Taxes and Fees refund?

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Do you get an email when they refund you the taxes and fees? Or is it just you gotta have a keen eye for when it hits your bank account or credit card?

No.  And the refund for port fees and taxes (which one would think comes from the same place) may be in pieces as well.   You really have to stay on top of it to make sure you end up getting everything that you are owed.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, CrznTxn said:

Received an email from RCCL asking if we wanted to receive a 125% FCC on our Cruise Planner purchases on one of our upcoming cruises that was cancelled. This is funny as we cancelled those purchases although we have not received any refunds to date. Since we have not received the money back we were wondering if they were using this to keep the money and the extra 25% incentive can be written off later. Below is the letter.

RCCL Cruise Planner FCC.html 1.07 MB · 4 downloads

I'd more assume that the systems don't talk to each other.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

No.  And the refund for port fees and taxes (which one would think comes from the same place) may be in pieces as well.   You really have to stay on top of it to make sure you end up getting everything that you are owed.

Thank you. I was told part of it was sent last week and part is supposed to be this week but I haven't noticed anything. I'll have to look again to see if anything was refunded. 

Our refunds seem to be processed by our credit card company on the weekend even though it shows that RCCL processed theirs on Monday. I guess RCCL processes their refunds on a Friday and our card company lets it sit and processes it on the following weekend. So far that is how it has worked. Still waiting on refunds from one cruise and a partial on another out of three cancelled. The one that we did receive we actually booked direct and not through our TA. The TA booked cruises have been the slow ones, go figure. The one that is a partial is the oldest one that was scheduled to leave almost 90 days ago. Unless there is a fantastic bargain on a Cruise Planner item, the wife refuses to give more money to RCCL until we are refunded some more.

10 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I think i just got the taxes OR the fees from my May 8th Mariner cancellation ... taxes and fees was $178.48 ... mystery refund from Royal Caribbean today for $74.88 .... hoping i see another one tomorrow for the difference ?

I would not hold my breath. Of our mystery refunds of $348.22 out of $642.14, we have not seen any additional money back in just under a month. It was refunded in two amounts that corresponded to absolutely nothing. Wonder if the 45 day window restarts once they give you some money back.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:05 PM, billdauterive said:

I'm still missing mine from an April 6 cruise.  I got the FCC for it on 4/13 (and already used it). 

I think it's now past the 45 business days from the cancellation date of 3/14 for the "cash" refund of taxes and fees so I'll probably be calling in soon to see the status.  I've been as patient as possible by giving them the max amount of time they said they needed to process, but now I'm pretty certain it's been lost in the shuffle.

Another point of data.  Mine finally posted yesterday (and it was correct math, not "Royal" math).

It was about 47 business days from sail date, and 63 business days from cancel date (I didn't count Good Friday and Memorial day as business days).

At nearly 60 days since requesting here - they canceled the cruise and was very simple booking as was fully paid and hadn't got around to any extra purchases etc so should be very simple booking to refund.  No responses from RCCL.  Got 2 random payments 20 days ago amounting to about 10% and that's it.  The refund email clearly says WITHIN 45 days.  Nothing about business days.  I know its tough times but its should be automated process just like booking is.  Lack of any response or update leaves a bit of a sour taste.  Even if they just apologized for being late and provided an update it would be fine.  But nothing is a bit rude given they are holding on to a 5 figure sum. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We got half of our taxes and fees today. Might have got the other half actually, just have to look at all our accounts. We used a few different forms of payment over the year of paying it off. 

I think that’s another lesson I’ve learned through this. Use one card for Royal purchases so that it’s easier to track it down. 

1 minute ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think that’s another lesson I’ve learned through this. Use one card for Royal purchases so that it’s easier to track it down. 

I now agree. I used a CC to pay the deposit, and I then the rest came out of our bank account directly in 2 payments. I don't think we used anything else but I'm not 100% sure. Something tells me we got it because our TA said last was one payment and this week was the rest. We noticed today. 

Oh wait yes there was a 3rd payment from my wife's CC because that's where the payment was refunded today to, she has a credit on that card because it was at 0 balance. Now we have to request a check from the CC for the money. Anyone ever do this before? Does the CC charge you for this?

2 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I now agree. I used a CC to pay the deposit, and I then the rest came out of our bank account directly in 2 payments. I don't think we used anything else but I'm not 100% sure. Something tells me we got it because our TA said last was one payment and this week was the rest. We noticed today. 

Oh wait yes there was a 3rd payment from my wife's CC because that's where the payment was refunded today to, she has a credit on that card because it was at 0 balance. Now we have to request a check from the CC for the money. Anyone ever do this before? Does the CC charge you for this?

I usually go with whatever card I’m close to hitting thresholds on for the year (normally southwest in the back half to get to companion pass) or whatever Card I’m working on a spend bonus on. 
no, they won’t charge you for the credit balance, but if it’s close to annual fee time you could just leave it, but as it sounds like a card you don’t use often you may want to call and see if there’s any incentive to keep it. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I usually go with whatever card I’m close to hitting thresholds on for the year (normally southwest in the back half to get to companion pass) or whatever Card I’m working on a spend bonus on. 
no, they won’t charge you for the credit balance, but if it’s close to annual fee time you could just leave it, but as it sounds like a card you don’t use often you may want to call and see if there’s any incentive to keep it. 

Thanks for the suggestion. It's my wife's card so I'm not sure how often sure uses it but as it is a zero balance I guess not too often. 

We are gonna have to go through this process again in Sept because there is just about 1% chance we sail on Oasis in Sept. Although actually I would try to lift and shift because the price we we got is just insane. I really, really don't want to lose the fare we paid. We paid it with our FCC and still have a grand left over. 

17 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. It's my wife's card so I'm not sure how often sure uses it but as it is a zero balance I guess not too often. 

We are gonna have to go through this process again in Sept because there is just about 1% chance we sail on Oasis in Sept. Although actually I would try to lift and shift because the price we we got is just insane. I really, really don't want to lose the fare we paid. We paid it with our FCC and still have a grand left over. 

Definitely try if you can, especially now with lots of people carrying new balances having Even a little bit of leverage with a card company may get bonus points or the fee waived. 

Received a credit on our Credit Card 6-11-2020 for fees and taxes of  $256.40. This was for our

Harmony Cruise sailing 3-29-2020. Cruise was cancelled by Royal Caribbean.

Received our Future Cruise Credit from this cruise on 4-10-2020. 

Still waiting for credit for taxes and fees for our cancelled 5-03-2020 Harmony Cruise which was 

cancelled by Royal Caribbean. Future Cruise Credit was received.

• 4 weeks later...

@calvink669, I received my FCC from my June 28 cancelled sailing about 3 weeks ago and just now today received my taxes and ports fees, keep checking they are on the way. 

I also believe I received my taxes and port fees from my November 20 Odyssey sailing that Royal just cancelled, I was confused because the amount refunded was so random, but the math worked. Did not expect that until December this year, so happy about that!

Now if they would just refund my April cruise planner purchases I would be one happy camper!lisa simpson theater GIF