Okay, I'll ask the question: thermal scans and hot flashes

I know some of us have been wondering about this. So, I'll throw it out there:

When they (port people) employ this thermal scan technology (as has been discussed), will the person with the scanner be able to identify the difference between a fever and a hot flash? Will this result in "please step aside and someone will be with you shortly, oh, please put on this bio-hazard suit." Admittedly, I've done very cursory research and I think it can eventually be figured out, but it will result in delays for the inidividual and their family/travel companions (or missed boarding altogether). Sucks. . . ROYALLY.

Well since they really only will pull you out for a temp over 100, I doubt you have anything to worry about. I am sure tons of people run to reach their destination, thereby raising their internal temp. While you will probably be sweaty and out of breath, it won't affect the reading much.

4 hours ago, MKMAJ1 said:

The short answer is that you're probably going to be okay with temperature checks. A hot flash doesn't really raise your temperature, it's hormones messing with your body thermostat. 

This is true. I once thought I was in the throes of a corona crisis and checked my temp - it was 97.2.  I was in major hot flash territory!

18 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Not sure how keeping people safe sucks but anyway.

Not sure how delaying or denying boarding to an individual experiencing a temporary thermal anomaly keeps anybody safe.

The more likely issue is for those who spent too much time in too much sun with too little SPF protection. That situation DOES elevate the temperature on your skin, potentially to a level that would raise concerns with a thermal scanner.

1 minute ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Not sure how delaying or denying boarding to an individual experiencing a temporary thermal anomaly keeps anybody safe.

The more likely issue is for those who spent too much time in too much sun with too little SPF protection. That situation DOES elevate the temperature on your skin, potentially to a level that would raise concerns with a thermal scanner.

I think that they'd do a secondary evaluation (as opposed to just denying boarding based on one value).

12 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I think that they'd do a secondary evaluation (as opposed to just denying boarding based on one value).

Yes. Currently out in Vegas for employees if you pop on the scan you can either turn around or sit down for 15 minutes and go through again. If after that you are still above the threshold they give you secondary screening. 
if there’s not a million false positives when it’s 110 degrees in Vegas we should survive coming back from the beach in Nassau. 

So typically how I'm seen these temperature checkpoints go, the first check point is straight forward. Under 100.4 easy in. If you are over 100.4 you go through an additional screening process where they ask more questions and check again. I heard of cases where people with temps over 100.4 were still let through the check point after additional screenings if deemed safe.

I'm sure that process with vary greatly depending on the company's procedures.

I take hormone shots for prostrate cancer after surgery and radiation, hot flashes suck. I knew they were a pain in the ass for my wife, but now I fully understand. I think you can get through a health check, I went through them going to hospital for some routine tests. I am not going to stress about it, just want to get back aboard.  

19 hours ago, ehw51 said:

I take hormone shots for prostrate cancer after surgery and radiation, hot flashes suck. I knew they were a pain in the ass for my wife, but now I fully understand. I think you can get through a health check, I went through them going to hospital for some routine tests. I am not going to stress about it, just want to get back aboard.  

I’m in surgical menopause due to stage 4b endometrial cancer. I’m approaching 5 years post total hysterectomy and unfortunately the hot flashes will always be an issue. 

I wouldn’t trade them though for the alternative ? ? 

Good luck to you with your treatments! I’m approaching 4 years NED thanks to immunotherapy. 

Hot Flashers unite! 

I have a fear of this also, not because of hot flashes, but because of anxiety/fear.  I am not someone with "anxiety" issues, but I know myself,  as I drive to the port, my mind will start saying OMG what if my temp is too high.  It just will create a downward spiral, with me over thinking it, thus my bp will go up, my body will react.

My husband and I have talked about this, because believe it or not my avg body temp is not 98.6, but 99.6.  It was the same for my Dad.  I have no wiggle room.  Add in a hot day, and fear, I am pretty sure I will be pulled out of the line.  I am actually thinking of when we finally sail to go to my doc and get a letter stating medically my temp is 99.6 if you do a forehead scan.  

Trust me, I had my hip replaced @ 18 months ago.  They did the fore head scan and said to my doc/surgeon "she has a fever".  He turned and said do a temp in her left ear. They did and my temp was 98.6.  I was good to go.  It was only because he knew as my doc from my medical history that my body temperature is not "common" or avg.  Hence, why I am thinking I will have to take a certified medical doc stating my typical body temp is actually 99.6, not 98.6.  

13 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

my avg body temp is not 98.6, but 99.6.  It was the same for my Dad. 

Interesting.  I am exactly the opposite, and it is the same with my Dad, too.  My "normal" body temperature is 96.9.  His was, too.  No "Ice Queen" jokes, please !!  LOL

I have run a true fever maybe 4 times in my life.  I NEVER run a fever...and if I do, you'd better get me to a hospital RIGHT NOW.

So I guess my chances of running afoul of the temp scan are markedly reduced from yours.  This whole thing is so silly.  Temp has proven to be a completely unreliable marker for CV-19.  It's going to be a mess for a while.

@WAAAYTOOO

That is my point.  Look at it.  This forum has maybe 1% of 1% of all cruisers.  

Yet, here you go.  2 of us are not the "norm/avg" when it comes to body temps.  

You could have a 99.6 and they will say you are good to go.  However, for me that would really be a 102 degree temp since my body is 3 degrees higher than yours.  

It is just down right ridiculous.  I am not lying nor exaggerating, I really feel like I am going to take not only a notarized letter from my doc, but an ear thermometer too. 

Caveat, I believe that is all BS!  I keep thinking Covid is like the chicken pox.  You can be contagious without showing symptons for days.  I get on the ship with perfect temp...sea day day 2.  Port day day 3.  Still good.  Sea day day 4 (they don't check), port day 5, come back and my temp is high. UHHHH...I just spent 5 days where I went to the Balloon drop, ate in the MDR for lunch, used my Thermal pass, played trivia in Schooners...etc, etc, etc.  So what good is doing these checks if .we know that there is a lag time from exposure to symptomatic, and on top of that some people are a-symptomatic. 

I might actually cancel my cruise, because of the thought of port days.  I can't even fathom how long it will take standing outside waiting to board at a port like OSJ in May when they have to fore head scan every single passenger on Symphony.   Seriously, think about how long that line will be.  

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

I have a fear of this also, not because of hot flashes, but because of anxiety/fear.  I am not someone with "anxiety" issues, but I know myself,  as I drive to the port, my mind will start saying OMG what if my temp is too high.  It just will create a downward spiral, with me over thinking it, thus my bp will go up, my body will react.

My husband and I have talked about this, because believe it or not my avg body temp is not 98.6, but 99.6.  It was the same for my Dad.  I have no wiggle room.  Add in a hot day, and fear, I am pretty sure I will be pulled out of the line.  I am actually thinking of when we finally sail to go to my doc and get a letter stating medically my temp is 99.6 if you do a forehead scan.  

Trust me, I had my hip replaced @ 18 months ago.  They did the fore head scan and said to my doc/surgeon "she has a fever".  He turned and said do a temp in her left ear. They did and my temp was 98.6.  I was good to go.  It was only because he knew as my doc from my medical history that my body temperature is not "common" or avg.  Hence, why I am thinking I will have to take a certified medical doc stating my typical body temp is actually 99.6, not 98.6.  

I would go a step further and actually have it sent to their special services department before arriving at the terminal. 
The terminal staff aren’t well trained in these kind of issues and the simple phrase of “just check my file, it’s already in there” may get you to the cruise equivalent of “level 2 support” even quicker. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I would go a step further and actually have it sent to their special services department before arriving at the terminal. 
The terminal staff aren’t well trained in these kind of issues and the simple phrase of “just check my file, it’s already in there” may get you to the cruise equivalent of “level 2 support” even quicker. 

LOL.  I am allowed to carry a letter for TSA bc I have had both a knee and hip replacement (my right leg lights up), now I am going to carry a letter stating my body temp is 99.6

10 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

LOL.  I am allowed to carry a letter for TSA bc I have had both a knee and hip replacement (my right leg lights up), now I am going to carry a letter stating my body temp is 99.6

Our son keeps a copy of the x-ray showing the titanium rods and pins in his leg from a seventh grade skiing accident.

@HeWhoWaits  I have it down to a science now.  I walk up and say to the TSA person before I enter, my right knee has a metal patella and my hip has been , be prepared I will glow.  They still pull me a side after the 360 scan, but it is only for a 30 secs wand.

My husband laughs because he always goes before me and he sees the big grey blocks on my knee and hip and smiles because he knows what will happen next....here we go, they are going to wand her...great because that gives me enough time to collect my tablet, put on my belt and shoes!  FYI, doesn't matter where we are flying to I wear slip on shoes, no belt/necklaces and my bin is just my purse and phone, heck I am probably the only person that now carries paperback books bc I know what is about to happen....Mam can you step aside please?

Pima1988,  You have it down to a science. My wife follows your lead, carries least amount possible. We also carry copies of medical records with us. lol I think we all need to calm down and see what comes, I am sure when we go back it will be new and crazy for awhile  then hopefully it will calm down and get to a new normal. 

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

As someone who travels all the time nothing pissed my mom off more than when her partial knee replacement (which didn’t alarm) got infected and they had to do a full replacement. 

@Brobbins246 Ha! They may feel that way. I had ovarian cancer, took my right ovary and started perimenopause at 32. I have had the flashes for 3 years now. Since I am so young-ish people always look at me crazy when they happen because I get red. Had one while going through a TSA checkpoint and the TSA tried to assure me I wasn't in any trouble.

I like power surge but in my case I was having nuclear meltdowns!  My hot flashes started when i was 43 and the first year was hell.   They were never ending morning noon & night.  We were on a family cruise the first summer I had the flashes & I couldn't keep sunscreen on because I was flashing so often.    My poor sister was sharing a cabin with me and she had to wear a sweatshirt to bed because I had the AC on as cold as it could get.  My neck, face, ears and arms also turned red when I have a flash.  15 years later and I still get them but only a couple of times a week.