No cruise ships in Canadian ports until 31 October

With the Maine ports and now the Canadian ports closed, I am no longer interested in the trip.  I am sad I will not be meeting some of my fellow cruise mates that I have been talking to on line. 

I am going to wait until the final payment is due to see what else may happen. The only cruise port for this trip that is not closed  is Boston. I am waiting to see what happens with the Boston port, as well as hoping that RCCL will do the right thing and cancel the cruise which would have a different out come for our deposits.

In an ideal world they will reschedule this trip next year.

I was thinking this might end up being a Bermuda cruise, I did one on Serenade of the Seas last year from Boston.  Also it could be something like 2 days at sea, Perfect Day, Nassau, two days back.  We'll just have to wait and see but hopefully it will end up being something like that and we can still have a blast!

It’s now officially announced in this morning’s Press conference by Canada’s government:

No cruise ships will be allowed into Canadian ports before October 31, 2020 - effectively cancelling the Summer and early Fall cruising season in Canada.

This will mean more cancellations and itinerary changes for this year’s Alaska, Eastern seaboard, and Fall foliage cruises.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Now should I just cancel my cruise planner stuff now or wait?  That's the question.

It may be a smart move to do it now, and beat the next surge of refunds that will have to be issued.

I’d do it today, earlier than later - assuming that you would not accept a drastically revised itinerary, should your cruise not be cancelled. I’d also do it before you try a Lift and Shift.

39 minutes ago, Matt said:

Wait it out. You only stand to benefit in terms of better deal back.

Not to mention there is a slimmest of slim chance the itinerary is changed.

Yeah, I can't even deal with it now anyway.  Between the covids, the riots in Minnesota and my dog being mysteriously sick I just want to disappear into the mountains.

@SpeedNoodles  I hope your dog feels better. As WOC I am on the fence about what is happening in Minnesota. They will turn this into a COVID/political mess soon that will trickle down and affect many aspects of our daily lives.

Everything since March has be one flustercuck.....I just saw a story about a Canadian officer throwing/pushing a woman over a balcony. I wouldn't be surprised if Canadian borders don't open until 2021.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Everything since March has be one flustercuck.....I just saw a story about a Canadian officer throwing/pushing a woman over a balcony. I wouldn't be surprised if Canadian borders don't open until 2021.

This is my worry (as I am Canadian)...and if cruise ships aren't allowed, then likely they won't open the borders, or will require a 2 week quarantine if you do go.

I have been wondering about this, too. If the change the itinerary to something like Bermuda and the Bahamas, I have zero interest in cruising. We shall see what they say on Tuesday. I was excited when I began reading the email the sent, I thought it was going to say that we would get the extra refund or future cruise credit, but alas, it was just a wait and see. Even if they do offer an enticing itinerary, I am not sure I would want to cruise with all of the extra precautions and regs that will undoubtably put into place. I understand them, just not worth it for me. Hoping for the best for all, whatever that may mean for each person!

@WannaCruise We are are in phase 3 of Chicago's 5 phase reopening plan..... restaurants are just beginning to open for outdoor seating only on June 1-3rd. In phase four, people will finally be able to travel, gather in groups under 50 and actually eat inside a restaurant, that is July 1st. We are told full, normal capacity won't be allowed until a vaccine is produced, at least 90 days with no new cases.....in other words, at least the end of the year. This all banking on testing, tracing and following protocol. All phases require mask. I said all of this to to say you aren't the only one worried. 14-day quarantines after travel might be a thing.

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@WannaCruise We are are in phase 3 of Chicago's 5 phase reopening plan..... restaurants are just beginning to open for outdoor seating only on June 1-3rd. In phase four, people will finally be able to travel, gather in groups under 50 and actually eat inside a restaurant, that is July 1st. We are told full, normal capacity won't be allowed until a vaccine is produced, at least 90 days with no new cases.....in other words, at least the end of the year. This all banking on testing, tracing and following protocol. All phases require mask. I said all of this to to say you aren't the only one worried. 14-day quarantines after travel might be a thing.

You're better than us in Toronto. We're still in phase 1...some stores are opening if they have outside entrance, some parks (but no playgrounds), golf courses, restaurants only for take out.  Doesn't sounds promising and you are ahead. ☹️

@WannaCruise Well our phases are dependent on EVERYONE following protocol....that is not happening. If at any point the COVID numbers climb we start phase one again. People are such in a rush to get to phase five, they haven't fully read the plan, that already we have an influx of infections. They say it has to do with testing but that has been proven wrong. Tons of Illinoisans went to neighboring states and/or relaxed their social distancing for Memorial weekend; all of those positive infections are going to start showing this week. I definitely feel we will be stuck in phase four until next year. Which still limits travel and has quarantine measures. Main reason I L&S/cancelled any 2020/January 2021 cruises.

Is it just me or does anyone feel like it's pretty much impossible not to get new infections unless on a complete lockdown. I mean nothing but hospitals and pharmacies open kind of thing. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

That being said, I'm always much more interested in hospitalization or specifically ICU admissions then just people who have it. If many have it but are at home watching netflix then that's a win!

Ok, there goes my 11 night from Montreal.  The only thing I ordered from the cruise planner was the $41 drink package.  I'll miss that.  I sent an email to MEI to see what we need to do.  I assume we will have to wait for the official announcement, then I'll cancel the drink package.  I don't want FCC, I want my money back.

23 hours ago, Marlena said:

Is it just me or does anyone feel like it's pretty much impossible not to get new infections unless on a complete lockdown. I mean nothing but hospitals and pharmacies open kind of thing. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

The goal with all of these containment efforts is purely to slow down the rate of infection, not stop it completely. And the reason for that is to ensure that all of the local hospitals have enough beds / ventilators / negative pressure rooms / etc. needed to handle the case load.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

The goal with all of these containment efforts is purely to slow down the rate of infection, not stop it completely. And the reason for that is to ensure that all of the local hospitals have enough beds / ventilators / negative pressure rooms / etc. needed to handle the case load.

Exactly my point. So when people say cases need to drop to zero it's never going to happen.

@Marlena No new cases for a few months could be possible. Zero can happen.....for a period. The problem is that would take time and proper protocol. Currently COVID is on the back burner thanks to protest, so the odds of that happening this year has dramatically decreased. All of this unnecessary extra stuff is just pushing back the dates.

The October 11 Group cruise is back on the website along with all of the other October sailings out of Boston !!!

...but now, all categories except for inside cabins is showing "sold out".

To me, this seems to imply that the cruise has NOT been cancelled but that they have closed new reservations to achieve some kind of minimized occupancy.  Perhaps a change of itinerary ?

Of course, this is all pure speculation....but it's a change from yesterday !

8 hours ago, Kcusack89 said:

I think it's a good thing they canceled these sailings as royal has stAted they are starting with a limited fleet. This just helps them narrow down which ships to start with.

Hopefully soon they’ll announce which ships and itineraries. Selling everything in August right now when it won’t be the case is kind of misleading.