Motion Sickness Wrist Bands

Personally, I think they largely work on the placebo effect.  My wife has used them and claims to have had some relief, but I really do believe, personally, that it is psychological rather than physiological.  In reality, pure ginger candies would be a more effective homeopathic treatment for motion sickness.

Update:  I just skimmed a few academic journal articles that did not find them effective for motion sickness.  However, to be honest, they were trying them out in G-Force simulators rather than on ships and boats.  One did find that they delayed nausea, but that was for chemotherapy patients.  I guess like anything, your results may vary.

If it's any consolation, my wife is prone to motion sickness and has only been sick on two cruises out of 23 and we've hit very rough seas at times.  Her saving grace has always been a midship cabin where she finds relief from excess movement of the ship.  I have only experienced it once, by it was exacerbated by being stung by an insect (I'm highly allergic) and then playing a motion-based game on my iPad while in bed onboard the ship while we had some moderate seas.  That was enough to send my inner ear into a frenzy that lasted for a couple of weeks.

So little movement on a cruise ship that I believe these items to really be a waste of time. If you are hyper sensitive to  motion sickness book a inside cabin middle of the ship on the lowest passenger deck you can. More movement on the average bus ride than on modern cruise ships. Yes less than 1% of the time in storms or bad weather the ship moves a lot, but no way around this. The only way to protect from this 1% of the time problem is stay home.

So little movement on a cruise ship that I believe these items to really be a waste of time. If you are hyper sensitive to  motion sickness book a inside cabin middle of the ship on the lowest passenger deck you can. More movement on the average bus ride than on modern cruise ships. Yes less than 1% of the time in storms or bad weather the ship moves a lot, but no way around this. The only way to protect from this 1% of the time problem is stay home.

While I agree with you regarding movement, I would actually recommend an outside cabin.  While physics does support your suggestion regarding movement, it does not address the physiological and psychological ramifications of motion sickness which occurs, in part, due to a disconnect between our vestibular sense and visual sense.  In essence, our eyes see everything as stationary, yet our inner ears register movement.  Thus, having a window or a balcony and being able to see the horizon will often relieve motion sickness symptoms.

While I agree with you regarding movement, I would actually recommend an outside cabin.  While physics does support your suggestion regarding movement, it does not address the physiological and psychological ramifications of motion sickness which occurs, in part, due to a disconnect between our vestibular sense and visual sense.  In essence, our eyes see everything as stationary, yet our inner ears register movement.  Thus, having a window or a balcony and being able to see the horizon will often relieve motion sickness symptoms.

Which is true if you can fix upon a point that is not moving. But in the open ocean that is really hard. People look at the waves and water close to the ship which makes motion sickness worse.

Which is true if you can fix upon a point that is not moving. But in the open ocean that is really hard. People look at the waves and water close to the ship which makes motion sickness worse.

Horizon works for most people, but you are correct that this could be a problem when far from land or at night.

My wife has suffered with motion sickness since she was a little girl (throwing up on trains, riding in a car, etc.) A friend told her about these wristbands a while back and she swears by them. Whether it's a placebo or not, it works for her and she has no trouble cruising. I do agree about being as close to midship as possible and with the bands she has no problem with the horizon while at sea.

My wife has suffered with motion sickness since she was a little girl (throwing up on trains, riding in a car, etc.) A friend told her about these wristbands a while back and she swears by them. Whether it's a placebo or not, it works for her and she has no trouble cruising. I do agree about being as close to midship as possible and with the bands she has no problem with the horizon while at sea.

As they say, what ever floats your boat.. As long as you can keep cruising is all that matters.

After an enlistment in the Navy and some of the storms we went through I don't have an issue with motion sickness..