Update on Seaface

Interesting to hear from Cruising With Don that Michael Bayley has announced RCCL have shelved Seaface and said that if they need to use masks they can order them.

Being a glass half full kinda guy I see this as an encouraging indication that RCCL are not looking to make face masks mandatory for guests ? 

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Due to anxiety issues, we wouldn't be able to wear them either. My son has ADHD and they would be a big issue for him as well. I just hope that we will be back cruising soon!

My son has severe ADHD, and it would be a nightmare to try to manage him with a mask...The vacation would have a lot of fun sucked right out of it.....I am glad someone else understands that "just make him/her wear a mask" can be different across the population of people....

17 minutes ago, jaredhamburg said:

My son has severe ADHD, and it would be a nightmare to try to manage him with a mask...The vacation would have a lot of fun sucked right out of it.....I am glad someone else understands that "just make him/her wear a mask" can be different across the population of people....

I'm glad that I'm not the only one as well. People who don't have kids with ADHD don't understand how challenging it is in just a normal day, let alone something like this. He has sensory issues as well which can just make things even worse. If they really want to see a parent look like a tyrant then have them make my son wear one and me trying to keep it on him or not mess with it constantly. It'll suck the fun out of more than just OUR vacation.

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one as well. People who don't have kids with ADHD don't understand how challenging it is in just a normal day, let alone something like this. He has sensory issues as well which can just make things even worse. If they really want to see a parent look like a tyrant then have them make my son wear one and me trying to keep it on him or not mess with it constantly. It'll suck the fun out of more than just OUR vacation.

Our son is five, and we are still in the stage of figuring things out.  We know he has severe ADHD, but he has been going to speech, occupation, and physical therapy due to developmental delays.  We are left trying to figure things out and treat symptoms for now; but we are very blessed that he has made progress and can now go get more therapy in our state because the COVID-19 lockdown measures have lessened.  Like you said, life is just hard.  We have four kids.  Our oldest is a type one diabetic, then we have our son, and two kids with no known issues at all.  People with a child or children with no issues usually have no idea how blessed they truly are.

1 hour ago, jaredhamburg said:

This is awesome!  Masks in heat can cause other health issues.

Thanks for sharing!

With my asthma, it doesn't even require heat to cause other issues. I am very attuned to my body and its responses to environmental stimuli as it relates to my condition. I have noticed that my body temperature begins to rise soon after starting to wear the mask even in an air conditioned office.

My employer is currently requiring temperature scans to enter the building and wearing of masks while on site. Thankfully, my role has been primarily WFH since mid-March because on the few occasions it has been necessary for me to go into the office, I have been miserable with the mask for even a short time. Yesterday was one such time I needed to go into the office briefly and I decided to perform an informal experiment. I asked the employee doing the temperature scan to write down my reading on entering the building and then to check me again as I exited. In just 20 minutes of non-exertion wearing a mask in a comfortable indoor environment, my scannable temperature rose 0.9 degrees. It takes an hour and a half mowing the lawn (self-propelled walk behind mower) in the hot sun to do the same.

Masks = bad news for me.

No way would I cruise wearing a mask.  

In No VA they just opened the hair salons, you must wear a mask.  Any woman will understand me when I say that after 3 months without a cut, color and highlight is that your appointment will be 3 hrs+.  I know this and bc I can't stand wearing the mask, I broke my appointment down to 2 sep. apptmts on different days.  1 for cut and another for color.  

If 3 hrs is too much for me, I can't fathom putting it on everytime I walked out of my balcony into public areas like the Promenade, or at a show, heck how do you sing at the piano bar in Schooners or play trivia?  Think about it...Trivia at Schooner at 3.  You walk the promenade from 2 (mask on), than go to Schooners @ 2:30-2:45 to get a good seat.  Trivia would be over at  3:30-:45.  By the time I walk out and navigate back to my room it would be 2 hrs.   No Bueno for me!

Honestly even if they told me it was just at the shows, I would not attend the shows.  I get it many people enjoy their Broadway style shows, but that really isn't why we cruise.   

8 minutes ago, teddy said:

I mean for any reason legit or not. 

I work in a supermarket.  We Are the proverbial flies on the wall.  

I run a restaurant that's remained open throughout all this, I refuse entry to anybody not wearing one, and if it's not on properly, I'm gonna let you know. I'm glad people are calling out others for not wearing it. 

4 hours ago, jaredhamburg said:

Our son is five, and we are still in the stage of figuring things out.  We know he has severe ADHD, but he has been going to speech, occupation, and physical therapy due to developmental delays.  We are left trying to figure things out and treat symptoms for now; but we are very blessed that he has made progress and can now go get more therapy in our state because the COVID-19 lockdown measures have lessened.  Like you said, life is just hard.  We have four kids.  Our oldest is a type one diabetic, then we have our son, and two kids with no known issues at all.  People with a child or children with no issues usually have no idea how blessed they truly are.

My son is 7 and we are behind with the therapies but he has been going to speech, occupational for this school year. The "school at home" stuff really made that hard on us as his therapies were then being done at home over the computer. My husband wants us to exhaust non-medication helps before looking at giving him medications. He doesn't want him to think that medicine will cure everything and that he doesn't have to try or take responsibility for his decisions in the future. In other words, outside play is our friend! :4_joy: The cruise we have planned for August will be a great week for him energy wise. It is a time that he can just be a kid not in a classroom for a little longer. I truly hope that we can all get back to cruising very soon and that our kids can start truly having fun again!

I have to imagine once they got down and started thinking about it, why would Royal want to be in the mask distribution game? 

If the mask doesn't fit right, guests are upset (no one mask style fits everyone).  If someone used a mask but still became infected, I know an ambulance chasing lawyer waiting on the sidelines.  Then there is the awkward seaface sun tan.   What of the 3,000 masks left in the cabins for the cabin attendants to deal with after the cruise or littering the gangway and sidewalks outside the terminal?  

Hard to find any upside to the idea.  

I had really bad bronchitis after my illness and I found that wearing a mask not only made it difficult to breath but gave me anxiety attacks. So for the most part I stay home. If a store requires one and I need to use the store, I suffer through. When I am outside or in my vehicle i keep my distance and don't wear one. People who police in store, restaurants, etc are not Karen's. Karen's disrespect people by coughing on them when a worker or patron ask them to follow policy.....or by not following the company's policy. I am not ready to cruise because too many Karen's exist.