AMEX Platinum Cruise Privileges Program

Does anyone have experience with the AMEX Platinum Cruise Privileges Program?

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/benefits/the-platinum-card/cruise-privileges-and-discounts.html

In the last 2 weeks I have booked 4 cruises direct through Royal Caribbean and just realized that I could be missing out on some significant OBC through the AMEX program.  I know you can generally transfer new bookings to a TA within 60 day...but has anyone had experience getting these benefits this way?

2 hours ago, ryman1980 said:

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/benefits/the-platinum-card/cruise-privileges-and-discounts.html

In the last 2 weeks I have booked 4 cruises direct through Royal Caribbean and just realized that I could be missing out on some significant OBC through the AMEX program.  I know you can generally transfer new bookings to a TA within 60 day...but has anyone had experience getting these benefits this way?

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Delta Platinum AMEX card I have????

@ryman1980

17 hours ago, ryman1980 said:

It can't hurt to call and ask.  But keep in mind, it can't be combined with the C&A balcony discount.  Also, you have to pay both the deposit and the final payment with an american express card.  If you already paid the deposit with a different card, you are probably out of luck.

I used the Amex Platinum to book our last cruise.  Pretty sweet gig.  $300 OBC (depends on stateroom), priority boarding, soda package for the kids and bottle of champagne.

The price for the cruise is in line with what royal carribean list/sales prices are.

Off topic:  Amex Platinum is my favorite credit card.  The $550 fee seems excessive but I have been able to recoup it in benefits or offers every year.  It is a card designed for travelers however so if you don't hit the airport much it isn't' worth it.  The interesting thing they did was since travel is virtually shut down right now they shifted the benefit to pay $20 a month for your cell phone bill and $20 a month for any streaming service (youtube tv here) through the end of the year.  That is $320 savings since they announced it.  Add on the $100 at saks fifth,  the $100 fee for global entry and all the other benefits it covers it no problem.

29 minutes ago, Bean79 said:

Wow a $550 annual fee would almost pay for a 3-day cruise in full. Why have a card that charges so much of a fee?

Not to get off topic, but there are a ton of benefits that come with the card where you can potentially recoup that money in other ways.

38 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not to get off topic, but there are a ton of benefits that come with the card where you can potentially recoup that money in other ways.

I've got the Amex Delta Reserve card and it has a nice free first class companion ticked every year (Lower 48, unless your home is listed as qualifying AK, HI) along with lounge access that I use all the time. Not to mention the 15K mqm points for 30K spending on the card boost your mqm's for higher status and more miles.

2 hours ago, Bean79 said:

Wow a $550 annual fee would almost pay for a 3-day cruise in full. Why have a card that charges so much of a fee?

You don’t get the card for a cruise discount. I keep the business version which is 595$ a year because it comes with

An annual Delta Sky Club Membership which by itself is 549. 
A priority pass membership which is 99

Centurion Lounge Access which I value at 100$ annually 

200$ in Dell business credits

200$ airline fee credit

free global entry every five years (95$)

great trip delay and cancellation coverage

Access to their fine hotels benefits (for example in New Orleans the Waldorf Astoria was 179 a night and came with free breakfast, a suite upgrade, and 100 property credit per night  

and more  

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Big time. With the benefits I listed above, I make money off the card, especially making numerous large purchases a year and they offer 50% more points on purchases over 5k. 

Just now, Bean79 said:

I did not realize they offered all of that. I guess it would be worth it if you used the perks and paid the car off in full every month.

Yes, while it’s not for everyone, with the right spending and travel it can be worth every penny. 

We have had the platinum.  For military members AMEX waives the fee.  You pay it, and than prove your military.  The next month they credit the fee back to your account.

If you are diligent and remember that it has to be paid in full every month, it is amazing.  We have used it to pay almost everything....cell phone, cable, utilities,  gas, food, even paid for the deposit for our car.  We had sold the car and had the cash in our checking account.  Put 10K on the card.  Got home and transferred immediately the money.  If you have college age kids we also were able to pay their monthly tuition bill using the card instead of having it pulled from our checking account.  We even put our deck of one of our homes on the card, than transferred from our home equity line the amount to pay it off.  You'd be amazed how much you can tally in a yr. if you use it like your ATM.

For us the only way it works is we immediately deducted whatever we purchased in our check register, the balance of the bank account in our mind was always lower than if you looked at the atm receipt.  Thus, not only were we getting points with AME, but our checking account is still making interest (minimal, but a buck is a buck).  

5 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

We have had the platinum.  For military members AMEX waives the fee.  You pay it, and than prove your military.  The next month they credit the fee back to your account.

If you are diligent and remember that it has to be paid in full every month, it is amazing.  We have used it to pay almost everything....cell phone, cable, utilities,  gas, food, even paid for the deposit for our car.  We had sold the car and had the cash in our checking account.  Put 10K on the card.  Got home and transferred immediately the money.  If you have college age kids we also were able to pay their monthly tuition bill using the card instead of having it pulled from our checking account.  We even put our deck of one of our homes on the card, than transferred from our home equity line the amount to pay it off.  You'd be amazed how much you can tally in a yr. if you use it like your ATM.

For us the only way it works is we immediately deducted whatever we purchased in our check register, the balance of the bank account in our mind was always lower than if you looked at the atm receipt.  Thus, not only were we getting points with AME, but our checking account is still making interest (minimal, but a buck is a buck).  

That’s the biggest key. Pretend it’s a debit card, which I haven’t used in years as the protections are so poor.  I’ll often make multiple payments a week on my Amex’s to keep the balances at 0

Just popping in to add one additional tip.

If you have both a personal AMEX Platinum and an AMEX corporate card for work, call AMEX and tell them you'd like to join their "Corporate Advantage" program.  You'll still pay the $550 annual fee on your personal card, but within 60 days they'll credit $150 back to you, knocking it down to $400 a year.