New Alaska entry Requirement

rjac

8 minutes ago, rjac said:

That is completely insane. What kind of BS is that? How the heck do they expect that to work? That to me mean no one can travel there basically. Plane, ship or driving, no one can really comply with that. 

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Will other states now place this requirement on travelers coming from Alaska by air?  Will all states place this requirement on all domestic air travelers?  

What a mess this will become.  You can drive inter-state but not fly or cruise.  Hmmm.  

I just wish I could become the guy who could develop a five minute test. Just imagine, you walk in the door of the terminal, through some Disney-esque people directing gates, and by the time you hit the check in desk it already knows that you are negative, opens the gates and lets you check in. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

That is completely insane. What kind of BS is that? How the heck do they expect that to work? That to me mean no one can travel there basically. Plane, ship or driving, no one can really comply with that. 

They didn’t say you couldn’t travel, just to bypass the quarantine you need to show a negative test.. I’m not sure where you are, but in Maryland you almost seemingly can’t swing a cat without passing a testing center that anyone can get a test at.  I’d gladly go to one today if it means I could cruise tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

They didn’t say you couldn’t travel, just to bypass the quarantine you need to show a negative test.. I’m not sure where you are, but in Maryland you almost seemingly can’t swing a cat without passing a testing center that anyone can get a test at.  I’d gladly go to one today if it means I could cruise tomorrow. 

It's a ridiculous requirement. Everywhere you go you need a test? That is no way to do business. It's totally ridiculous, especially within the same country. If it were for foreign travelers I still wouldn't understand it. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

It's a ridiculous requirement. Everywhere you go you need a test? That is no way to do business. It's totally ridiculous, especially within the same country. If it were for foreign travelers I still wouldn't understand it. 

I think our Canadian friends would beg to differ. They’ve been restricted from inter-province travel for months. And this is the same requirement Hawaii has put in place, also the same as Florida put in place for anyone from the New York area. 
I totally get it with Alaska and Hawaii as they basically are foreign countries, there are already very different rules for what you can bring into Hawaii without violating agriculture laws.

2 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think our Canadian friends would beg to differ. They’ve been restricted from inter-province travel for months. And this is the same requirement Hawaii has put in place, also the same as Florida put in place for anyone from the New York area. 
I totally get it with Alaska and Hawaii as they basically are foreign countries, there are already very different rules for what you can bring into Hawaii without violating agriculture laws.

Ok, well in my opinion it's ridiculous and useless. This is why cruising will not start for God only knows how long, probably not this year at all. 

I wonder how Alaska plans to implement this.  Up to this point you would walk off a plane or ship and you were on your way.  Are they going to set up government agents and a queue like immigration?  Will every airport and cruise port have this?  Do you need to do it in Juneau then the next day in Skagway and then the next day in Icy Strait Point and then the next day in Ketchikan?   

By day 3 of the cruise a 72 hour test is no longer valid because you had it done 2 days before the cruise started so does that mean you can't disembark at any port after day 2?  Day 3 is Skagway but your 72 hour test expired the day before?

"Show me your papers!"  

Seems like the way some countries behind an iron curtain work.   

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I wonder how Alaska plans to implement this.  Up to this point you would walk off a plane or ship and you were on your way.  Are they going to set up government agents and a queue like immigration?  Will every airport and cruise port have this?  Do you need to do it in Juneau then the next day in Skagway and then the next day in Icy Strait Point and then the next day in Ketchikan?   

By day 3 of the cruise a 72 hour test is no longer valid because you had it done 2 days before the cruise started so does that mean you can't disembark at any port after day 2?  Day 3 is Skagway but your 72 hour test expired the day before?

"Show me your papers!"  

Seems like the way some countries behind an iron curtain work.   

I don’t think nearly any of us will ever see this. It’ll be a requirement this year and fall by the wayside next year. 

Dear Alaska, kiss you tourism and travel dollars good-bye and say hello to further unemployment and reliance on government handouts. Your Marine Highway and RyanAir are casualties, already. Keep digging your hole. Everybody else, you are welcome to hunt, fish, and hike in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks! Heck you can even take a river cruise up to St. Louis!

This new requirement looks to be a slight relaxation of current rules to me.

Current rules - mandatory 14 day quarantine upon arrival.

New rules - take a test before arrival and bypass any quarantine; OR take a test upon arrival and quarantine for a couple of days; OR refuse the test and go into mandatory quarantine (same as current rules).

That seems like a positive improvement if you ask me.

4 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Wasn’t everyone being on top of each other the problem in the Ozarks a couple of weeks ago?

The media wanted us to believe that, but the statistics from the last week with concerns about Memorial day weekend as well as the large crowds protesting nationwide have shown the cases falling steadily. Couple that with the newest data from the WHO telling us that Asymptomatic people dont spread the virus and this plan we are commenting on makes even less sense.

10 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

The media wanted us to believe that, but the statistics from the last week with concerns about Memorial day weekend as well as the large crowds protesting nationwide have shown the cases falling steadily. Couple that with the newest data from the WHO telling us that Asymptomatic people dont spread the virus and this plan we are commenting on makes even less sense.

Ok, now I had to look up the last part of this post and my jaw dropped to the ground first and when I picked it up I am now super confused. Through this ENTIRE thing thing the thing that scared me and I think most is asymptomatic spread. No one wants to have it, not know, show no signs and spread to risky people. Indeed WHO is saying asymptomatic people spreading is "rare". Now I don't know how they came to that conclusion, how did they figure this out, what kind of tests did they do to find this out is my questions? 

Also I'm just a dumb blue collar, drive trucks, work with hands and body worker but this tells me cruises certainly can start in August. Yes, the cruise lines have to do all the things they seem to be doing for safety but if this thing about "asymptomatic people not spreading or its rare" this eliminates to me 75% of my fear of this thing. I am suddenly slightly more optimistic about sailing on Oasis in Sept. I believe the CDC also said that spread through touching surfaces is low. 

Am I being overly optimistic to say if the cruise lines/Royal Caribbean has a super, duper rapid test they can administer at the port and you test "negative" cruises can start that way? 

5 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Now I don't know how they came to that conclusion, how did they figure this out, what kind of tests did they do to find this out is my questions? 

As tests proliferate people show positive that are asymptomatic. Those people are then put through contact tracing and their contacts are tested. 

8 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

WHO is saying asymptomatic people spreading is "rare". Now I don't know how they came to that conclusion, how did they figure this out, what kind of tests did they do to find this out is my questions? 

I looked into it as well. The explanation I found is that through thorough contact tracing they found that all of the infections were traced to contact with symptomatic persons. I have seen the term rare used also, but it was described more as not impossible. 

A link from another thread. Thank you @Traveler

And for the best news , WHO expert claiming the asymptomatic C19 patients are not likely to infect others    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html  

Just now, Andrew72681 said:

As tests proliferate people show positive that are asymptomatic. Those people are then put through contact tracing and their contacts are tested. 

Yeah just read the full story and I have to say I'm completely and totally blown away. I mean completely blown away. This is the this that scared me about your from the start. I have to say I felt a thousand pound weight lifted just reading that. 

I realise I may be opening myself up to a whole world of hurt here, not least as I am looking in from across the pond and do my best to follow any form of politics from a safe distance, but whilst this is of course extremely encouraging news, given Mr Trump's opinion of the WHO right now is it likely to have any meaningful impact upon the US approach? 

12 minutes ago, Ian T said:

I realise I may be opening myself up to a whole world of hurt here, not least as I am looking in from across the pond and do my best to follow any form of politics from a safe distance, but whilst this is of course extremely encouraging news, given Mr Trump's opinion of the WHO right now is it likely to have any meaningful impact upon the US approach? 

That is a very good question. Here in the US, the response to this is generally divided along party lines. While he currently has little regard for the WHO, the President and those from his party are all for ending the restrictions and getting back to normal. The opposition party is extending restrictions and adding restrictions. The approach varies State to State depending on which side that State's Governor Aligns. What could prove interesting to watch is how the left and media respond. When the President was against the WHO, they were all for the WHO. Now the WHO is contradicting their narrative, what will be the next claim? Politics at its worst.

30 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

That is a very good question. Here in the US, the response to this is generally divided along party lines. While he currently has little regard for the WHO, the President and those from his party are all for ending the restrictions and getting back to normal. The opposition party is extending restrictions and adding restrictions. The approach varies State to State depending on which side that State's Governor Aligns. What could prove interesting to watch is how the left and media respond. When the President was against the WHO, they were all for the WHO. Now the WHO is contradicting their narrative, what will be the next claim? Politics at its worst.

Thanks! NOW I remember why I stay away from politics unless absolutely necessary - or, as my earlier post demonstrates - when I have skin in the game ? 

Over here the BBC (and others) are also running the story but I have yet to see any comment from the UK Govt - which Secretary of State leads the daily Gov't briefing is usually an indication of the focus for that day; today it is the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, so it will be interesting to see whether the WHO announcement makes the agenda, particularly given the backlash being reported on the 14 day quarantine measures for visitors that came into effect yesterday.

15 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I just wish I could become the guy who could develop a five minute test. Just imagine, you walk in the door of the terminal, through some Disney-esque people directing gates, and by the time you hit the check in desk it already knows that you are negative, opens the gates and lets you check in. 

Actually there are some companies that showed very good results creating a breathalyzer test for C19 with very quick results , some are currently in the second testing phase already.

The WHO released the "rare infection from asymptomatic individuals" statement yesterday. In the US, the early release of the CDC July newsletter includes an extensive article on the evidence for spread of the infection by pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals.

The two major health agencies ("experts") are not aligned on how this spreads, so...

44 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Actually there are some companies that showed very good results creating a breathalyzer test for C19 with very quick results , some are currently in the second testing phase already.

Wonder how that fares come the second day of a cruise where the breathalyzer is picking up the 19 shots of patron. 

How long until you can go online and get a fake COVID-19 test result printed, just like those fake Emotional Support Animal documents for the airlines?  ?

A 3-day old test proves nothing, and protects no one.  Just another piece in the puzzle of this health-theater charade.  This too shall pass.  

You can always find facts to support your position, so you can really only tell your truth, not THE truth. I once mentioned the WHO findings to my neighbor, he is an orthopedic surgeon, and he corrected me in saying WHO is worldwide. So basically the reason WHO often conflicts with the CDC is because their findings are based on a world view. Remember they said mask were only for individuals who deal with positive patients, and advocated against mask in the beginning. This was because second and third world countries had no access, they later said mask aide in curbing infections/spreading. They now say asymptomatic people aren't spreaders, just super-spreaders are. But how do we know how any of this is quantified? Oh and then just like that, they backtrack and clarify statements. It's only been 14 weeks, since this thing became a pandemic, much is still unknown. Alaska has a fragile ecosystem, I can understand the caution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/09/asymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-who/

On 6/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, Andrew72681 said:

Wasn’t everyone being on top of each other the problem in the Ozarks a couple of weeks ago?

Okay, point taken. BUT! those were party goers from STL and KC, at least that what was reported and the positive COVID case was from STL. Swim trunks and bikinis don't lend themselves very well to hiking, fishing, and hunting. . . ticks where the sun don't shine! AND! They weren't hiking, fishing, or hunting (three very good social distancing activities by nature). 

34 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Okay, point taken. BUT! those were party goers from STL and KC, at least that what was reported and the positive COVID case was from STL. Swim trunks and bikinis don't lend themselves very well to hiking, fishing, and hunting. . . ticks where the sun don't shine! AND! They weren't hiking, fishing, or hunting (three very good social distancing activities by nature). 

The bad part is that it looks like those people even if from outside are still causing rising numbers throughout the state. 

I have to chime in now.

@Baked Alaska is correct.

If you aren't aware, my husband was military.  We lived not only in AK for 3 + yrs, but also in KS too.  We would take our camper to the Lake of the Ozarks campground.  I am a Jersey born/raised girl.  Lake of the Ozarks is  not like the Jersey shore.  It is a very condensed area like Lake Mead in NV.  

I do disagree with @Baked Alaska in the fact, that ticks were never an issue for us in AK, in NC/VA and NJ heck yeah!  The big thing in AK is mosquitos.  

NOW on to why I am LMAO this whole idea is insane.  Most cruisers are not flying into AK, they usually do the sailing from Seattle or Vancouver.

Many Alaskans fly to Hawaii for their winter vacation. Are they now saying to AK citizens you need to get tested before you leave to come back home? 

Anchorage and Fairbanks have HUGE military bases. The article states "travelers" flying in.  Well, my family drove from NJ to Seattle, than flew in to Anchorage. My husband was on military orders.  Are they going to give the military an exception?  Are they now going to say to the Dept of Defense that they MUST pay for this test for the entire family or else be quarantined?  FWIW, anyone that has flown in the military understands the acronym MQ (Mission Qual).  The AF cannot afford to pay service members to sit in quarters for 14 days.  They can't say...we will only pay for you the service member to be tested, and you have to pay for your family to be tested using your insurance.  Or how does this really work?  Military pays for him, we, his family are now quarantined for 14 days in the same lodging!  

The fishing industry in AK is big bucks!  The ships typically sail up from Seattle with minimum crew for the crab season starting in Oct.  However, the deck crew will usually fly in.  Watch Deadliest Catch and you will get what I am saying.  

This idea is so insanely stupid and shows how the govt is doing knee jerk reactions.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, Andrew72681 said:

While you're at it, develop a TSA-esque wand scanner that screeners can use to determine who are infected or not.

I am sure there are lots of "official" exceptions. The UK has lots of these. For example if you work in the EU one day a week, you are exempt from the 14 day travel quarantine. Drive a delivery truck, exempt. Essential healthcare, exempt. Military, exempt. I believe some of these new policies are just for show. 

3 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Oops, I meant ticks in the Ozarks. They are bad. Agree with you, never saw them in Alaska! Skeeters, yes. Ticks, no.

My GOD yes!!! Skeeters were HUGE!  We are in an area that has more than enough water around us, and thus have a major issue with skeeters, that being said I have not seen ones as BIG as they have  up in AK! Get a couple of them on you and your are going to have to get a blood infusion!!?

LMAO

Like I said we camped a lot in AK.  May is horrible, come late June/early July it will be fine.  As summer goes along each new cycle of mosquitoes become smaller, thus, May they are the size of a quarter!  May is also what we call the SPIT month.  It doesn't rain, it spits, which creates a great breeding environment for the mosquitoes.

I still remember waking up in the a.m. and seeing blood splatter with dead mosquitos all around our bed (pop up camper).  First thing that went through my mind, was DANG, that's my blood, I killed them after they bit me! The other memory is we camped with a group of friends (basically 5-6 families), my close friend bought a pith helmet style hat with netting and wore it 24 hrs, including sleeping in it!  I am vain, but I preferred having bites on my face over wearing that!

Back on topic now!