a buffet" stance, but I don't believe there has been anything definitive announced yet. I think the buffet will be as it is now when there is an outbreak of noro - they will have staff in place to serve guests.

10 hours ago, codyh21 said:

Pretty sure there hasn't been a definitive plan announced yet.  However, if I were a betting man, I don't believe we'll be serving ourselves anytime soon.  What that will look like or form the WJ will take is anyone's guess.  I've heard suggestions of a modified food court style eatery which I'd be interested in.  

You mean we finally get to eat food that hasn't been touched and put back by kids and some disgusting adults?  The amount of things you can observe in just a minute or two in the buffet line (anywhere not just a cruise) is absolutely disgusting.

52 minutes ago, marti314 said:

You mean we finally get to eat food that hasn't been touched and put back by kids and some disgusting adults?  The amount of things you can observe in just a minute or two in the buffet line (anywhere not just a cruise) is absolutely disgusting.

Can't agree with this any more if I tried.  Pandemic or no, bring on the manned buffet stations.  I'll gladly deal with the potential of slightly slower lines as a trade off for people with questionable hygienic practices not pawing up my food and/or befouling the serving utensils.

29 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Im guessing the amount of money they save on normal helpings/servings vs some people throwing away 80% of every plate they take will be considerable.

Not to mention the efficiency,  I can't count on both and hands and feet how many times i got stuck behind someone because they were trying to pick around and grab all the meat/shellfish out of a certain dish.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:20 AM, marti314 said:

I'll never forget the day of embarkation, at the windjammer, this older person reaching right into the chips for nachos with his hands!  I politely reminded him that the tongs were for getting food from buffet.  This other middle age man (not sure if related) to told me to mind my own business and I had told him politely that we all need to be food safe as this was not his home dinner table.  He was pissed off!  To Bad!  

On 6/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, CruisinForABruisin said:

Not to mention the efficiency,  I can't count on both and hands and feet how many times i got stuck behind someone because they were trying to pick around and grab all the meat/shellfish out of a certain dish.

... and while you're stuck, someone rudely steps in the middle of the line because they "just want that one thing" that you also are patiently waiting for! 

This is pretty much how I am while collecting from the various stations when it comes to observing my fellow passengers

tenor.gif

Absolutely disgusting is right! I would welcome the total elimination of the Windjamner and replace it with something more sanitary. There’s nothing more gross then watching people grab food with bare hands and then deciding they no longer want it and put it back for some poor unfortunate soul to eat. Pre or Post COVID19 still not a fan. 

Well I think I top that....

On Mariner,  heading to Jamie's for lunch, I was waiting on my mother, who gets lost all the time, and people watching. I was standing by the entrance to Jamie's so only a salad and fruit area was available in the Windjammer. I saw a man do "washy, washy" then scratch his butt for a whole minute after. He then grab a plate under another plate, because the first was apparently not clean enough. Adjusted his shorts and starting making a plate of salad. We only ate at the Windjammer twice, both times they were literally just opening up. So I am all about them serving people.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, marti314 said:

Im guessing the amount of money they save on normal helpings/servings vs some people throwing away 80% of every plate they take will be considerable.

They throw even unserved food if not eaten in 4 hours. They would be wasting more food this way, but it's probably a cheap price to pay for our safety in these times.

21 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Can I just say that the blog entry @Matt posted today makes me want to visit the Windjammer.

excited cat GIF

Honestly it made me a happy fat girl! LOL If Windjammer is going to be going then El Loco Fresh is too. I'm the fat girl weirdo that would cruise just for the food, as long as it's free. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 11:31 PM, CruisinForABruisin said:

Uh, they should be tossing said dish after 2 hours at most 

Yes indeed. Food sitting at temps between 40F and 140F should be tossed after 2 hours. All sorts of bad things start growing on food after this time frame.

I have just been watching a report on one of our news channels here about the buffet restaurant in one of our many tourist hotels and thought it would be interesting to share.

Guests are not allowed to serve themselves or even get particularly close to the food. The displays are roped off and only the restaurant staff are allowed inside the roped-off area. Guests tell the staff what they want and the staff serve it. All staff wear masks. All guests wear masks when moving around inside the restaurant and are only allowed to remove them when they are seated and are eating/drinking. 

Social distancing plus staff serving means lines are long and move more slowly but the restaurant manager said that people were actually very understanding and much more patient and considerate than is often the case in normal times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yup we loved it. One night, I got served THREE dinners!!  Ran out of the stuffed sole I ordered so they brought me a fried fish I only picked at (really wanted that sole).  The waiter saw I wasn’t eating so he snuck over to a company meeting & brought me a plate of their special buffet items.  In the meantime the maitre’d talked to the chef who made 2 stuffed sole filets just for me.  There I sat with all three plates in front of me with the 2 of them standing at the table to be sure I had enough to eat.  Thought I was gonna die!!!

• 2 weeks later...

and THAT is exactly why i don't do buffets in real life, let alone on a cruise...

From other articles I've seen, it looks like you will be ordering food in the WJ at a table from an app on your phone. You click on a button or take QR shots from a menu, and it will be delivered to your table. Also mentioned was limited seating capacity in the WJ to comply with social distancing requirement, as masks would have to be removed to eat. So, this is not going to be the fast grab-a-quick-bite WJ we have been used to. My guess is that they might have some display-only dishes at the entrance or something like that.

For the first cruise back after COVID, we are planning a mini-suite so that if we are not happy with the WJ or MDR seating arrangements in regards to social distancing, we can eat easily in our room. No more Ocean View or Interior cabins. At least big balcony.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, marti314 said:

I share your thought on that.   It may become a calmer environment - less body checking for the cheese cake.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 4:21 PM, MrB said:

From other articles I've seen, it looks like you will be ordering food in the WJ at a table from an app on your phone. You click on a button or take QR shots from a menu, and it will be delivered to your table. Also mentioned was limited seating capacity in the WJ to comply with social distancing requirement, as masks would have to be removed to eat. So, this is not going to be the fast grab-a-quick-bite WJ we have been used to. My guess is that they might have some display-only dishes at the entrance or something like that.

For the first cruise back after COVID, we are planning a mini-suite so that if we are not happy with the WJ or MDR seating arrangements in regards to social distancing, we can eat easily in our room. No more Ocean View or Interior cabins. At least big balcony.

Won't work - too many (mostly older)people without smartphones and those of us who choose to unplug while on vacation will also create a logjam. They would have to provide those little table-top kiosks used in some restaurants (and teach a decent portion of their clientele how to use them). Think of all the sanitizing required, too.

Won't work - too many (mostly older)people without smartphones and those of us who choose to unplug while on vacation will also create a logjam. They would have to provide those little table-top kiosks used in some restaurants (and teach a decent portion of their clientele how to use them). Think of all the sanitizing required, too.

Don't disagree, but that will be the exception that will have to be dealt with, rather than the standard. A large percentage of folks would live with the smartphone app if it meant less contact and faster service. Those that can't will have to be addressed. Yeah, the kiosks are almost a non-starter due to the issues you raised. First thing that comes to mind for exception processing is simple paper menus with checkboxes. 

RCI has been pushing people to app for a while now, and this will certainly continue to process.