Pullmantur cancels sailings through November

4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

"The three-ship fleet includes the Monarch, Sovereign and Horizon, and is part of a joint venture with Royal Caribbean Cruises."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23073-pullmantur-cancels-sailings-through-november.html

It looks like they were going be Mediterranean till October and then have a season in South America servicing the southern Caribbean. As South America was late to the game not surprising to cancel till November in Colombia as fatality rates in South America have outpaced even those of NYC. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Makes me wonder if this changes the status of the Grandeur move.

I know...me, too.  I just booked a Grandeur for 10 October.  I'm wondering if Grandeur will ever sail again for Royal.  It sorta makes me a little sick to my stomach to think that Grandeur may be going straight to the scrap yard.  I hope that doesn't happen.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I know...me, too.  I just booked a Grandeur for 10 October.  I'm wondering if Grandeur will ever sail again for Royal.  It sorta makes me a little sick to my stomach to think that Grandeur may be going straight to the scrap yard.  I hope that doesn't happen.

I would be shocked if that happened ... if I was a betting man, and this goes for the other ships under the Pullmantur label, RC will take over under their name and continue to run the routes as planned.  Who knows though.  As for the scrap yard.  I don't think we're even close to that yet.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:53 AM, coneyraven said:

I would be shocked if that happened ... if I was a betting man, and this goes for the other ships under the Pullmantur label, RC will take over under their name and continue to run the routes as planned.  Who knows though.  As for the scrap yard.  I don't think we're even close to that yet.

Kinda conflicting reports on Pullmantur...one report states restructuring the business...another seem to suggest dismantling of the business. If I was a betting man...i bet Pullmantur is done, their ships are scrapped, RC cut ties & and save capital, and expect some ship under the Royal banner to be moved/sold and/or scrapped....and I would not be surprised Empress, Majesty,  and all of the Vision Class be eventually moved/sold and/or scrapped. Not just because of the age of those ships; but, it appear the capacity is going to cut initial & for some duration of time, which make these ships even more less efficient/green tech, and with limited balcony cabins(which seem to be a huge concern for the CDC), as well as HEPA Filtration systems, those ships provide little reason, in Royal quest to satisfy the CDC & return to cruising. It is what it is under today's climate.

38 minutes ago, bobroo said:

It would come as no surprise to me if 10 or 15 Royal ships were decommissioned by the end of the summer.

I really don't think you mean to say decommissioned - that would be a lot of ships to essentially scrap.  I agree with @Zambia-Zaire in that some may be transferred and some may be sold, but 10-15 decommissioned seems like bankruptcy time to me.  And I doubt that will happen by the end of August.

For some reason I think of decommissioning as being a military term but the point remains valid.

Short of decommissioning I could see a form of cold storage.  The form of storage that minimizes the operational aspects of the ship to the bare minimum to prevent it from forever being unable to return into service.  In this manner they retain ownership of the ships and three or fours years from now they could bring the ships back into an operational mode to resume sailings.  Putting half the fleet into cold storage this summer may become a requirement soon.   A.K.A. "mothballing".