Birding in Nassau

EaVae

I'm an amateur/avid birder and tried to hook up with a woman in Nassau that used to take folks birding. She was not available when I was there in February but here's what she sent me and I did see a few lifers in Nassau.

I've listed the birds that you could see, with some suggestions of where you could go.:

White-cheeked Pintail
Least Grebe
Smooth-billed Ani
Mangrove Cuckoo
Bahama Woodstar
Limpkin
Neotropic Cormorant
Cuban Pewee
La Sagra's Flycatcher
Loggerhead Kingbird
Thick-billed Vireo
Bahama Mockingbird
Red-legged Thrush
Western Spindalis
Painted Bunting
Bananaquit
Greater Antillean Bullfinch
Cuban Grassquit
Black-faced Grassquit

You might consider visiting the Retreat Gardens on Village Road, east of the town, which is an 11 acre botanical garden where you should find some local birds and migrant warblers..  Ardastra Gardens west of the town is also a good spot.  This is a low key zoo and conservation centre which attracts wild birds.  There you would probably find the White-cheeked Pintail and there is an injured West Indian Whistling Duck there also, they are not in captivity.  There's also a pond on Paradise Island at Lakeview Drive east of Comfort Suites, you can take a water taxi over to the island from the cruise ship docks.

Pick up a Bahamas Trailblazers map as you come ashore to find where to go.  Buses run in both directions.

If you use ebird, you can see what people are finding in those locations.

27 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

I'm an amateur/avid birder and tried to hook up with a woman in Nassau that used to take folks birding. She was not available when I was there in February but here's what she sent me and I did see a few lifers in Nassau.

I've listed the birds that you could see, with some suggestions of where you could go.:

White-cheeked Pintail
Least Grebe
Smooth-billed Ani
Mangrove Cuckoo
Bahama Woodstar
Limpkin
Neotropic Cormorant
Cuban Pewee
La Sagra's Flycatcher
Loggerhead Kingbird
Thick-billed Vireo
Bahama Mockingbird
Red-legged Thrush
Western Spindalis
Painted Bunting
Bananaquit
Greater Antillean Bullfinch
Cuban Grassquit
Black-faced Grassquit

You might consider visiting the Retreat Gardens on Village Road, east of the town, which is an 11 acre botanical garden where you should find some local birds and migrant warblers..  Ardastra Gardens west of the town is also a good spot.  This is a low key zoo and conservation centre which attracts wild birds.  There you would probably find the White-cheeked Pintail and there is an injured West Indian Whistling Duck there also, they are not in captivity.  There's also a pond on Paradise Island at Lakeview Drive east of Comfort Suites, you can take a water taxi over to the island from the cruise ship docks.

Pick up a Bahamas Trailblazers map as you come ashore to find where to go.  Buses run in both directions.

If you use ebird, you can see what people are finding in those locations.

This is awesome! Thank you!

I think I found the same lady (there seems to be only one (!?) on tripadvisor, but her website has been shut down. 

Thank you so much for the information!!!