Grand Loft Suite Questions

Karl

Welcome to the boards, @Karl.  IMO, the “middle” 2 GLS on deck 8 are the best.  The are significantly larger than the “corner” GLS.  The corner ones have 3 balconies but they are small and pretty much useless to us.  The bigger aft balcony on the middle suites is much nicer. Both types are Star Class (although in our opinion, the corner ones should not be) so the amenities are the same but we were extremely disappointed in the corner GLS when we moved there from our beautiful middle room on the second half of our Anthem B2B.  If given the choice, I would choose the deck 8 middle GLS every time.  The only problem with deck 8 is that there is a lot of bleed-through noise from the shows (particularly during The Cabaret), You can hear it on deck 10, but it’s not as bad.  

On 6/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Welcome to the boards, @Karl.  IMO, the “middle” 2 GLS on deck 8 are the best.  The are significantly larger than the “corner” GLS.  The corner ones have 3 balconies but they are small and pretty much useless to us.  The bigger aft balcony on the middle suites is much nicer. Both types are Star Class (although in our opinion, the corner ones should not be) so the amenities are the same but we were extremely disappointed in the corner GLS when we moved there from our beautiful middle room on the second half of our Anthem B2B.  If given the choice, I would choose the deck 8 middle GLS every time.  The only problem with deck 8 is that there is a lot of bleed-through noise from the shows (particularly during The Cabaret), You can hear it on deck 10, but it’s not as bad.  

Thanks! Followed exactly what you recommended and booked Suite 8724!

37 minutes ago, Karl said:

Thanks! Followed exactly what you recommended and booked Suite 8724!

You will love 8724.  We were in that suite on the first half of our B2B in Feb 2019.  GREAT suite.  The only negatives were the noise (which I mentioned already) and the long walk, but you have a long walk no matter which suite you choose !  We had Yen Lee as our Genie.  I don't know if she will still be there when you sail, but she is a great Genie.

@WAAAYTOOO helped answer questions about the GLS for us not long ago.  

I can add we did Alaska last year in 10720 and were very happy.  It was our first time in a GLS so we did not have many expectations about the room going in.  We have done suites on other Cruise lines.  For out party of three the room was large enough but we do understand it is one of the smaller suites.  Since we were doing the Alaska cruise having the three balconies was really a bonus.  Being on the corner and able to walk out to the side balconies on either level, as well as the back payed off.  The rear balcony was fine but I feel that we saw more scenery and wildlife since we had the side also.  It seems that the main benefit of the corner is if you expect less time at Open sea and more direct scenery having the corner might be a relative trade-off for the space.

I’ll also add we did make the switch on our cruise next year to the middle lower room, I think 8324.  So we can share more but it is almost 10 months away.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, chaotah said:

Is it possible to fit 4 adults in a Grand Loft Suite? 

Not sure why but a grand loft suite is cheaper than a 2 br GS, and we get star class benefits. 

Yes but keep in mind that it is a loft, so you will be lacking some privacy. It has two bathrooms but two adults will have to sleep in a sofa bed on the lower level. There is also nothing to separate the two levels other than a curtain. 
If you are fine with that, Star class is amazing. 

I offer caution with the GLS.  I strongly advise against the corner suites.  Due to the geometry of the ship, you lose a lot of real estate on the corners.  The center GLS are incredible, but steer clear of the corners.   The center GLS on deck 8 are the best (biggest) ones but there is noise bleed from 270, which is directly below. So I have mixed reviews of the GLS.  It’s a long walk all the way aft.

As for sleeping arrangements, as @Lovetocruise2002mentioned, you do not get a second bedroom.  The “others” are on sleeper sofas downstairs but <especially with the center suites> space is not a problem. Plenty of that.

IMO, if you want to try Star Class, Q class is the most cost effective option.  Just be careful, as some of the options are less desirable.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:35 PM, chaotah said:

Is it possible to fit 4 adults in a Grand Loft Suite? 

We did it on Anthem.  The sofa turns into a double bed but we also had a rollaway as well.  The only caveat other than the lack of privacy already mentioned is that I don't believe the upstairs bed can be split into two beds and remains a single king bed.  

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Mitch09 said:

Does any one have a full list of what you get with star class, just want to make sure i can ask all the correct questions when on board.

That's kind of a loaded question, or one that takes a lot of keystrokes to answer.  That's a good thing because Star Class comes with a lot.  A lot more than anyone can type in one post.

I suggest starting with some user experiences such as this trip report from @Lovetocruise2002:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/10695-“i-dream-of-genie”-–-star-class-harmony-of-the-seas-–-031019-031719/&tab=comments#comment-100860

Oh... and welcome to the message boards!

On 11/22/2020 at 7:42 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I offer caution with the GLS.  I strongly advise against the corner suites.  Due to the geometry of the ship, you lose a lot of real estate on the corners.  The center GLS are incredible, but steer clear of the corners.   The center GLS on deck 8 are the best (biggest) ones but there is noise bleed from 270, which is directly below. So I have mixed reviews of the GLS.  It’s a long walk all the way aft.

As for sleeping arrangements, as @Lovetocruise2002mentioned, you do not get a second bedroom.  The “others” are on sleeper sofas downstairs but <especially with the center suites> space is not a problem. Plenty of that.

IMO, if you want to try Star Class, Q class is the most cost effective option.  Just be careful, as some of the options are less desirable.

Any preferences/recommendations when comparing GLS vs OLS on Quantum?

51 minutes ago, Mykl said:

Any preferences/recommendations when comparing GLS vs OLS on Quantum?

It comes down to personal preferences. 

The corner lofted suites on this class have a layout that involves a number of disconnected spaces.  That could work well if different couples were sharing the space and they wanted their own space to retreat to at times such as a private balcony on the side to escape to. 

Some home floor plans are open, some home floor plans not as much.  People like both for their own reasons.  

The OLS is great and very different than anything one might have experienced on most cruise ships.  It's a beautiful suite but might suffer from the closed floor plan concept if that isn't your thing.

There are GLS that also occupy the corner positions that will have the same closed effect as the OLS.

There are also GLS in the middle aft that are more open.

It may come down to how many are in your party and if the individuals involved enjoy having space to escape on their own or if that idea doesn't work as well for you.

There are numerous video on sites like YouTube that display all lofted suites so take a look at those keeping in mind if your group would do better with each floor plan.  

Honestly, I have never been in the OLS on a Q class ship so I can’t say with certainty whether it is remarkably better than the smaller corner GLS or not.  Judging just from the photographs I have seen of the OLS I would say that the increase in square footage in the OLS would not make up for the deficiencies in the layout.  The geometry of the ship design is its biggest enemy.  The sharp angle of the corner just cuts off too much real estate.  Personally, I would not book the OLS based on my poor experience with its smaller cousin, the GLS.  The design and layout itself is just inferior.

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

There are a few good blogs by members here on each of those suites.  Have a look through them.  It might help with your decision.  I personally agree with @WAAAYTOOO.  For the jump in price of the OLS, it is not worth it to me.

19 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Honestly, I have never been in the OLS on a Q class ship so I can’t say with certainty whether it is remarkably better than the smaller corner GLS or not.  Judging just from the photographs I have seen of the OLS I would say that the increase in square footage in the OLS would not make up for the deficiencies in the layout.  The geometry of the ship design is its biggest enemy.  The sharp angle of the corner just cuts off too much real estate.  Personally, I would not book the OLS based on my poor experience with its smaller cousin, the GLS.  The design and layout itself is just inferior.

Thank you both for the additional information!  We are US expats living in Singapore and while we have done several cruises, we are doing our first Star Class voyage in a few weeks!!

We had already booked a 4 night OLS aboard Quantum for Dec 31, but given your feedback we have also now booked a second 4 night voyage aboard Quantum in March in a GLS - #8724 as recommended!

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Mykl said:

Thank you both for the additional information!  We are US expats living in Singapore and while we have done several cruises, we are doing our first Star Class voyage in a few weeks!!

We had already booked a 4 night OLS aboard Quantum for Dec 31, but given your feedback we have also now booked a second 4 night voyage aboard Quantum in March in a GLS - #8724 as recommended!

Thanks again!

Just a warning, I have heard from many others that the GLS on Deck 8 can be very noisy due to the noise from 270 below. I had one booked too on Deck 8 but there were so many warnings telling me to move it that I ended up moving to Deck 10 instead.

7 hours ago, Mykl said:

Thanks again!

That is awesome !  So, you are Singapore residents, then ?  I was wondering how it would work if you were US residents living in Singapore....if they would allow you to cruise in that situation.

I will add my caution to @Lovetocruise2002regarding the noise bleed from 270 on deck 8.  It is only really bad during 270 performances, but it is VERY loud when it occurs.  You can still hear it on deck 10 but it's not nearly as loud.  Since I have not been in any of the "middle" GLS on deck 10 I cannot say for sure if there is a size difference between those and the GLS suites on deck 8.  If there is, I doubt it is significant.  All I can tell you for sure is that the middle GLS on deck 8 are incredible.  I highly recommend them.  Please report back on your impressions of the 2 suites.  I am very interested in your review of the OLS.  I have been tempted to book it in the past but then my fear of those corner suites held me back.  Perhaps I am worried about nothing !

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Since I have not been in any of the "middle" GLS on deck 10 I cannot say for sure if there is a size difference between those and the GLS suites on deck 8.  If there is, I doubt it is significant.

I inquired about this too as I had assumed that it would be similar to the ATS on oasis class, the higher you go, the smaller the square footage. Anyway, someone pointed out to me that on “cruise deck plans” it actually shows that the ones one Deck 10 are larger. 795sq. ft. vs. 840 sq. ft. Balcony shows the same size. Others in another group also confirmed that the ones on deck 10 are slightly larger. 

I'm not booked on a grand loft, by sky loft suite 8722 on Quantum. It will be my first time on a cruise so I wanna make sure I have a good experience.  Thinking if I want to change decks to 10722 instead. I'm just worried as 1 of my party is moderately prone to sea sickness. I took a chance with an Aft room, don't want to take a higher cabin if I can avoid it in case there is slight swaying.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:56 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

That is awesome !  So, you are Singapore residents, then ?  I was wondering how it would work if you were US residents living in Singapore....if they would allow you to cruise in that situation.

I will add my caution to @Lovetocruise2002regarding the noise bleed from 270 on deck 8.  It is only really bad during 270 performances, but it is VERY loud when it occurs.  You can still hear it on deck 10 but it's not nearly as loud.  Since I have not been in any of the "middle" GLS on deck 10 I cannot say for sure if there is a size difference between those and the GLS suites on deck 8.  If there is, I doubt it is significant.  All I can tell you for sure is that the middle GLS on deck 8 are incredible.  I highly recommend them.  Please report back on your impressions of the 2 suites.  I am very interested in your review of the OLS.  I have been tempted to book it in the past but then my fear of those corner suites held me back.  Perhaps I am worried about nothing !

In regards to the noise, I realize this is subjective, but how loud is the noise bleed? Like, muffled bass beats or full on rumbling floor with discernable sound. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:24 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I inquired about this too as I had assumed that it would be similar to the ATS on oasis class, the higher you go, the smaller the square footage. Anyway, someone pointed out to me that on “cruise deck plans” it actually shows that the ones one Deck 10 are larger. 795sq. ft. vs. 840 sq. ft. Balcony shows the same size. Others in another group also confirmed that the ones on deck 10 are slightly larger. 

Wondered about this too as the aft of quantum does slope a little in. Is the deck 10 suite smaller?

As far as the noise on deck 8 goes, it is not just a muffled bass.  You can hear the music and the vocals....everything.  If you are directly above 270 when there is a performance going, it will be very loud.   You might as well go down and enjoy the show in person.  Up on 10 it is more of a muffled bass and some music bleed.  I don't recall being able to hear the vocals up on 10 but you definitely still know that there is a performance going on.

As far as the size of 8 vs 10 goes, I really cannot say as I have not been in corresponding suites on different decks to make an analysis.  If there is a size difference, my guess is it isn't much.  I truly think (it's just an hypothesis) that the biggest offender is the cut-off caused by the sloping sides rather than the angle of the elevation.  Perhaps one day I will find out.

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As far as the noise on deck 8 goes, it is not just a muffled bass.  You can hear the music and the vocals....everything.  If you are directly above 270 when there is a performance going, it will be very loud.   You might as well go down and enjoy the show in person.  Up on 10 it is more of a muffled bass and some music bleed.  I don't recall being able to hear the vocals up on 10 but you definitely still know that there is a performance going on.

As far as the size of 8 vs 10 goes, I really cannot say as I have not been in corresponding suites on different decks to make an analysis.  If there is a size difference, my guess is it isn't much.  I truly think (it's just an hypothesis) that the biggest offender is the cut-off caused by the sloping sides rather than the angle of the elevation.  Perhaps one day I will find out.

That's good to know. We probably will be at the shows so it should not be a big issue, but I think I'll try to change in to Deck 10 instead. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

According to cruise deck plans and reports from a few others, it's the opposite.  Deck 10 center GLS is a bit larger than the ones on Deck 8.   But not by much.

Good to know. Now wondering if the same applies to Sky loft suites. 

9 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

That's good to know. We probably will be at the shows so it should not be a big issue, but I think I'll try to change in to Deck 10 instead. Thanks.

Good to know. Now wondering if the same applies to Sky loft suites. 

If you look at cruise deck plans,  https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Anthem-of-the-Seas, it looks like the opposite for Sky Loft suites.

Important Size Information

Dimensions vary: Deck 8- (740 sq. ft., balcony 183 sq. ft.); Deck 10- (673 sq. ft., balcony 183 sq. ft.)

Here's the link for Quantum: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Quantum-of-the-Seas

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you look at cruise deck plans,  https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Anthem-of-the-Seas, it looks like the opposite for Sky Loft suites.

Important Size Information

Dimensions vary: Deck 8- (740 sq. ft., balcony 183 sq. ft.); Deck 10- (673 sq. ft., balcony 183 sq. ft.)

Here's the link for Quantum: https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Quantum-of-the-Seas

Thank you so much. That was exactly what I was searching for. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 12/8/2020 at 9:56 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

All I can tell you for sure is that the middle GLS on deck 8 are incredible.  I highly recommend them.  Please report back on your impressions of the 2 suites.  I am very interested in your review of the OLS.  I have been tempted to book it in the past but then my fear of those corner suites held me back.  Perhaps I am worried about nothing !

So, I have been fortunate enough to do a few of the Singapore cruises over the past couple months and was able to experience the OLS and the deck 8 GLS.  A few differences, but my overall vote goes to the GLS. I just disembarked this morning and thought I would share a few thoughts while still fresh:

• Main level interior of both rooms basically feel the same size
  • The main level primary balcony is much bigger in the GLS (of the differences, this is the primary reason I preferred the GLS vs OLS)
  • Main level split bathroom of OLS is probably nice if traveling with a larger group, but there were just 2 of us so that wasn't an issue for us
  • Upstairs bathroom is much bigger in OLS (with double sink), but both have showers of similar size with dual shower heads
  • Side balconies of OLS definitely add more natural light but they are small and really only adequate for 1 person to enjoy; again, perhaps nice for larger group allowing for spaces if anyone wants to get away for a while   ?
  • The noise from 270 in both rooms didn't bother us as we were often out during show times; definitely heard it a few times, but it wasn't an issue

I am actually going on another sailing in 3 weeks and will be in a deck 10 middle GLS.  Once we return, I will share any differences between deck 8 and deck 10 middle GLS.

So the GLS on deck 8 was a corner suite ?  I think you will find a big difference when you experience the middle GLS.  It is particularly noticeable upstairs with the vanity and closet area.  SO much bigger in the middle suites.

Thank you for the comparisons.  Really very helpful.

23 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

So the GLS on deck 8 was a corner suite ?  I think you will find a big difference when you experience the middle GLS.  It is particularly noticeable upstairs with the vanity and closet area.  SO much bigger in the middle suites.

Thank you for the comparisons.  Really very helpful.

No, the OLS is a corner and the deck 8 GLS is a middle.

I’m curious to see the deck 8 vs 10 GLS - both middle. I’ve avoided the deck 10 corner GLS based on the prior info you shared!

@Mykl so happy to hear you thoughts on this.  We booked a loft on Anthem to Norway next year and I debated between the OL, and GL on both Deck 8 and 10.  In the end we went with Deck 10, one of the middle ones.  Would love to know your thoughts on that too when you get back.  According to cruise deck plans, the middle lofts on Deck 10 are supposed to be a bit larger than the ones on deck 8.  Let me know if you think there is a difference.

51 minutes ago, Mykl said:

No, the OLS is a corner and the deck 8 GLS is a middle.

I’m curious to see the deck 8 vs 10 GLS - both middle. I’ve avoided the deck 10 corner GLS based on the prior info you shared!

The main difference I think you will find between deck 10 and deck 8 is the noise level from 270.  I loved our deck 8 middle GLS but the noise from 270 was super loud during performances.  The floor and windows actually vibrated !  Probably best to NOT be trying to sleep during 270 performances.  LOL

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 9:24 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

The main difference I think you will find between deck 10 and deck 8 is the noise level from 270.  I loved our deck 8 middle GLS but the noise from 270 was super loud during performances.  The floor and windows actually vibrated !  Probably best to NOT be trying to sleep during 270 performances.  LOL

Just disembarked Quantum. Suite 10324 this time. Definitely love the deck 10 middle GLS. Definitely a bit less noise from 270 on deck 10. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d happily take either the center GLS on deck 10 or deck 8... regardless of any noise!!

In case anyone is interested, rumor on the ship is that Quantum will cancel its China sailings and extend in Singapore until September (selling through June right now).

8 hours ago, Mykl said:

In case anyone is interested, rumor on the ship is that Quantum will cancel its China sailings and extend in Singapore until September (selling through June right now).

I don't see Quantum leaving Singapore until there's a 100% guaranteed option elsewhere.

• 2 months later...