Scheduling for Families 2020-21

Prediction:  It will become a challenge for families to schedule over school breaks (Fall Break, TG, Winter, Spring Break 2021) as school districts toy with new schedule models.  The colleges have already announced plans to start early and end the fall semester at Thanksgiving with no fall break.  It is possible Spring Break 2021 is also on the chopping block - the worse part is decisions may be withheld for months. I fully expect my local elementary and high schools to adopt that fall 2020 plan.  The good news is that opens up early December (a great time for values) for a cruise.  

Are other families hearing this, thinking about this, or holding off on school break cruises due to uncertainty.  

I doubt elementary and high schools will do away with the tried and true models. College students are adults, so forgoing breaks and such really don't matter. But it will be a challenge as nothing has been formalized, cruising is not back, schools aren't back and we haven't settled into our new normal. I suspect that with the school year changes, there will be changes with vacation models as well. I primarily travel late Oct to middle of Nov as prices are usually decent. Given the current climate, I see that prices are a bit higher than normal.

@USCG Teacher Is this similar to the all year round schedule? I actually think this works better. I always thought being out almost 3 months for summer is bad form, kids learn better with fewer time lapses. I also would think surge pricing would change to adapt to this model. Especially since cruising isn't the top way "youths" prefer to spring break, it is a more family focus spring break.

Just now, Ampurp85 said:

@USCG Teacher Is this similar to the all year round schedule? I actually think this works better. I always thought being out almost 3 months for summer is bad form, kids learn better with fewer time lapses. I also would think surge pricing would change to adapt to this model. Especially since cruising isn't the top way "youths" prefer to spring break, it is a more family focus spring break.

Yes, it's a version of year-round scheduling.  When implemented, most districts prefer to start Q1 somewhere in mid-August, so summer break still ends up being six weeks (which is still a nice chunk of time!) and starts around the beginning of July.  It helps reduce the summer slide, eases child-care burden on families (again, overgeneralizing, but most districts that implement this offer ESY/camp programs to cover the 15-day breaks with grants available for those in need) and allows families more flexibility to travel and enjoy social time together (remember that?).  It also reduces the time spent starting the school reviewing material and re-establishing classroom norms, so more of the 180 instructional days can focus on curriculum and classroom community.  There's another version or year-round schooling where summer break is even sorter (intersession and summer breaks are all 20 days, Winter break remains 15), but I think this style gives you the best of both worlds, so to speak.  There's still a slightly longer summer break to look forward to and there's a bit more of a sense of closure to the school year.  I get that some (many!) people still prefer their nice long 10 week summer break, and disrupting the status quo is hard, but this just makes so much more sense than the traditional school calendar to me!