Be Sure and Check for Military Discounts, if you Qualify

On 6/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, rjac said:

Yep, I always check that as well as over 55, C&A member # and state. Haven't received a state discount yet. I have tried the elusive FOM discount, but to no avail (FOM=Friend of Matt). I guess you have to go on an official blog group cruise to qualify for that one. :3_grin:

Better be careful - Matt is always one blog post or pod cast away from making the FOM a surcharge...    ?

16 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

@Pooch, I'm not sure what RCCL uses to verify military service.  I do know that AAFES (the Army/Air Force Exchange Service, or BX/PX) now allows all honorably discharged veterans to shop online, and the process they use can be found at https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans.  Also, Apple offers a military discount for veterans, and they use a website called id.me.  I think Princess Cruises uses id.me as well.  I would urge you to be careful about providing copies of the DD214 (Certificate of Discharge) to RCCL or anyone else, as most of the older ones will display the servicemember's SSN.  If nothing else, if you do get a military discount, just take a copy of the DD214 with you when you board, to prove eligibility.

I have an email in to RCCL to ask this very question.  The information I have gotten so far shows the criteria that needs to be met but not what they accept as proof.

So I have a certified copy of his service record. Shows enlistment date, dates of all schools and posting in Sicily and his discharge.  Certainly plenty of information to cover the 4 years of service in the US Navy. Don’t know why that wouldn’t be enough ?‍♀️

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

But just to be save he’s made a written request for a copy of his DD214. I can’t find it anywhere 

There’s a good chance that if the person that asks for it wouldn’t know what there looking for unless they have examples in front of then or were prior service.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, rjac said:

In all my cruising history, I have never had to prove my military service (ID card or DD form 214) at check in. I doubt, too, that they would know what they ere looking at nor where to look on the ID card or form. :27_sunglasses:

Same with state "Florida" rates, always used a passport upon check in.  

This defines EXACTLY what is needed. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/qualifications-special-pricing

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following: 

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.
  2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel). All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.
  3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.
  4. Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.
  • All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom. 

On 6/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, mworkman said:

I would assume that verification proof would be for those who are currently active duty, reserves, National Guard and retired be in the form of I’d cards and for those who didn’t retire it would be a DD 214 which has your combat service annotated on it.

What about us Air Force folks??

11 Air Force memes that will make you laugh for hours - Americas ...

I keed, I keed

Difference between Air Force and ground pounders:

Army officer (points towards the front line and turns to enlisted guys): Give ‘em hell, private!

Air Force enlisted guy (helps officer strap into combat aircraft): Give ‘em hell, sir!

(said as one of the aforementioned AF officers)

Thanks, that’s the first I’ve seen that lists the necessary documentation.  We’ve ordered his DD214 AND his DD215 which corrected the original to add Honorable Conditions.  I’ll just put them with our passports.

Edited to add it says 2 years service OR six months in a war zone.  Does not say combat service is a requirement correct?

There are more military discounts "out there" than I seen in many years. I preferred the way "Princess" did it, submit the proof once, prior to the sail date, and it remained in your file with them. 

Enjoyed the banter on this thread so far, even being enlisted USAF ;>) Even though I was only an E-4, I was selected to do a year as a missile crew chief  prior to my SE Asia tour. Much safer in northern Thailand than supervising Larry, Moe and Curly Joe at "George Air Force Base" in the California desert.

39 minutes ago, Hagar said:

There are more military discounts "out there" than I seen in many years. I preferred the way "Princess" did it, submit the proof once, prior to the sail date, and it remained in your file with them. 

Enjoyed the banter on this thread so far, even being enlisted USAF ;>) Even though I was only an E-4, I was selected to do a year as a missile crew chief  prior to my SE Asia tour. Much safer in northern Thailand than supervising Larry, Moe and Curly Joe at "George Air Force Base" in the California desert.

Hagar,

It doesn't matter that you were an E-4. What's important is that you stood up, pledged the oath and served honorably. Which is A LOT more than many young Americans did nor have done......even now. Thanks for your service to our Country from one Vet to another. By the way, what type of missiles? :27_sunglasses:

This is how I feel about hubby’s service.  He tells me it was clear early on that he was not cut out for the military and, due no doubt to a little too much partying on his off days in Sicily, he received a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions.  But he DID SERVE and I am proud of him for it.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:53 PM, Auto said:

Difference between Air Force and ground pounders:

Army officer (points towards the front line and turns to enlisted guys): Give ‘em hell, private!

Air Force enlisted guy (helps officer strap into combat aircraft): Give ‘em hell, sir!

(said as one of the aforementioned AF officers)

This is exactly why one of my children chose AF.  Subsequently they are finding themselves aerial being refueled where the saying is...

There are two types of people: 

Those that have already vomited and those who are about to.

15 hours ago, Pooch said:

This is how I feel about hubby’s service.  He tells me it was clear early on that he was not cut out for the military and, due no doubt to a little too much partying on his off days in Sicily, he received a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions.  But he DID SERVE and I am proud of him for it.

Service is service and we thank you both for it.

15 hours ago, rjac said:

Hagar,

It doesn't matter that you were an E-4. What's important is that you stood up, pledged the oath and served honorably. Which is A LOT more than many young Americans did nor have done......even now. Thanks for your service to our Country from one Vet to another. By the way, what type of missiles? :27_sunglasses:

Appreciate that, wanted a career but my first wife couldn't handle the lifestyle. 

I was in TAC so all of the classics for the F4 and F105. I specialized in the Falcon (AIM-4) since it was so messy with hydraulic fluid but Sidewinders (AIM-9), Sparrows (AIM-7) and the Mavericks (AGM-65) were each in different diagnostic bays (seems like we did more painting than electronics though ;>)

The F-4 was an awesome platform!  We had 'em at Ramstein there at my first duty station.  Although I probably complained nearly every day, I loved the AF and kick myself daily for getting out before retirement.  Dumbest move of my life.  

Thank you all for your service, and also to your spouses; Lord knows it's harder on them than us.

File:F-4E 526th TFS flying past Trifels Castle 1982.JPEG ...

The F-4 was an awesome platform!  We had 'em at Ramstein there at my first duty station.  Although I probably complained nearly every day, I loved the AF and kick myself daily for getting out before retirement. 

@Floski Best 4 years of my life were spent in Europe at Soesterberg, The Netherlands (Camp New Amsterdam) 1972-76.  I went to Ramstein a few times.  I made the rounds in Europe going TDY to play basketball.  I miss those F-4 Phantoms.

3 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

@Floski Best 4 years of my life were spent in Europe at Soesterberg, The Netherlands (Camp New Amsterdam) 1972-76.  I went to Ramstein a few times.  I made the rounds in Europe going TDY to play basketball.  I miss those F-4 Phantoms.

I got to go to Crete playing basketball when I was stationed at Boerfink Bunker!  How cool was that?

2 hours ago, Floski said:

I got to go to Crete playing basketball when I was stationed at Boerfink Bunker!  How cool was that?

@Floski My best trip was on a night train through East Germany to play basketball in Berlin.  We were told that we would be shot if we got off the train for any reason.  I kept wondering if World War 3 hinged on whether or not I got off the train.   I decided to stay on the train until we reached Berlin..