Sept 2020 sailings

We are booked on Explorer of the Seas sailing out of Rome at the end of September 2020. Not having decided to take the FCC, or do the L&S  .. or simply cancel now with the deposit certificate .. we are torn! I would like a consensus as to what experienced RCL cruisers think as to if they will be cancelling our cruise outright, so we don't have to go through the decision making process by our final payment date on 6/29/20. We have already made our final payment so now we are forced to make a decision. If RCL cancels we simply get a full refund.

Thoughts?

Advice anyone? My thought is that our end of September Explorer (out of Rome to Greece) will get cancelled .. and we really don't want to go with any of RCCL options not knowing what the future will bring. I'm hoping they will let us know before our 6/29 final payment date (of which we have paid in full). Do you experienced RCCL cruisers have any thoughts??

Hi @ScottinFLA1.  My husband and I were supposed to sail out of Rome on Explorer on 9/8/20.  We decided before making our final payment that we were not going (even if Royal didn't cancel), so I moved it to Rome September 2021 on Odyssey.  I did pay for our airfare back in December, so I'm waiting to see what the airline does.  If they cancel, I will take a refund.  If they don't cancel, I will take the future credit and use it for the cruise next year.

@Dawn T.

Thanks so much for the input. The flights are also part of the equation for us. Lufthansa has already cancelled all of our flights both over and back. I just hope at this point RCCL will soon announce exactly what their plans are through the end of the year and don't keep us all guessing what the heck is going on. They have a lot of our money ???

its a waiting game at this point and they definitely have alot of our money in their pocket.  if another round of cancelled cruises happens i cant even imagine wondering time frame Royal will say for this batch of FCC/refunds when they havent even got mess from back in April til now cleaned up.  i just dont see cruises in Europe happening at all this season if go back to what Mr Fain said that will start out with short sailings and limited ships sailing; however, there is final payment due dates approaching for many of us so what is one to do...........thus more money put in Royal pocket and just wait to see what happens.

13 hours ago, ScottinFLA1 said:

@Dawn T.

Thanks so much for the input. The flights are also part of the equation for us. Lufthansa has already cancelled all of our flights both over and back. I just hope at this point RCCL will soon announce exactly what their plans are through the end of the year and don't keep us all guessing what the heck is going on. They have a lot of our money ???

Our flights are Lufthansa also, but booked through United.  They don't show cancelled.   Bummer.  Maybe the cancellation is coming?  I hope so.  We booked business class, so they weren't cheap.  I would love to get a refund and not be tied to one airline choice for next year's trip.

Firstly I want to say that I am keeping everything crossed for all the folks who are on tenterhooks regarding 2020 cruises out of the US ?; however one benefit you have is that cruises in waters outside of US jurisdiction are not subject to the same CDC restrictions that appear to be the main sticking point for the US itineraries.

I am hopeful therefore that - providing of course the European countries are accepting cruise ships again by then (which I believe to be a distinct possibility given all the recent talk of an impending relaxation of borders in the region) - Europe features highly in the schedule for the expected phased return to cruising.

I am holding on to my Anthem October sailing from Southampton, although I admittedly have an additional month grace before I need to make a decision (final payment date 21st August). This said I am also mindful that she is currently in Mumbai repatriating crew, so RCCL may take the decision to send her directly back to the US when done rather than wait until November. ?