NCL has announced its new procedures and protocols.

This gives me so much hope for Royal's own plans.  Nothing is outlandish.  No masks (thank you, thank you, thank you). 

The lower seating at events could make being in a Suite or having The Key more valuable for going to shows.....I am hoping for more shows if they have less seating, but this is a small issue.  I was expecting so much worse.  This overall pleases me.

1 minute ago, Va4fam said:

I think this is a very encouraging response that NCL has created.

I do wonder if the masks will be added at a later date if mandated by CDC/WHO.

I hope not.  Disney World is going to do masks.  In Florida's humid heat.  In the middle of summer.  That is a health concern from too much heat and not enough oxygen.  I do not want mask in the Caribbean unless it is part of a pirate show on a Disney cruise.

So all of this sounds good on paper but I wonder what happens at practice. Staggering embar/disembark is going to affect the ship leaving as people literally show up whenever. Temps taken multiple times means less leniency for shows and schedules. How about sections for shows, will they add more?

1 minute ago, Ampurp85 said:

So all of this sounds good on paper but I wonder what happens at practice. Staggering embar/disembark is going to affect the ship leaving as people literally show up whenever. Temps taken multiple times means less leniency for shows and schedules. How about sections for shows, will they add more?

I think there will be enforced boarding times.  I think this makes sense to control the flow better.  It just needs to be communicated well so there are not misunderstandings.  The shows concern me, but I am there for pools, beaches, and the MDR mostly.  If there were less shows for a time or harder to get into ones, I am okay with that.  I just want a vacation so bad.

As a disclaimer, this is my first Royal Caribbean cruise; and I am on a smaller ship September 2020 (Enchantment of the Seas out of Galveston).  We picked it less for the fancy shows and doodads and more for relaxing and the Bahams itinerary (stopping at Perfect Day at Coco Cay).  So, it is easy for me to say I can give up some shows and activities when I am not on a grand dame like Harmony of the Seas.

24 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

I think this is a very encouraging response that NCL has created.

I do wonder if the masks will be added at a later date if mandated by CDC/WHO.

A couple of thoughts:

The WHO already issued a statement last week that healthly people don't need masks

And I'm not sure to what extent the CDC has a say regarding onboard protocols. Although I suspect that they have already been consulted if NCL has published these guidelines 

That's cool to read and starting getting an idea of what to expect!

A couple things that caught my attention- 1. full service buffet. And 2. no mention about changes to their muster drill (unless I missed it?).

I'm wondering how they are going to handle the social distancing during the one time we truly are packed in like sardines- the muster drill! I can't wait for RCCL to post about their protocols. I imagine that the cruise lines probably are keeping similar protocols to each other, for the most part anyway.

#StillGoing

3 minutes ago, YOLO said:

I also worry about the "reduced guest capacity onboard" terminology.  How can this not translate to less fun?

Shorter lines to things like water slides, more seating available in shows, fewer people lining up for drinks at bars = more fun for me.  

When I have sailed during hurricanes altered sailings with fewer guests on board it was quite nice.  Even the Allure TA to Spain was down about 1,500 guests and that is distinctly noticeable on Oasis class.  

I am encouraged from what I read in this article and the one Matt posted on the blog.  I pulled a quote from Matt's article that has me thinking this could mean masks without being upfront about it. "NCL will take necessary precautions and follow applicable public health guidelines to ensure guest health and safety, which is our highest priority at all times." I am hoping I am just reading too much into it.  I really do not want to be forced to wear a mask anywhere. 

The reduced access to public areas need to be clarified for me.  I am wondering how they are going to handle it.  Will there be people counting who is going in and out of the pool deck?  Each bar?  Just a couple of points I am wondering about.  I guess we will know in time.

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

Shorter lines to things like water slides, more seating available in shows, fewer people lining up for drinks at bars = more fun for me.  

When I have sailed during hurricanes altered sailings with fewer guests on board it was quite nice.  Even the Allure TA to Spain was down about 1,500 guests and that is distinctly noticeable on Oasis class.  

Sure if you get to be one of the people in those lines?  But they didn't exactly say they were reducing on-board room capacity.  So will I be forced to sit around in my room while you get to have fun?  AND, if indeed they do reduce room capacity, who gets cut from already booked cruises?  Lastly, of course in this case the price will be going up.  In fact, in almost all post covid scenarios, prices will be going up.

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Sure if get to be one of the people in those lines?  But they didn't exactly say they were reducing on-board room capacity.  So will I be forced to sit around in my room while you get to have fun?  AND, if indeed they do reduce room capacity, who gets cut from already booked cruises?  Lastly, of course in this case the price will be going up.  In fact, in almost all post covid scenarios, prices will be going up.

People have been cancelling.  Look at a hurricane, many people bail out when a storm threatens, many more are "jumping ship" due to COVID-19.  I think the attrition will occur naturally.

They won't increase rates for those already booked, beyond that pricing will always be market driven.  Looking forward beyond the initial return to cruising they can only charge what the market will bear.  If they raise prices people already reluctant to book won't book.  If there was ever a time that prices would have gone up it was over the past several years when it was booming and prices have trended up over the past several years.  Supply and demand will continue to drive the market.  Lower demand and it's virtually impossible to increase prices, else the ships will really be empty.

@twangster Check out this quote from the article: "All onboard activities will still be available, but operated at a reduced capacity".  That sounds to me like a new NCL policy which may turn some cruisers away.  Sure we can argue about how many people are on a fictitious ship, but regardless the policy is changing and will affect cruisers.

Hmmm so the reduced capacity could mean scheduled times. Maybe we all need to schedule a time to attend, first come first serve. I could see for the time being them implementing a wait list...I can see that until at least the end of 2021 cruising being in less demand. Maybe they add in a few extra shows...or mask come into play. There are still a ton of variables and questions to consider but this is a great start.

I’ll be interested in seeing how the continuous monitoring goes. I’m not sure that is something I would want to deal with on my vacation. I have no problem with the temp check, just not sure I want to deal with the added lines and delays everywhere you go to eat , enjoy a show, getting back on board, etc.

So how long does it take to install hepa filters on a ship?

Is this something that can be picked up at port then installed at sea, or something that needs to be installed at port?

May take quite a while to get all ships equipped so I'd look closely at whatever ships get them first as they may be the ones starting out for Norwegian

15 hours ago, YOLO said:

Sure if you get to be one of the people in those lines?  But they didn't exactly say they were reducing on-board room capacity.  So will I be forced to sit around in my room while you get to have fun?  AND, if indeed they do reduce room capacity, who gets cut from already booked cruises?  Lastly, of course in this case the price will be going up.  In fact, in almost all post covid scenarios, prices will be going up.

If is mentioned that capacity will be reduced it was just hidden in there

11 hours ago, Kcusack89 said:

So how long does it take to install hepa filters on a ship?

Is this something that can be picked up at port then installed at sea, or something that needs to be installed at port?

May take quite a while to get all ships equipped so I'd look closely at whatever ships get them first as they may be the ones starting out for Norwegian

It wouldn’t be one but most likely ones in the public areas, and also filters in the returns in the HvAC systems in the rooms. 

I sent an email and asked about the requirements of masks.  Here is the response I was given.

We are currently finalizing our protocols but do not have the answers to your questions at this time. Once we do have additional information we will be sure to share with our valued guests as soon as possible.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line