Cameras...should I buy a new toy

I do this every trip...always debate if I should buy a new camera and also if a Go Pro is in my future. I have gotten away with using my cell phone as a camera. Place the bad boy on airplane mode and off I go. Anybody else go thru this and what camera do you use?

I have a small Samsung point and shoot camera.....and with some practice, I have found it takes some great pictures.   Moral of the story....never buy a camera that you couldn't "afford" to loose...drop in the drink or have stolen.  My one suggestion that I have learned over my travels is to take a half dozen pop out storage so you don't loose your entire trip if you should lose or damage your camera.   Removable storage is so inexpensive today it is great insurance to have a new "memory card/storage" for each day of your trip.  

• 3 months later...

I'd also suggest picking up a camera that has an optical viewfinder.  My current camera does not, and it's darn hard to see the LCD screen when taking photos in the Caribbean sun.

I made this a point on my last point-and-shoot purchase.  It comes in very handy in the bright sun.

@matt what are the reasons you do not recommend the GoPro? I am going on the Oasis in 3.5 weeks and was looking at getting one before that cruise. When I was on the Freedom in August I looked at them in the Photo Gallery almost everyday debating on getting one. However, the main reason was I do not know much about the GoPro cameras but liked the thought of using it in & out of the water.

@matt what are the reasons you do not recommend the GoPro? I am going on the Oasis in 3.5 weeks and was looking at getting one before that cruise. When I was on the Freedom in August I looked at them in the Photo Gallery almost everyday debating on getting one. However, the main reason was I do not know much about the GoPro cameras but liked the thought of using it in & out of the water.

The GoPro is great, but you cannot see what you are shooting (unless you buy an addon or sync with your phone). I just don't find it very convenient, but you are right that if you want (and remember to bring it) to take video/photos in the pool/ocean, it is great.

I guess what I am saying is I ended up using far, far less than I thought I would.

The GoPro is great, but you cannot see what you are shooting (unless you buy an addon or sync with your phone). I just don't find it very convenient, but you are right that if you want (and remember to bring it) to take video/photos in the pool/ocean, it is great.

I guess what I am saying is I ended up using far, far less than I thought I would.

I have to agree with Matt on this one.  I think you're better off buying a more durable drop-proof/water-proof camera.  If you go the point-and-shoot route, you'll find that they have similar mounts as the GoPros.  They are a bit bigger/heavier, but far more useful.

That was my concern about not being about to see what you shot until the "shot" was over & hope for the best when you get home or back to the ship.. Then just yesterday GoPro just announced the release their new Hero5 black edition $399 coming Oct. 2nd with a screen on the back & the camera is waterproof without using any housings. Would these options make you consider buying one?

That was my concern about not being about to see what you shot until the "shot" was over & hope for the best when you get home or back to the ship.. Then just yesterday GoPro just announced the release their new Hero5 black edition $399 coming Oct. 2nd with a screen on the back & the camera is waterproof without using any housings. Would these options make you consider buying one?

I think it's a personal decision.  Personally, I find myself not using it that much because I either forget to bring it or just don't even consider it until its too late.  But that's just how I operate.

I have a Panasonic Lumix G7 which easily paired with my smartphone... I love the wireless transfer and makes it so I can quickly post photos to any site such as Facebook, here, etc...

The 4k photo feature is fantastic as it allows me to capture action that I would never be able to snap fast enough on my own

I have a Panasonic Lumix G7 which easily paired with my smartphone... I love the wireless transfer and makes it so I can quickly post photos to any site such as Facebook, here, etc...

The 4k photo feature is fantastic as it allows me to capture action that I would never be able to snap fast enough on my own

Looks like a great camera, although I'd hope for ~$800 it would be awesome  :P

There have been a few times I have thought I wish I had a GoPro like mud runs, obstacle course runs, ect.  When we were on the Freedom in August we were on the cruise that got rerouted to Costa Maya & Cozumel and in Cozumel we rented speedboats with a snorkel excursion. On this we rented a GoPro from the "excursion resort" for $30 although not the most exciting snorkeling spot we have been to, but using the GoPro on the boat then jumping in the water without a worry and the videos seemed to come out pretty well (which we couldn't see until we got home, we basically bought the memory card for $30). And this is what got me thinking about purchasing one after the GoPro Hero5 was announced. So I thought maybe for the Oct. Oasis cruise with our kids I could get one.

Then after reading some posts on here I'm afraid I would be in the same boat, I would forget to bring it (or use it) or remembering after its too late most of the time and I don't want to spend $400 + accessories on a "cruise camera" because there is very minimal adventurous things to use a GoPro on in Indiana so that's my conscience. On the other hand this last cruise I didn't take but 2 pictures the whole trip, my wife takes her phone everywhere so she took a lot more photos than I did because I leave my phone in the safe all week.

With all that said I do enjoy reading everyone opinions because it allows to me read other peoples thoughts that I might not have thought of.

I made this a point on my last point-and-shoot purchase.  It comes in very handy in the bright sun.

If you don't mind me asking, which camera did you purchase?  The camera I belly-ached about not having an optical viewfinder is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150, which now after just under 4 years of use has developed an issue with dust on the sensor which leaves dark spots on the images.  My past point-and-shoots have all been Canons so I'm returning to that brand, though I can't find any with optical viewfinders and are pocketable in the <$350 range.

My iPhone just doesn't cut it as a camera for me, so I'm in the market.

If you don't mind me asking, which camera did you purchase? The camera I belly-ached about not having an optical viewfinder is a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150, which now after just under 4 years of use has developed an issue with dust on the sensor which leaves dark spots on the images. My past point-and-shoots have all been Canons so I'm returning to that brand, though I can't find any with optical viewfinders and are pocketable in the <$350 range.

My iPhone just doesn't cut it as a camera for me, so I'm in the market.

I believe it's a Fuji brand. I'm in DC for meeting, but can double-check when I get home next week.

Woo, Kris. You're in my hood ! Enjoy

I had no idea, Raye. I come in for a few days twice a year for meetings, but this is my last after nearly four or five years. Makes the wider and kiddo happy. It's also forcing me took try all those restaurants I never got to and a trip to Ford's Theater for a play after the meetings.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful time.  The weather hasn't been too bad this week....for once.  Starting to cool off, especially in the evenings.  Traffic is horrible no matter when you come...too expensive, too crowded and it's....well....Washington....nothing you can do about that.  But there is more to do and see per square mile than almost anywhere else in the US...especially for free !

I was actually out of town last week - Seattle - on biz.  Glad to be back !

It's a great city. I brought my son and wife with me a couple of years ago when I received a national teaching award. We did all of these highlights, including the White House. And even though it can be an expensive city, I think people forget that most of the sights are free you enter. As a result, it's a much more reasonable trip price wise than other cities like LA and NY.