Warning - Royal Changing Ships Without Notice

I always try to stay positive but Royal has implemented an unprecedented change that should be a cause for concern for everyone.  They are changing a ship, swapping an Oasis class ship to a Freedom class ship and arbitrarily moving guests into new cabins with no recourse, no refund and few options.

This is unprecedented and it should be a cause for concern for anyone booking a Royal Caribbean cruise.  The ship and cabin or cabin category you book may not be what you find yourself sailing. 

Without notice or communication your ship and cabin can be substituted to something else. 

We all know that the cruise contract allows Royal to make certain changes when they are required to do so.  Historically that has resulted in itinerary changes that substitute different ports of call.  That's different than swapping in an entirely different ship.   Historically when Royal redeploys a ship the future cruises on the impacted ship are cancelled and they have typically offer some sort of compensation in the form of a small on board credit.  That's not happening now.

In the case of Allure of the Seas from Galveston Royal Caribbean has decided to postpone building the new terminal there which means that Allure can't sail from Galveston as they had planned.  

This morning I have discovered that rather than cancelling Allure bookings Royal has substituted Liberty of the Seas in her place and arbitrarily changed cabins to a different cabin category downgrading in the process.

The options they have offered - accept their change or lose the deposit.   

Imagine booking an international flight in First Class that includes lie flat seats, complimentary meal and beverage service and everything else that goes with First Class only to discover the airline has swapped in a smaller plane and placed you in another seat that doesn't include any First Class benefits.  That is what Royal Caribbean is now doing on future cruises without changing the fare paid or offering any compensation.

This change is unprecedented. 

Why Should This Matter To You

The cruise you book can and will be changed by Royal Caribbean to anything they want without notice or compensation.  They aren't just changing some ports on an itinerary, they are now changing the entire ship and cabin category.  

Let's say you booked Oasis of the Seas.  You may find that ship has been redeployed due to the pandemic and now your cruise is moved to another ship.  Maybe even a smaller ship that doesn't offer your type of cabin or any of the features and activities for the ship you booked.

I can understand why they need to do this.  Cancelling thousands of bookings at a time when there is no income is a recipe for bankruptcy.  However for us, the cruising public on the receiving end of these unprecedented changes, it represents a whole new level of risk when booking a cruise.  

This pandemic has created unprecedented changes at so many levels.  This move by Royal Caribbean represents a new twist to vacation planning on a level we've never experienced before.

I've long said I don't care where the cruise goes, just get me on the ship.  The problem now when booking a cruise is I don't know what ship I will actually be sailing on.

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Imagine booking an international flight in First Class that includes lie flat seats, complimentary meal and beverage service and everything else that goes with First Class only to discover the airline has swapped in a smaller plane and placed you in another seat that doesn't include any First Class benefits.  That is what Royal Caribbean is now doing on future cruises without changing the fare paid or offering any compensation.

Even the airlines who are famous for doing the wrong thing will let you cancel when downgauging happens. 

1 minute ago, rjac said:

Is Royal going to notify booked cruisers when this change happens in advance of the cruise date? This really sucks!☹️

Oh man, can you imagine being uninformed of what the differences really are and showing up to find a ship not nearly as well appointed. 
I sometimes forget normal people don’t read this blog and watch YouTube ship tours. 

18 minutes ago, rjac said:

Is Royal going to notify booked cruisers when this change happens in advance of the cruise date? This really sucks!☹️

I found out by looking at my future cruises on the website. 

They removed me from Star Class that would have included a Genie, prepaid gratuity, Voom, deluxe beverage package and the dining package among other benefits and now those are all lost since Liberty doesn't offer Star Class.  No change in fare, no compensation, no refund option.  Can't Lift & Shift a fall 2021 cruise and CWC doesn't apply as I've only paid a deposit.   Sail Liberty or walk away from my deposit.  

For my party including family members sailing with me, adding gratuity, Voom, deluxe beverage and the dining package adds nearly $4k to the cruise cost.  

This clearly looks like a cash grab as otherwise they wouldn’t be able to sell rooms on Liberty as quickly as they would have sold on Allure. If we figure 2,000 less people per sailing at an average of 1,000 per person it’s 2 million less a week in revenue just for cruise fare. 
I don’t comprehend why they didn’t offer these people the ability to keep their room on Allure out of Florida. 

1 minute ago, Andrew72681 said:

This clearly looks like a cash grab as otherwise they wouldn’t be able to sell rooms on Liberty as quickly as they would have sold on Allure. If we figure 2,000 less people per sailing at an average of 1,000 per person it’s 2 million less a week in revenue just for cruise fare. 
I don’t comprehend why they didn’t offer these people the ability to keep their room on Allure out of Florida. 

They have confirmed bookings they can simply move to Liberty.  They were almost certainly not sold out so while they had Allure with an average of something like 30% sold now they have those folks on Liberty at something like 60% sold out since it's a much smaller ship.  Next step is make Allure available in FL for a whole new set of cruisers to book.  

I always hate it when someone declares "bait & switch" when the majority of the time it isn't.  I have a hard time seeing this any anything but bait and switch.  Alure people to book Allure (pun intended) then move them to Liberty while offering Allure to whole new set of unsuspecting guppies.  

On another note, it's possibly a red flag.  Bankruptcy may be closer than many of us would like to admit.  They can't cancel Allure bookings - the refunds would sink the company.  

22 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

It’s been a hot garbage fire especially for suites. There was a person who was in a 2 bedroom Aquatheater suite and they told her the only option was to move to a Junior Suite on Liberty. No compensation at all for the lost inclusions (dining, beverage, etc)

We didn't get stuffed into a JS, but probably only because the number of us in our two bedroom ATS wouldn't fit in a JS.

You know, with everything going on and all the uncertainty in the air...I think we are just going to cancel our upcoming cruise and stay at home.  Maybe one day they will get all this sorted but I really don't feel like giving my hard earned money to someone to be restricted and have them make changes to our vacation because its better for the cruise line.  

This happens a LOT with airlines.  They will cancel a route completely.  Put you on different Aircraft, different connections,  move your seats  but the BIG difference is any time this happens with an airline you have the option for full cancel and full refund due to the changes which are NOT what you agreed to in your contract with them.  

RCL is digging itself a bigger hole than this pandemic has already handed out.

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

It’s been a hot garbage fire especially for suites. There was a person who was in a 2 bedroom Aquatheater suite and they told her the only option was to move to a Junior Suite on Liberty. No compensation at all for the lost inclusions (dining, beverage, etc)

I know someone else that this also happened to !

??

I have a cruise this November aboard the Oasis and was seriously considering booking another cruise for next year, but after reading this, I may just hold off for cruising next year and do something different. To many changes and reactions by RCI. I will have to wait and see how this sailing goes (if it goes) this November. I really hope RCI thinks about what they may do to themselves long term vs short term.

I have a relatively cheap cruise in September, waiting to see what happens with that before committing to anymore.

Smallish deposit down on the Blog cruise for next Thanksgiving ..

And a floating credit on NCL that i cant find anything to use it on ...

Ok, so i have more in play still than i thought.

Ugh.  I'm pretty sure my Empress sailing in August will be canceled, as it's the only one on the schedule between now and late October when she is due in Miami.  We've been wondering why they didn't just cancel it with all the other cancellations for Canadian sailings - this was the only one to Bermuda on Empress's schedule past August 1.  All the rest were to Canada. 

Now you have me thinking they may send another ship in her place, which means we will not be docking in Hamilton and St. Georges but back over at the Royal Dockyard.  The whole appeal of this sailing (besides all the friends on it) was to dock where no other ship can.  We docked in those two small ports in 1997 on Song of America.  Sighhhhh...

When they replaced the Indy from us in the UK last year I’m sure they gave full refunds? This does not sound like RC they are usually good at things like this..??‍♂️
I hope they Reconsider otherwise lots of cruisers will be gone for good over something so small, I don’t really see a issue with refunds  because most will have only paid a deposit this far out..! 

@twangster you might want to try your luck.  Someone in another group lost her ATS on Allure and they moved her to a JS on Liberty.  She fought it and now today they moved her to an ATS on Symphony, she had to move her sail date but they kept her pricing the same.  YMMV

Now I'm getting more concerned about the following email.  I only have a central park balcony at stake so I'm not too worried.

Dear Guest,

We hope that amidst this situation, you have remained healthy, safe, and optimistic that each day that passes, is another day closer to a more regular day-to-day.

Given the closure of shipyards along with the disruption to the supply chain caused by this pandemic, the amplification of Allure of the Seas, which included renovations and new signature attractions, has been moved to a later date. Currently, Allure is in Cadiz, Spain receiving a routine technical dry dock to ensure she is ready for your cruise. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise and apologize for this delay in our construction plans. But don't worry, Allure won't disappoint - she will still have next level thrills on every deck. Our adventure seekers can surf the waves on the FlowRider, catch views of the Boardwalk from a vantage point unlike any other on the zipline, or discover new heights as you rock climb at sea. If relaxing is number one on your to-do list, we also have you covered. Enjoy live music as you sip a cocktail, experience world-class entertainment at live production show, or grab a bite to eat at one of our specialty dining venues.

This change does mean that we'll need to make a few updates to some of our stateroom categories in our internal systems. So, over the next few weeks, your stateroom category name for your sailing will show as a guarantee. Once we've completed our work behind-the-scenes, your stateroom category name will be different than what you originally booked. However, please know, your stateroom location, dimensions, and number will all remain the same. The only change will be the name of your stateroom category name.

While we do hope you choose to stay booked on our Allure of the Seas November 1, 2020 sailing, we understand the impact this change has caused on your vacation. Should you choose not to sail, you are welcome to take advantage of our Cruise with Confidence policy. This provides you with the flexibility to cancel your reservation up to 48 hours prior to departure for sailings that depart before April 30th, 2022 and receive a Future Cruise Credit. To learn more about this program, please visit https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence. If you decide you'd like to cancel your upcoming cruise and receive a credit and you don't want to wait on the phone, please click here to get the process started.

And, should you have any questions or concerns, we are here to assist. Please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at (888) 281-9344 and know, hold times may be a bit longer than usual due to this unparalleled situation.

We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this situation, and know that together, we will all come out of this stronger than ever. In the meantime, please stay safe. We can't wait to welcome you onboard for an amazing cruise vacation!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Brand

24 minutes ago, Jason12 said:

When they replaced the Indy from us in the UK last year I’m sure they gave full refunds?

Yes, that is correct. However, when we priced up the equivalent itinerary and cabin on Anthem to match our cancelled Independence sailing, it was a lot more expensive! No additional compensation was available.

1 hour ago, marti314 said:

This happens a LOT with airlines.  They will cancel a route completely.  Put you on different Aircraft, different connections,  move your seats  but the BIG difference is any time this happens with an airline you have the option for full cancel and full refund due to the changes which are NOT what you agreed to in your contract with them.  

RCL is digging itself a bigger hole than this pandemic has already handed out.

United told me my direct flights that were changed to layovers and slight time difference didn't qualify for cash refund because it was less than 12 hours. I recall reading they changed that. Luckily one flight was points (redeposited) the other was just under $400 which was converted to a voucher. Paid upgrades refunded to credit card (with a pretty lengthy explanation and documents to support my request - if I sat tight, I would have lost over $600...)

This entire thread makes me nervous for my upcoming final payment on the Oasis of the Seas given the state of NY/NJ.

48 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Now I'm getting more concerned about the following email.  I only have a central park balcony at stake so I'm not too worried.

Dear Guest,

We hope that amidst this situation, you have remained healthy, safe, and optimistic that each day that passes, is another day closer to a more regular day-to-day.

Given the closure of shipyards along with the disruption to the supply chain caused by this pandemic, the amplification of Allure of the Seas, which included renovations and new signature attractions, has been moved to a later date. Currently, Allure is in Cadiz, Spain receiving a routine technical dry dock to ensure she is ready for your cruise. We know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise and apologize for this delay in our construction plans. But don't worry, Allure won't disappoint - she will still have next level thrills on every deck. Our adventure seekers can surf the waves on the FlowRider, catch views of the Boardwalk from a vantage point unlike any other on the zipline, or discover new heights as you rock climb at sea. If relaxing is number one on your to-do list, we also have you covered. Enjoy live music as you sip a cocktail, experience world-class entertainment at live production show, or grab a bite to eat at one of our specialty dining venues.

This change does mean that we'll need to make a few updates to some of our stateroom categories in our internal systems. So, over the next few weeks, your stateroom category name for your sailing will show as a guarantee. Once we've completed our work behind-the-scenes, your stateroom category name will be different than what you originally booked. However, please know, your stateroom location, dimensions, and number will all remain the same. The only change will be the name of your stateroom category name.

While we do hope you choose to stay booked on our Allure of the Seas November 1, 2020 sailing, we understand the impact this change has caused on your vacation. Should you choose not to sail, you are welcome to take advantage of our Cruise with Confidence policy. This provides you with the flexibility to cancel your reservation up to 48 hours prior to departure for sailings that depart before April 30th, 2022 and receive a Future Cruise Credit. To learn more about this program, please visit https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence. If you decide you'd like to cancel your upcoming cruise and receive a credit and you don't want to wait on the phone, please click here to get the process started.

And, should you have any questions or concerns, we are here to assist. Please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at (888) 281-9344 and know, hold times may be a bit longer than usual due to this unparalleled situation.

We appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation during this situation, and know that together, we will all come out of this stronger than ever. In the meantime, please stay safe. We can't wait to welcome you onboard for an amazing cruise vacation!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Brand

I'd run if I were you. November 1st out of the med seems like it's slipping away by the day and you seem to be one of the lucky ones who can get a refund, even if it will take months.

You would think that if they would send an email describing a room category change that they would send an email describing A WHOLE FREAK'N SHIP CHANGE!!! I'm sure there's a room category change in there, too! WOW!! TOTAL BAIT AND SWITCH! SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS!! It's like you think your booking the concierge floor at the Hyatt and you end up at the free morning buffet Best Western Plus and free use of the house phone to arrange your own activities (a la concierge)! TOTALLY WRONG WRONG WRONG! 

I hope that @Mattor Doug Parker, Cruise Radio News, will cover this on their next podcast.

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

So even if you have a refundable deposit they won't honor it? 

Oh no..refundable deposit stays a refund.  But you definitely only can get the nonrefundable deposit as a FCC..at least under CWC it's still the full deposit amount without the change fee.

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

So, over the next few weeks, your stateroom category name for your sailing will show as a guarantee. Once we've completed our work behind-the-scenes, your stateroom category name will be different than what you originally booked. However, please know, your stateroom location, dimensions, and number will all remain the same. The only change will be the name of your stateroom category name.

This is almost the exact verbiage we got about 1 month ago.  We had booked the new "SPA" category cabin on Symphony for May 2021.  I purposely selected the 2nd sailing in fear that they could have been hit with typical delays (booked prior Covid).   Luckily we did have a refundable, so I canceled and upgraded to a JS.  

I was upset with  RCL because the "SPA" category basically came with more things than the traditional balcony and we were being charged more than the traditional balcony, but now we were going to pay for a product at a higher price that they were not delivering.  Hence, cancel and upgrade.

Just now, Pima1988 said:

This is almost the exact verbiage we got about 1 month ago.  We had booked the new "SPA" category cabin on Symphony for May 2021.  I purposely selected the 2nd sailing in fear that they could have been hit with typical delays (booked prior Covid).   Luckily we did have a refundable, so I canceled and upgraded to a JS.  

I was upset with  RCL because the "SPA" category basically came with more things than the traditional balcony and we were being charged more than the traditional balcony, but now we were going to pay for a product at a higher price that they were not delivering.  Hence, cancel and upgrade.

We got lucky, when we booked the spa balcony it was actually priced cheaper than connecting oceanview balcony rooms. So we lucked into what became a standard oceanview balcony at a savings of almost 1000.

Seems people are getting this thread confused with the replaced ship for Galveston and the November TA booking ??‍♂️ Obviously the TA is still the Allure not amped which I’m on and don’t see a problem with the price etc, but it’s out of order for the Galveston cruises, deposit refunds in cash is the least they should do..

31 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

at least he isn't losing the deposit as they said @twangster would.

Standard NRDB rules apply.  I'll lose $100 of my $250 towards a fee for not sailing a ship I didn't book. 

Plus I'll lose all of the the deposit I paid for my siblings since the FCC generated goes to them.  They are brand new cruisers who just got rid of their timeshare and wanted to try cruising but now have an awful taste in their mouth for Royal.  All the king's horses and the king's men won't be able to help me put that humpty dumpty back together again.  

Someone just posted the text below on a LOS Facebook page. Maybe there's hope after all? 

If you were booked on ALLURE and thought your options were limited to Liberty, That has changed today. Call if you wish to make changes. You can now: (1) Still move to Liberty, (2) Move to ANY other ship on a Caribbean cruise with your 7 night price protected (you can move 4 weeks before or after as well, like lift and shift), or (3) get a refund of your deposit (whether it was refundable or not).
We moved to Symphony, for the two weeks, in January 2022..Mine is done! Call RC if you want to make changes. Your move is still covered by Cruise with Confidence.We did have to pay a small difference in port fees. We are VERY pleased, since we wouldn't be getting Allure in Galveston then.

11 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Someone just posted the text below on a LOS Facebook page. Maybe there's hope after all? 

If you were booked on ALLURE and thought your options were limited to Liberty, That has changed today. Call if you wish to make changes. You can now: (1) Still move to Liberty, (2) Move to ANY other ship on a Caribbean cruise with your 7 night price protected (you can move 4 weeks before or after as well, like lift and shift), or (3) get a refund of your deposit (whether it was refundable or not).
We moved to Symphony, for the two weeks, in January 2022..Mine is done! Call RC if you want to make changes. Your move is still covered by Cruise with Confidence.We did have to pay a small difference in port fees. We are VERY pleased, since we wouldn't be getting Allure in Galveston then.

Glad to hear!  

6 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

My agent has been fighting with them. 

No price protection at the moment.  They'll waive the $100 per person fee to move me to another ship but fare will be adjusted to prevailing rates for that ship.      

The only new thing this afternoon is an offer for 100% cancellation refund.  I'm jumping at this every chance I get.  Whenever the option for all of my deposit back is offered that is a no brainer for me.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Standard NRDB rules apply.  I'll lose $100 of my $250 towards a fee for not sailing a ship I didn't book. 

Plus I'll lose all of the the deposit I paid for my siblings since the FCC generated goes to them.  They are brand new cruisers who just got rid of their timeshare and wanted to try cruising but now have an awful taste in their mouth for Royal.  All the king's horses and the king's men won't be able to help me put that humpty dumpty back together again.  

I wonder if its EU consumer protection rules that are giving the other guy the option to not lose the deposit.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I thought CWC covered the change fee as long as you change by August 1?  

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines. Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to August 1, 2020 - the change fee will be waived.

It does leave a bad taste in their mouth, understandable.  And this situation has to be extra frustrating.  I hope that your TA can persevere and get you the resolution you deserve.  I've read at least one success story so far of getting moved to a different ship and date price protected with the same Star Class cabin.

25 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I thought CWC covered the change fee as long as you change by August 1?  

It does leave a bad taste in their mouth, understandable.  And this situation has to be extra frustrating.  I hope that your TA can persevere and get you the resolution you deserve.  I've read at least one success story so far of getting moved to a different ship and date price protected with the same Star Class cabin.

My TA has invested several hours on this talking with various levels.  

Royal "offered" to move us to another ship waiving the $100 NRD fee but there would be no price protection.  We would need to pay prevailing rates for Star Class on another ship.  Since we booked Allure within an hour of it opening up we had a pretty good rate.  That rate isn't available on other ships and Star Class availability is pretty low in general.  

They refused to grant any equivalent Star Class benefits for accepting their move of our booking to Liberty.  No gratuity, no Voom, No beverage package, no dining package, etc.  

Finally they offered a 100% refund of the non-refundable deposit.  I jumped at this. 

They said it can take up to 90 days to receive the refund.  I had a talk with my credit card company and explained it all truthfully.  Royal cancelled the cruise, attempted to substitute an inferior ship in a different class of service and ultimately they offered a refund in full but at 90 days away.  My credit card company also found this 90 days to be unacceptable so they are disputing the transaction on the basis that it shouldn't take 90 days to receive a refund when the merchant cancelled the service and will eventually issue the refund in full.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

My TA has invested several hours on this talking with various levels.  

Royal "offered" to move us to another ship waiving the $100 NRD fee but there would be no price protection.  We would need to pay prevailing rates for Star Class on another ship.  Since we booked Allure within an hour of it opening up we had a pretty good rate.  That rate isn't available on other ships and Star Class availability is pretty low in general.  

They refused to grant any equivalent Star Class benefits for accepting their move of our booking to Liberty.  No gratuity, no Voom, No beverage package, no dining package, etc.  

Finally they offered a 100% refund of the non-refundable deposit.  I jumped at this. 

They said it can take up to 90 days to receive the refund.  I had a talk with my credit card company and explained it all truthfully.  Royal cancelled the cruise, attempted to substitute an inferior ship in a different class of service and ultimately they offered a refund in full but at 90 days away.  My credit card company also found this 90 days to be unacceptable so they are disputing the transaction on the basis that it shouldn't take 90 days to receive a refund when the merchant cancelled the service and will eventually issue the refund in full.  

Unfortunately I think more of us should have taken the disputed charge tactic at the beginning when they started playing the long game with refunds. 

This should not happen. For 1 person to get their booking transferred with price protection and everyone else has to cancel, wait 90 days and start all over again at significantly higher prices is just wrong on so many levels.  Not only is the whole situation noxious, the level of service and CS incompetence is staggering.  This is going to result a LOT of turmoil and festering feelings.