Alaska Questions - Quantum 2021

So it looks like they are bringing Quantum to Alaska next summer to tagteam with Ovation and Serenade.  I found an interesting 7 night that i wanted some feedback from folks who have done Alaska.  My question is really about the port days that look like they are over dinner hours.  Do they extend dinner hours on these type dates?  This itinerary looks interesting and as Twangster noted in previous posts not many from Seattle make it to ISP.

Cruise Segment of Itinerary

Monday - Jul 12, 2021
Day
Seattle, United States
  • Seattle, United States
  • Depart: 4:00 pm

Tuesday - Jul 13, 2021
Day
At Sea
  • At Sea

Wednesday - Jul 14, 2021
Day
Ketchikan, United States
  • Ketchikan, United States
  • Arrive: 7:00 am
  • Depart: 5:00 pm

Thursday - Jul 15, 2021
Day
Icy Strait Point, United States
  • Icy Strait Point, United States
  • Arrive: 10:00 am
  • Depart: 7:00 pm

Friday - Jul 16, 2021
Day
  • Cruising Dawes Glacier, United States
  • Arrive: 5:30 am
  • Depart: 10:00 am
  • Juneau, United States
  • Arrive: 1:30 pm
  • Depart: 10:00 pm

Saturday - Jul 17, 2021
Day
At Sea
  • At Sea

Sunday - Jul 18, 2021
Day
Victoria, Canada
  • Victoria, Canada
  • Arrive: 5:30 pm
  • Depart: 11:00 pm

Monday - Jul 19, 2021
Day
Seattle, United States
  • Seattle, United States
  • Arrive: 7:00 am

I was wondering the same thing. We did the one way from Seward, but left before supper at each port stop (save for one Juneau when someone had to leave the ship on a stretcher with their family, that's for a conversation about trip insurance.). We will be on QuantumOS for the August 9th, 2021 sailing. Can. Not. WAIT! Interested in replies of those folks who have sailed with these later port times.

I've booked a similar Quantum Alaska sailing in 2021 however our Victoria times are 10am to 6pm.  

As @Andrew72681 mentions the only reason why Victoria is on these Seattle round trip itineraries is to make the cruise "legal" with respect to the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act).  That U.S. law requires a port of call at a foreign country for foreign ships such as cruise ships.  

Quantum is running a couple of different Alaska routes next summer which makes them very attractive for anyone who has done Alaska before or anyone who might do Alaska again.  In some cases the ports are reversed one week to the next or in some cases Ketchikan appears as a port of call.  

In my case, the order of the ports allows a full day stop in Victoria but we don't visit Ketchikan.  In other cases the distances sailed means that the Victoria stop must occur in the evening on the last night.  These are the trade-offs of picking one itinerary over another.  

In some cruise forums Victoria receives some poor ratings but when you read the ratings it largely due to stopping there after dinner when many things are closed.  Like it's Victoria's fault that people booked a cruise and then the cruise line stopped in Victoria exactly when the booking said they would stop in Victoria. 

Victoria is a beautiful port of call with a lot to offer and experience.  Perhaps your brief stay there will be enough to entice you to visit again on another cruise on an itinerary that offers more time there.  I know once I did my first Alaska cruise it was such an awesome experience I had to go back.  

Awesome Information.  I've never been on an Alaska cruise so this sailing with the 4 stops and the Dawes glacier looked like a decent one for first time from Seattle.  Maybe a nice evening at some pubs in Victoria won't be all bad, I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver so I can't imagine it's that different.  Plus it's light til 930 ish in July.

11 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Awesome Information.  I've never been on an Alaska cruise so this sailing with the 4 stops and the Dawes glacier looked like a decent one for first time from Seattle.  Maybe a nice evening at some pubs in Victoria won't be all bad, I've spent a lot of time in Vancouver so I can't imagine it's that different.  Plus it's light til 930 ish in July.

If you end up on it I’ll even volunteer to buy that beer in Victoria. 

12 minutes ago, marti314 said:

For a July Alaska cruise the pricing on that week seemed great as well. We were able to get a better than expected rate on a grand suite. 

24 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

For a July Alaska cruise the pricing on that week seemed great as well. We were able to get a better than expected rate on a grand suite. 

I'm definitely on it, booked yesterday.  I look forward to meeting you.  Yea I found the prices to be very reasonable.  Yes taxes are about 2.5x a Caribbean cruise but I found the actual cabin rates quite attractive.  I am curious to see what they do with the menus for the specialty restaurants that were aligned to the Asian market.

15 minutes ago, marti314 said:

I'm definitely on it, booked yesterday.  I look forward to meeting you.  Yea I found the prices to be very reasonable.  Yes taxes are about 2.5x a Caribbean cruise but I found the actual cabin rates quite attractive.  I am curious to see what they do with the menus for the specialty restaurants that were aligned to the Asian market.

With the ship also doing Australia I could see some of those restaurants being converted into something more American. 

One word of caution about Quantum in Alaska.

The move of Quantum to Alaska was premised on Wonder sailing in China in 2021.  With Spectrum and Wonder in Asia that freed up Quantum to split her time between Australia and Alaska like so many ships have over the past few years.  

If Wonder is delayed they may need to look at this with fresh eyes.  It wouldn't be a stretch for Royal to take Quantum Alaska reservations and move them to Ovation.  Departs on a different day with different ports but equally a great Alaskan experience.  These are unprecedented times so anything is possible.   

9 hours ago, twangster said:

The move of Quantum to Alaska was premised on Wonder sailing in China in 2021.  With Spectrum and Wonder in Asia that freed up Quantum to split her time between Australia and Alaska like so many ships have over the past few years.  

If Wonder is delayed they may need to look at this with fresh eyes.  It wouldn't be a stretch for Royal to take Quantum Alaska reservations and move them to Ovation.  Departs on a different day with different ports but equally a great Alaskan experience.  These are unprecedented times so anything is possible.   

Hopefully their last several giant screw-ups and sloppily presented Mea- culpas have taught them to make better decisions, (and I may upset the old ship fans) but don’t try to move me to Serenade. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

Hopefully their last several giant screw-ups and sloppily presented Mea- culpas have taught them to make better decisions, (and I may upset the old ship fans) but don’t try to move me to Serenade. 

Serenade is using Vancouver so i dont think that is possible.  

34 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Serenade is using Vancouver so i dont think that is possible.  

Would we have ever thought before yesterday taking people out of star class suites, moving them to a Junior Suite on Liberty, and telling them to either like it or lose their deposit was possible before yesterday? 
it definitely seems like decisions aren’t being better before going out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:48 PM, twangster said:

Interesting correlation.  We are booked in May for Quantum.  I will have to watch the Wonder and Spectrum build schedule.