Luggage to airport

I read on cc that mid week of the cruise we will get something asking if we want our luggage taken to airport directly.  I understand they take it to where it needs to go and you check-in at port for your flight?   Any experience with this?  Good or bad?   

I haven't used it personally, but can see where it may be very convenient.  I don't recall where you leave/bring your bags for this service but I'm sure someone can chime in.  I do recall that you aren't charged overweight baggage fees by airlines if you use this, so the costs is potentially negated depending on how you pack.  RCCL has very minimal info below.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

It sounds like you are referring to Luggage Valet.

This is a service offered by RCI. It is offered in a limited number of ports and with specific airlines. As long as you have a good port-airline combo you're good.

I highly recommend this service ($20 PP plus any luggage fees from the airline). You put your luggage outside your stateroom, like normal, and the ship gets it to the airport and onto the airplane for you. You will not touch your luggage again until you get to your final airport destination. You will get your boarding passes and luggage receipts in your stateroom on the last day.

I would not wait until midway through the cruise. I always go to GS and make my luggage valet arrangements as soon as I get on the ship. There is a deadline for signing up....usually a few dad before disembark.

I have used this service many times and never had ANY problem.

I used Luggage Valet twice and is well worth the $20. I wish they would open it to more ports. I use American so that isn't a problem. These are the ports that Luggage Valet is available in:

• Fort Lauderdale
  • Port Canaveral
  • Miami
  • Seattle
  • Seward

The cruise line gets your boarding pass, your luggage tags, you don't have to worry about it. I was nervous the first time thinking I would never see my luggage again, but when I hit DFW International it was on the baggage carousel.

Candie

I read on cc that mid week of the cruise we will get something asking if we want our luggage taken to airport directly.  I understand they take it to where it needs to go and you check-in at port for your flight?   Any experience with this?  Good or bad?    

I have used it twice with no issues and there is no over the weight limit fees.

• 9 months later...

is this only for check in luggage?  Can you use it for carryon

It's for checked luggage only.  If you want to check your carry-ons, you can, but I wouldn't advise it.  Essentially, you're paying for the provider of the service to check you in for your flight, collect your luggage, tag it, and transfer it to the plane from the ship.  Think of it as a fancy porter service.

We used it on the Allure last year for the first time. We were spoiled by a couple of Disney cruises we took before that and it was complimentary for everyone. On the Allure it was $25 for each piece. It was very convenient but not sure if we will do it again on the Harmony this year. We signed up mid week, got our boarding passes delivered to our stateroom the day before departure and they give you different tags to put on your checked luggage. You just put it out like you normally do and they do the rest for you.

On the Allure when they gave us the sheet to fill out there was a section on it that asked how many bags you were checking in. Then the airline's baggage fee and Royal's service charge showed up on our seapass account. Not sure what happens if you have already prepaid it with the airline. When you sign up for luggage valet, they are checking in for you with the airline. Hope that helps :)

On the Allure when they gave us the sheet to fill out there was a section on it that asked how many bags you were checking in. Then the airline's baggage fee and Royal's service charge showed up on our seapass account. Not sure what happens if you have already prepaid it with the airline. When you sign up for luggage valet, they are checking in for you with the airline. Hope that helps :)

Yes, it does help. Thank you!

• 6 years later...
7 hours ago, Jayleen said:

This discussion was back in 2017. Just wondering if RCCL still offers luggage valet on Allure out of Galveston, TX? Has anyone used this service recently, if so, what was the cost? 

I used to use it also.  But have not seen it offered in past couple years.  I wish it was available.  I loved it.