Alaska/Canada/New England 2020 cruises officially canceled.

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm kicking myself for buying my plane tickets a few weeks ago. I knew better. I'm probably out $700.  

You think you will lose your airfare ?  Won't the airline just let you move your money to a different itin or give you a credit ?  I'm going to have AA move my money from the October Brilliance cruise to the March Allure cruise.  I've already done this once....with the airfare from our cancelled Majesty cruise (May) to our December Oasis B2B.  I did have to pay a bit more for the fare difference but there weren't any change fees.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

You think you will lose your airfare ?  Won't the airline just let you move your money to a different itin or give you a credit ?  I'm going to have AA move my money from the October Brilliance cruise to the March Allure cruise.  I've already done this once....with the airfare from our cancelled Majesty cruise (May) to our December Oasis B2B.  I did have to pay a bit more for the fare difference but there weren't any change fees.

I have credit with them, yes.  Unfortunately, it's JetBlue.  Anywhere I go from Minnesota I have to go through Boston.  We always fly direct because Mr SpeedNoodles is very afraid of flying.  Having to fly 3 1/2 hours and change planes for another flight may be worse than losing the money.  Or maybe we'll just do a trip to Boston for the hell of it.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I have credit with them, yes.  Unfortunately, it's JetBlue. 

I bought a flight on JetBlue for Thanksgiving, but I believe there's a temporary policy where they will waive cancellation fees.

From their site

We're waiving change/cancel fees for customers with existing bookings made before June 30. If you choose to rebook, you can do so on any flight through the end of our schedule. Fare difference may apply. 

Upon the news that we have credit with JetBlue to Boston, Mr SpeedNoodles thought a short trip to Boston might be fun, so it'll all work out.  I'll just miss meeting you all.  Honestly, in all likelihood we would have had to cancel on our own.  We have to put a new roof on the house in July and one of my dogs is currently in the doggy ER - estimated bill $2.5k-9k, so ....

19 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We have to put a new roof on the house in July and one of my dogs is currently in the doggy ER - estimated bill $2.5k-9k, so ....

Man, talk about "When it rains, it pours"! Hope your pupper feels better soon, and that the roof doesn't start leaking between now and July!

14 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Man, talk about "When it rains, it pours"! Hope your pupper feels better soon, and that the roof doesn't start leaking between now and July!

Yeah, it's been an awful few months.  Between the Coronas, the riots this week, the sick hound, the room, one of my other pets died last night and knowing there are no cruises in the nearish future I'm pretty raw.  I do like having this group, though.

35 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yeah, it's been an awful few months.  Between the Coronas, the riots this week, the sick hound, the room, one of my other pets died last night and knowing there are no cruises in the nearish future I'm pretty raw.  I do like having this group, though.

So sorry to hear that you’re having such a rough time... especially with your furbabies. Losing one is hard enough, but fighting not to lose another at the same time is even worse... hope your pupper pulls through.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We LOVE Halibut!

I first discovered Halibut back in 87 when I was stationed in Alaska...it has been my favorite fish since then. That state ruined me...king crab legs, halibut, fresh smoked salmon, moose burgers, ground and mixed with 80% beef, needs the fat as moose lack that. I could go one as there is a lot of great outdoors food up there.  ?

I just called American Airlines to move our Boston flights [cancelled GC] over to our Allure March 2021 cruise.  The rep told me that the "no cancellation fees" rule only covered itin changes up through Feb 6, 2021 but she went ahead and waived the fees for us anyway, so I was very grateful.  Not sure what other airlines are doing but I'm glad I was able to move this one without any extra charges.  Of course, the airfare itself was $600 more but at least we didn't have to pay the $400 change fees !!  If we have any  more cancellations I am going to have problems as all of my other cruises are well into 2021.  Not sure how long they will waive those fees...

19 hours ago, WanderPam said:

We will also probably be losing out on our airfare since we won't be able to use our credit ? 

If by any chance your credit is with Air Canada, as of June 1st they are retroactively loosening the credit rules (it covers already cancelled flights, as well as flights still not cancelled yet.)

No expiry, transferable, and can carry a balance forward.

However, you need to go online on their website and transfer your credit into a Travel Voucher. You will be issued a voucher code by e-mail, so guard it well.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:43 PM, GrandmaAirplane said:

If by any chance your credit is with Air Canada, as of June 1st they are retroactively loosening the credit rules (it covers already cancelled flights, as well as flights still not cancelled yet.)

Thanks for the info! Really wish we had chosen Air Canada since we have international flights to book for next year. But we had a Swoop flight and they don't fly anywhere we plan to go until at least summer 2022  ?

Here's been our experience with the sudden round of cancellations.

My wife and I were booked on the 18 October 2020 cruise to Canada out of Boston.  As soon as the cancellations were promulgated, our TA called my wife to notify us.  My wife then called me at work.  She wasn't able to pass on many of the details---I'm the one who handles the logistics for our cruises---but I got the gist:  the 2020 cruise was off.  My biggest concern at that moment:  I had done a great deal of research and had booked that cruise almost two years ahead of the sailing date; I got a hell of a good fare and the precise suite I wanted on board Brilliance of the Seas; and I didn't want to have to pay more than that original fare, nor lose that particular suite, should we reschedule the cruise.

That latter concerned me more because I knew every other person whose Canadian cruise had been canx would be looking to rebook.

Fortunately, we have a head's-up TA.  As soon as she got the word that our 2020 cruise was canx, she booked us on a 2021 cruise, same destination, same itinerary, same suite, in the same week in October, 2021.  The TA and I had several phone calls and e-mails over the next couple of days.  There have been some "teething pains" as Royal Caribbean has scrambled to adjust to this recent spate of cancellations, but here's what fell out for us:

The original fare I paid has been preserved, under Royal Caribbean's "lift and shift" plan.  All of the purchases for the 2020 cruise (excursions, shipboard events, beverage package) we made through the cruise planner are being refunded.

As for our air tickets to Boston, I had purchased those myself---it was cheaper than going through the cruiseline:  two first-class tickets from Charlotte to Boston and back, on American Airlines.  I just finished talking to a rep at AA about the situation, and here's what happens there.  They've cancelled our current air reservations and supplied us with a voucher for the amount we paid.  At the end of November/start of December of this year, their October, 2021 flight schedules will be published.  As long as I make new reservations before the end of March, 2021, the voucher will be applied to the new reservations.  The AA rep candidly told me that we might have to pay for any increase in fare, but if the fare drops, then we will be refunded any amount left on the voucher.  I figure that's about as good a deal as we're going to get.

Obviously, the Good Mrs. Benson and I aren't crazy about adding another twelve months to the wait---a lot can happen in a year---but it appears that we've landed about as well as could be expected, given the situation.