No shore excursions cruise

Why doesn't Royal offer no shore excursion cruises, once on the ship, nobody on or off until you return. Maybe one stop at their private island, if they could monitor the workers there. I could care less about the islands, more concerned about good entertainment, good food, sunny days. Is this possible?

7 minutes ago, David F Pozek said:

Why doesn't Royal offer no shore excursion cruises, once on the ship, nobody on or off until you return. Maybe one stop at their private island, if they could monitor the workers there. I could care less about the islands, more concerned about good entertainment, good food, sunny days. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, I think your opinion is in the minority.  I feel the same way as you do, BTW.  The ship is the destination, for me.  But most people (I believe), do cruise as much for the ports of call as they do for the ship’s entertainment and experience.  The answer to your question is “yes”.  As long as the cruise meets the requirements of the PVSA (requirement to call on a distant foreign port), they could do it.  But most people wouldn’t want that, I don’t think.

We would be in favor of a Labadee / CocoCay only cruise.  We often skip the other ports or only get off for an hour or two (sometimes to shop or eat, if there's some local flavor we know we'll like).  Otherwise, there's so much to do on the ship that we will never get it all done on one cruise (ok, so we plan multiple cruises... and enjoy the ship when everyone else gets off).  

Cruise to no where use to be a thing in the past. However it was determined that these sailing were in violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act due to a D-1 visa holder, the crew members, never reaching foreign soil. Heading into international waters did not satisfy the requirement. Now a stop at a private island would meet the requirements.

Should have also mentioned this only applies to ships sailing from US ports. Don't know of any restrictions when it comes to other countries.

21 hours ago, mathbees said:

We would be in favor of a Labadee / CocoCay only cruise.  We often skip the other ports or only get off for an hour or two (sometimes to shop or eat, if there's some local flavor we know we'll like).  Otherwise, there's so much to do on the ship that we will never get it all done on one cruise (ok, so we plan multiple cruises... and enjoy the ship when everyone else gets off).  

Yep, with the exception of Coco Cay, the missus and I will get off the boat for a local snack and a beer (possibly buy a refrigerator magnet at a gift shop). We like to get back onboard the boat and enjoy the extra roominess at the Solarium deck, bar and restaurant. ?

Could I cruise without the option to disembark at a port? Yes, as there is plenty to do onboard.

Would I WANT to do so? Not particularly as I enjoy the variety, even if all I do is walk around the market area or do some general sightseeing (which I do more often than I take formal shore excursions).

I am not saying we would like to cruise with no stops or just Coco Cay but we would do it in a heart beat to get cruising again. We enjoy getting off the ship but we have stayed on the ship at some ports when we feel like it, agreed there are plenty of things top do or just relax in the Solarium.

I have booked a no port Cruise January 2021 from Brisbane Queensland for 3 nights on Radiance ..its called a sampler cruise and it is allowed in Australia due to the different laws of stopping at ports in this country ,we will drive interstate stopping for a few days going there and again coming back home its a nice way to vary a holiday and see the country at the same time

On 6/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, David F Pozek said:

Why doesn't Royal offer no shore excursion cruises, once on the ship, nobody on or off until you return.

It's illegal. The United States Passenger Vessel Safety Act prohibits cruises to nowhere.

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Surprised they dont update the act....especially with what's gong on in other countries..would be a good way to try and keep some control on it, while still allowing cruising to start up....

I'd be surprised if lobbyists aren't already pitching this over GrubHub-ed steaks from The Palm.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

It's illegal. The United States Passenger Vessel Safety Act prohibits cruises to nowhere.

Are you sure about that? I thought the PVSA restricted travel between two US ports, embarking passengers at one and disembarking passengers at another (i.e., a repositioning cruise). For those cruises, a foreign-flagged ship must visit a distant foreign port, most often including one of the ABC islands. (One-way travel between Puerto Rico and any other US port are also currently permitted by explicit exemption in the PVSA.)

Round-trip cruises are fine and may stop at any foreign port (note, not "distant"). Also, cruises to nowhere should be fine, but as I recall, there was some sort of taxation or immigration issue regarding the crew that caused those to go away. Also, if you're on a cruise that doesn't go to a foreign country, you would not be entitled to the $800/1600 personal allowance for duty-free purchases. (I think the default allowance is just $50 or $100.)