Book excursions for late August cruise or continue to wait?

olie5

We are booked on our first cruise leaving New Orleans on Majesty of the Seas August 29th.  I hadn't bought any excursions yet and was getting ready to when this whole COVID thing started.  (I wanted all the options to be available before I picked).  Our cruise has not been cancelled yet and we are hoping it will stay that way.  I just made the final payment and was thinking about booking some excursions.  However, I haven't seen any cruise planner sales that I recall in months.  Should I wait for a sale?  Should I wait period until cruises start up again?

Please help.  I'm new and am worried.  Things are very tight but it is our 5th anniversary and I want it to be as special as I can make it.

I would not recommend waiting for a sale.  If there is something there that you'd like to do, go ahead and book.  You can always cancel and rebook if the price goes lower but at least this will secure a place for you.  You can also cancel if you change your mind.  There is a catch in that you must pay when you book so you will lose out of that money between the time you book and the time you cancel (if you cancel it).  I also believe it takes a few business days to get the refund back on your card.  I think it's rare for there to be a time "where all the options are available" at once.  I would imagine options can often be added, particularly if you are far our from the sailing or they secure new excursions.  Additionally, some may already be sold out, which would be why you won't see them in your cruise planner.

I am now over a month out now waiting on CP refunds at a tad over $3k. I've decided not to purchase ANYTHING on the CP until a sale hits for my excursions and other cp items. I'm not playing the cancel rebook game from here on (or at least for a couple of YEARS). I've got two of the same excursions charged on my credit card based on a cancel and rebook, but no refund to offset. Basically, I've been charged twice for the same items. They are very quick to record your purchase to your credit card, but it takes so long to get it back. We should expect the same.

It might be different now with covid changing everything, but once we hit final payment for our Harmony cruise last September, our available shore excursions never really went on sale again. There might have been a couple that were advertised as "20% off" but the majority were 10% off if they were on sale at all. Just our experience.

55 minutes ago, KJones said:

It might be different now with covid changing everything, but once we hit final payment for our Harmony cruise last September, our available shore excursions never really went on sale again. There might have been a couple that were advertised as "20% off" but the majority were 10% off if they were on sale at all. Just our experience.

From looking at the cruise planner prices, I have always found the % off to be a suspect number.  I just go off of gross dollars....