All Cruises Cancelled until 1 August

9 minutes ago, Snotarni said:

I guess I've actually been under a rock.  I think they fooled me with the "Updated June 8th 2020" footnote.  Never mind... (he said as he slinked silently back into his comfy chair)  ?

It's all good, don't worry.  I still occasionally write checks using a year from the last century.

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

It's all good, don't worry.  I still occasionally write checks using a year from the last century.

My stunned face is not b/c you write a check using the wrong date, but that you write a check at all !!  I can't tell you the last time I wrote a check....it's probably been 3 years !!

☺️

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My stunned face is not b/c you write a check using the wrong date, but that you write a check at all !!  I can't tell you the last time I wrote a check....it's probably been 3 years !!

☺️

Dumb, huh? I write them for precisely two things. The board for my horse every month, and long-term care insurance on the Mr quarterly - they have zero options for paying online or auto withdrawal.  I could probably arrange Venmo for the board, but the insurance company is hard to deal with.

41 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

☺️

I still have to write checks for a few people every month / quarter / year:

• My landscaper (literal dad and daughter setup here in town, no web site or anything)
  • My annual termite inspection / coverage from the local bug guy (same deal)
  • My plumber, electrician, and just about every GC I've had to work with (including my kitchen remodel just last year)
  • One or two of my kids' doctors who still don't take credit cards, only cash or check (although one of them let me use Apple Pay Cash on my iPhone the last time)
  • My wife's term insurance policy carrier

I'm not really surprised. Supporting credit card payments costs the merchant money, and if these people (excluding insurance) aren't getting a huge / very regular business then they need to save every penny they can.

2 minutes ago, PRebecca said:

Not to be a 'one up-er' but DH still drives to the department stores to make a payment. It nearly kills me each time, he's far too young to be averse to online payments. I want to ask if he needs to bust out the Rand McNally for directions on how to get there.

I'm old enough to ? at that, and young enough to ??‍♂️ at the idea of anyone using one of those these days.

40 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I still have to write checks for a few people every month / quarter / year:

• My landscaper (literal dad and daughter setup here in town, no web site or anything)
  • My annual termite inspection / coverage from the local bug guy (same deal)
  • My plumber, electrician, and just about every GC I've had to work with (including my kitchen remodel just last year)
  • One or two of my kids' doctors who still don't take credit cards, only cash or check (although one of them let me use Apple Pay Cash on my iPhone the last time)
  • My wife's term insurance policy carrier

I'm not really surprised. Supporting credit card payments costs the merchant money, and if these people (excluding insurance) aren't getting a huge / very regular business then they need to save every penny they can.

I have a short list like this as well.  Luckily, my bank's e-payment system will actually mail a check out to any vendor I add to my "Payee" list if they don't accept EFTs.  They even cover the stamp!

1 hour ago, USCG Teacher said:

I have a short list like this as well.  Luckily, my bank's e-payment system will actually mail a check out to any vendor I add to my "Payee" list if they don't accept EFTs.  They even cover the stamp!

You know, my credit union's bill payment system does the same thing but I've never leveraged it. Maybe when I finally run out of printed checks (3 books to go), I'll give that a try. I just remember that takes 5 business days instead of 2, and then I assume there's also time needed for the mail to be delivered, so I'd have to be sure to arrange those payments way in advance of due date (which is something I'm not the best at).

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

One or two of my kids' doctors who still don't take credit cards, only cash or check (although one of them let me use Apple Pay Cash on my iPhone the last time)

Apple Pay and phone mobile payments getting proliferated to places we never thought they would may be one of the top things to come out of this “new normal” it’s so great not to dig in my pockets, get out a card, touch a terminal. Just hit a button twice on my watch, hold it near the terminal, and.. paid. 

2 hours ago, PRebecca said:

Not to be a 'one up-er' but DH still drives to the department stores to make a payment. It nearly kills me each time, he's far too young to be averse to online payments. I want to ask if he needs to bust out the Rand McNally for directions on how to get there.

I got a new Thomas Brothers every year from driving age till maps went out of fashion! San Diego was always getting new streets/neighborhoods added in the late 90's/early 00's and it was so exciting to open a fresh one. ?‍♀️ hahah

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Anyone remember the old AAA flip maps ?  There was a name for them but I cannot recall at the moment.  We used to order those and we were always so excited when they would arrive in the MAIL before a long trip.

Yes I remember those. An early example of turn by turn directions in many ways. If I recall, they would come pre highlighted.

4 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Yes I remember those. An early example of turn by turn directions in many ways. If I recall, they would come pre highlighted.

YES !  They WERE highlighted.  What made them really soooo much fun was that when you flipped the page, your direction of travel wasn't always the same orientation as it was on the previous page.  You had to re-orient yourself every time.  Too funny.

Trip Ticks !  That's what they were called

34 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Trip Ticks !  That's what they were called

Yes! Trip Ticks! I recall that now. I think the last of those I saw was around 1997... crossing over with printing the directions from Mapquest and before Navigation systems were common.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I just remember that takes 5 business days instead of 2, and then I assume there's also time needed for the mail to be delivered, so I'd have to be sure to arrange those payments way in advance of due date (which is something I'm not the best at).

This is correct, although the 5 business includes mail delivery time to US addresses.  That said, you do have a plan a bit further out for it.  The other thing that I'm a fan of is that they deduct it from your account when you process it, so no outstanding checks (I HATE outstanding checks!).  If they do not cash it within 90 days, it is refunded to your account.

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Yes! Trip Ticks! I recall that now. I think the last of those I saw was around 1997... crossing over with printing the directions from Mapquest and before Navigation systems were common.

I remember my grandmother carrying one of those for the trip she took us on from the DC area up to Cooperstown, NY.