Crazy Flight Prices!

Hello all,

We hopefully will be cruising November 8 aboard the Oasis. I'm looking at prices from Wash, D.C. to Ft. Lauderdale and can't believe the prices I am seeing! Southwest for 2 is close to $950 for 2!!! Jet Blue is a little better at $860??? I usually on fly Delta, but their prices are way high and their flights really don't work for us. Any recommendations out there? I've been pricing round trip, one way with different airlines coming and going, whatever I can think of. Just crazy how pricey flights are!

21 minutes ago, rjac said:

Can you take time off from work and drive? :27_sunglasses:

Unfortunately, no. Also, That's one heck of a drive! I've done D.C. to Daytona before and that's about 16 hours???. FLL is probably another 5 hours! No thanks!!! ??

2 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

We hopefully will be cruising November 8 aboard the Oasis. I'm looking at prices from Wash, D.C. to Ft. Lauderdale and can't believe the prices I am seeing! Southwest for 2 is close to $950 for 2!!! Jet Blue is a little better at $860??? I usually on fly Delta, but their prices are way high and their flights really don't work for us. Any recommendations out there? I've been pricing round trip, one way with different airlines coming and going, whatever I can think of. Just crazy how pricey flights are!

Time for you to head up to BWI and hop on Southwest. Round trip nonstop was 293. And no checked baggage fees. 

3BDE1DFB-B63A-43C7-82A6-CEC4F8046156.jpeg

I found my situation for a long weekend cruise out of Miami to be a little puzzling on the airline front.  STL to Miami (nonstop there, 1 stop at ORD back) on AA was $490 total for 2 people (yes this is the basic/most economical ticket which has it's downfalls but we know what we are buying).  Southwest STL to FLL (both nonstop) was $700 total for 2 people and then I'd have to transfer over to Miami.  I fully expected to need to travel to FLL but to my surprise, the Miami route it is!

I can only imagine what flights are going to cost.  They have lost so much money over these months (like many companies) and if they have to keep social distancing rules, then they can only sell some of their seats. 

First step for us....Canadian/US borders to open up.  Then we will worry about flights.  

15 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

if they have to keep social distancing rules, then they can only sell some of their seats. 

It seems to me that SOME of the airlines did a bit of hocus pocus with this "promise" (not selling the middle seat).  As far as I can tell, the "big" airlines are selling middle seats without any regard for their "plan" to keep the middle seat open.  On one of the flights that I recently booked (American), every single seat on the entire plane was showing "sold".  I can't recall which flight it was, at the moment, but I was shocked that the flight was completely sold out.  We booked two of the last First Class seats remaining.

I booked an August 22nd, 2020 Symphony sailing  because I could get "Cruise with Confidence" if I decided to cancel.

But wow!!!  How cheap!!! ( $88.20 non-stop round trip Knoxville to Miami!!!  And, American would offer a future credit if I cancelled.)

So, if anyone wants to try a cruise in August, then they might be in for a pleasant surprise when booking air.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'd be tempted to book it at these prices, because I think prices will only go up since the airlines cut so many flights.

And the beauty of Southwest is that if it ever goes down just like with a cruise you can reprice it, and  in most circumstances it can be done online. 

1 hour ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Southwest has over 140 of its planes parked right now, so supply is going to be limited. With a November sailing, things might be priced better by August. I would wait if it were me.

If you ever want a bleak look at the future of the air industry just check our places like Tulsa or Goodyear. The big 3 have parked huge fleets with some never coming back. Delta has already retired all of their 777’s, MD88 and MD90s. 

That is high. We have also found that Dallas based Southwest is now more expensive than American when we fly from DFW to Florida. No longer the "Low cost leader" for us. In late April I was able to book $49 roundtrip on AA to Orlando and $95 roundtrip to Miami. 

40 minutes ago, Wilson said:

That is high. We have also found that Dallas based Southwest is now more expensive than American when we fly from DFW to Florida. No longer the "Low cost leader" for us. In late April I was able to book $49 roundtrip on AA to Orlando and $95 roundtrip to Miami. 

There’s something so refreshing about being able to arrive nearly last minute for a flight at DAL instead of trudging through DFW. I almost always fly into DAL when I come into town. 

19 hours ago, CJS2766 said:

Hello all,

If you don't mind driving to Richmond you can catch Spirit direct to FLL on 11/7, return 11/16 (their Sun 11/15 flight leaves just a bit too early).  I'm seeing +/- $250 R/T including a carry on and a checked bag.  

Well, I was supposed to cruise RC Easter week back in April and my air prices were sky high like that, almost $1000.00 a person, for a simple Philly to Florida RT flight.

I ended up booking in and out of different cities on different airlines, but it was still quite costly.  Thank goodness the cruise was cancelled and I received a full refund on the air (Still waiting for my RC refund).

I have done Amtrak down to Florida and the only good part was the dining room--which may no longer exist.  Lots of screaming children for hours on end, and the bathrooms get messy.

Before booking your air, ask the cruise line what it can offer you.

Maybe you should book something fully refundable and then wait to see if traffic increases and prices go down.

Have a question for you all! I am trying to figure my return flight home after the cruise. I have a couple of options? Flight departing a little after 12:05 p.m. or a 2:30 departure. I'd like to book a 12:00 departure, but is that to early? I can be off the ship the second they allow as I always take my own luggage off the ship. What would you all recommend?

2 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Have a question for you all! I am trying to figure my return flight home after the cruise. I have a couple of options? Flight departing a little after 12:05 p.m. or a 2:30 departure. I'd like to book a 12:00 departure, but is that to early? I can be off the ship the second they allow as I always take my own luggage off the ship. What would you all recommend?

Assuming disembarkation is not markedly prolonged.....noon would definitely be ok for a MIA departure and most likely fine even for a FLL departure.  The problem is, of course, that we have no idea what the disembarkation process is going to look like now.  I still think you'll be ok....but all things being equal, I would probably go with the 2:30 just to be on the safe side.  If you do that, then you can do a leisurely disembarkation (if there is such a thing by then) and have plenty of time to get to the airport.

3 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Especially if you are going out of FLL you’ll have plenty of time to get on the 12:00 departure. It’s only a couple of minutes. Even with Miami you should be good around noon if you are doing self assist and taking the luggage off. 
Last year my daughter and I did it in reverse (getting off at Miami and going up to FLL) and were in the airport and through security by 8:30. 
If you are concerned about airport security consider signing up for the free trial of CLEAR as both MIA and FLL have it. 

I arrive and depart from Ft Lauderdale. Given that the airport is close by, I'd like to go with a 12:00 pm departure, but like many have said, that "X" factor is, who long will debarkation take??? Even with me doing my own luggage carry off. Since it's a Sunday return, sure would like to arrive home around 2:00 vs 6:00 or so!