NEVER EVER NEVER AGAIN

20 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

"Never again" will I take a "future anything credit".  United Airlines had a nice gimmick where I had to cancel my flight before I could request a refund but they couldn't "advise" me about what to do.  That was after I was notified that a segment of my "flight was cancelled or not confirmed".  Then they had the audacity to say I couldn't have a refund because I cancelled.  

Exactly this. (Not to get off topic from Cruise travel vs Flight travel) I had flights booked in April for a trip to Aruba that had 1 layover, American Airlines cancelled from my layover city to Aruba and my return flight from Aruba to my layover city...BUT they kept my originating city I was flying from to my layover city (and vice versa for my return)...I contacted AA because I had been reading the horror stories (like yours above) where the airlines started playing games with people saying "you cancelled, not us, so here is your credit, not refund", and the customer support was atrocious, basically telling me I needed to cancel then use the "request a refund" tool on the website...I was hesitant, but it worked out in my favor without issue.

This game of chicken that the airlines are playing with people is concerning to say the least.

@cstern90 I'm still working on a refund from United Airlines and have disputed the whole thing with the credit card company.  My 1 layover flight turned into 4 layovers with a segment in the middle cancelled.  All I can say is RCCL at least attempts to process the refunds which is much more than United did

35 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

@cstern90 I'm still working on a refund from United Airlines and have disputed the whole thing with the credit card company.  My 1 layover flight turned into 4 layovers with a segment in the middle cancelled.  All I can say is RCCL at least attempts to process the refunds which is much more than United did

Same. Mines too much to type, but I received the future travel credit, but not my points or paid upgrades. Ours was only one horrible layover in both directions with slight change in time, not enough for them to say we could get a refund. However, the destination was Las Vegas for Memorial Day weekend. Fingers cross, I'll dispute it if they refuse to refund paid upgrades, it's over $600 dollars.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:30 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

+1. No more FCCs for us.  Cash only from now on. Just too many restrictions and limitations on using FCCs.

Great reply as it represents my sentiments exactly. At first we took the FCC's because we thought they could be used much the same as cash for existing and future bookings. Much to our dismay, that IS NOT the case. It seems to be like the game of kick the can. Just keep kicking the can down the road.

We end up with smaller FCC's that can't be combined/stacked and have no idea when you will get them. We tried to play the game for a couple months, but have grown weary as it becomes a job just keeping up with all the restrictions.....it ain't no fun anymore.

3 cancelled so far.

4 hours ago, L454S said:

At first we took the FCC's because we thought they could be used much the same as cash for existing and futur.e bookings. Much to our dismay, that IS NOT the case. It seems to be like the game of kick the can. Just keep kicking the can down the road.

Ultimately FCC expire and go "poof"... or that happens to me in my race to use the FCC.  Plus, with a refund, I enjoy spending the money a second time on ANYTHING I want.  Even with the extra 25% with the FCC, it isn't worth all the hassles!

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

Ultimately FCC expire and go "poof"... or that happens to me in my race to use the FCC.  Plus, with a refund, I enjoy spending the money a second time on ANYTHING I want.  Even with the extra 25% with the FCC, it isn't worth all the hassles!

I think as with any economics class, it really depends on the value of the money over time. Us for example took the April cancelled FCC (which didn’t arrive till late May) and applied it to a sailing in November. Between late May and first week of November nowhere else would I be guaranteed to make 25% on my money. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think as with any economics class, it really depends on the value of the money over time. Us for example took the April cancelled FCC (which didn’t arrive till late May) and applied it to a sailing in November. Between late May and first week of November nowhere else would I be guaranteed to make 25% on my money. 

That is the exact same scenario with me except my cancellation was in March and there wasn't the 25% bonus.  We applied the FCC to a November trans Atlantic cruise from Spain to Miami.  I'm very happy about using the FCC except my wife thinks it wouldn't be wise to do the cruise.  My only defense for her concern is mostly about making sure we use the FCC.