Cruise planner items credited not refunded

I received my new invoice from Royal today for a cruise I lifted and shifted.  I was told that my original cruise planner items would be refunded to my original form of payment. Instead they credited them to the balance owed on my cruise over a year away.  Final payment on this cruise isn’t due until next June.  Now Royal has over $1000 of my money I was expecting to be refunded to my credit card.  Has this happened to anyone else??

Do you have confirmation of the cruise planner cancellations (email) that shows your original form of payment? Near the bottom it should say that it will be refunded to your original form of payment. You NEED that email to go farther with this. When I Lifted and Shifted I received an email where all my Cruise Planner purchases were automatically cancelled.

1 hour ago, Shari3 said:

I received my new invoice from Royal today for a cruise I lifted and shifted.  I was told that my original cruise planner items would be refunded to my original form of payment. Instead they credited them to the balance owed on my cruise over a year away.  Final payment on this cruise isn’t due until next June.  Now Royal has over $1000 of my money I was expecting to be refunded to my credit card.  Has this happened to anyone else??

The same occurred to me also. I received a credit towards the amount owed on my future cruise, which I was okay with. I did receive emails also showing cruise planner purchases were automatically cancelled also. Since I did not mind the credit towards my future cruise, especially since it was money already spent, I didn’t follow up any further.

17 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

The same occurred to me also. I received a credit towards the amount owed on my future cruise, which I was okay with. I did receive emails also showing cruise planner purchases were automatically cancelled also. Since I did not mind the credit towards my future cruise, especially since it was money already spent, I didn’t follow up any further.

I am curious, did your cancellation say that your CP purchases would be credited back to your original form of payment?

48 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Do you have confirmation of the cruise planner cancellations (email) that shows your original form of payment? Near the bottom it should say that it will be refunded to your original form of payment. You NEED that email to go farther with this. When I Lifted and Shifted I received an email where all my Cruise Planner purchases were automatically cancelled.

Yes I have that confirmation email. I called them and they are going to fix it and refund my credit card. Smooth move on their part trying to hold onto my money!

21 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

I did mind that they did this because it interfered with me using a full FCC toward my balance. And I really didn’t want them to hold my money for another year. 

39 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

I am curious, did your cancellation say that your CP purchases would be credited back to your original form of payment?

Yes. But figured it was a form email generated and instead in my case they just credited my future cruise.  On my confirmation on the new cruise it shows as a payment.

28 minutes ago, Shari3 said:

I did mind that they did this because it interfered with me using a full FCC toward my balance. And I really didn’t want them to hold my money for another year. 

I totally understand, especially since you were using a FCC.

18 hours ago, Shari3 said:

17 hours ago, Kathleen said:

While the cruise I want to change isn't eligible for 'lift & shift' (because of the cruise I'd replace it with) this is the reason I cancelled my Cruise Planner purchases first, once that's processed, I'll discuss options with my Travel Agent. I was concerned how it might be handled if we cancelled, or became one of the lucky ones who lifted & shifted to something completely different. While I do consider it money spent and paid my CC already ... but, I'd rather earn some (quickly declining) interest from Ally :).

Edited by sk8erguy1978
typo

4 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

While the cruise I want to change isn't eligible for 'lift & shift' (because of the cruise I'd replace it with) this is the reason I cancelled my Cruise Planner purchases first, once that's processed, I'll discuss options with my Travel Agent. I was concerned how it might be handled if we cancelled, or became one of the lucky ones who lifted & shifted to something completely different. While I do consider it money spent and paid my CC already ... but, I'd rather earn some (quickly declining) interest from Ally :).

In hindsight I totally agree with you.  I should have cancelled my planner purchases first. But that doesn’t excuse Royal for trying to be slick and holding onto my money. 

14 minutes ago, Shari3 said:

In hindsight I totally agree with you.  I should have cancelled my planner purchases first. But that doesn’t excuse Royal for trying to be slick and holding onto my money. 

Not in the least. You should have been presented with options. Heck even United Airlines gave me options.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Thank you all for the insight on this. Looks like I'll be reaching out to my TA and see if this happened with my Lift and Shift as well.

If it happened it will appear on your confirmation as PAID monies. Normally all that appears there is your deposit monies. 

On 6/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, CGTLH said:

Thank you all for the insight on this. Looks like I'll be reaching out to my TA and see if this happened with my Lift and Shift as well.

Just an update. Spoke with my TA today and after some digging she saw my cruise planner purchases being refunded a few days ago. The LnS for the sailing had occurred 4 weeks ago, same day I got the "Cruise Planner Cancellation Summary" email.