Name something GOOD that has come out of the CV isolation.

WAAAYTOOO

I'll start.

I am now fully in LOVE with InstaCart (and similar services) !!!  I realize that they had been around for a while prior to this madness, but since the plague, I have realized what a WONDERFUL service this is.  I no longer have to go to the grocery story and I LOVE IT !  Today I was able to get 3 cases of beer, 2 bags of potting soil and nifty new slicer/shredder (oh....plus some food) delivered.  Only in America !!!   I intend to keep using this service even after the plague has subsided.

What an awesome example of good old fashioned Yankee capitalism !  We WILL get through this, stronger than ever.

I can focus on my passion projects and hobbies. I am actively writing again. I really wanted to be a writer when I was younger but life got in the way. I have been lucky enough to write a short story every now and again over the last decade. But to write when inspiration strikes has been amazing. Since I am working from home until 2021, I might even be able to finish my children book and collection of short stories.

I guess also that the color scheme I chose for my living space is on point......you would think slate grey and grape candy colored walls would be detracting but its quite soothing.

2 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Saved about 250 miles worth of gas per week between our two cars.

Not as much benefit as it would be for some because one is a hybrid getting 50+ mpg.

^^^^ This!

We haven't filled up.since we left for the airport March 5

Downside: haven't been anywhere since we returned March 16  ?

I'm learning to be more patient, especially with companies that might not deserve it (United for example). I've also realized how wasteful my wife and I are ... Paper plates, napkins, toilet paper, etc. We have learned to conserve. 

Of course saving money without eating out, me not commuting (wife still does) and all that.

I decided to add 600 sq/ft to my garage.  And since a tree fell on it damaging one of the eaves I was able to get it done during lock down because it was covered under essential construction because the crew had to come out and repair that damage.....and since they could come out....they knocked out the addition....and loved me for it because otherwise they weren't working.

I have learned just how important traveling is to me and how lucky I have been to be able to travel without restrictions. I know I am going to miss a lot of the things that make vacations so great but at the same time I am so thankful for the memories. This whole pandemic has helped me appreciate the small things. And I have had to reintroduce myself to cooking. ?

I get to wear funny t-shirts 7 days a week instead of 2. Also, I think my job will be more open to flexibility with telework - they already were pretty flexible, but i think if I asked to work part time from home in the future, they wouldn't blink. We got 2 puppies right at the beginning of this, and I'd like to be able to keep up with their potty training by being here more.

Saved on gas.  I’m one of the very blessed ones that kept my job while working at home.  I have left my house to market shop and go to Lowe’s. But kept it at once a week.   I do not like delivery services.  I like to go out and see people.  My husband works for the P.O. and works 6 days a week.  We really haven’t changed much.   

I will add that at first I was NOT happy with becoming a homeschooling mom also; however, I think it was a blessing in disguise.  I helped my daughter with things she was struggling with and the teachers were too busy for her. She is definitely ready for 8th grade!

@bytheslice I have not met any of those people. I have met the ones who downplay the virus and go into home Depot, Target, Jewel(a grocery store in Chicago where my mother has been working for 40years, even during this time.) and other places that require distancing and  PPE and spit in workers faces. But this is a post about GOOD things. Like my ability to work for home, its a godsend to still be actively employed.

cat chatting GIF

9 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'll start.

I am now fully in LOVE with InstaCart (and similar services) !!!  I realize that they had been around for a while prior to this madness, but since the plague, I have realized what a WONDERFUL service this is.  I no longer have to go to the grocery story and I LOVE IT !  Today I was able to get 3 cases of beer, 2 bags of potting soil and nifty new slicer/shredder (oh....plus some food) delivered.  Only in America !!!   I intend to keep using this service even after the plague has subsided.

What an awesome example of good old fashioned Yankee capitalism !  We WILL get through this, stronger than ever.

ONLY in America?  really.

Our altered schedule at work (done to minimize our exposure to each other) results in built-in OT every paycheck.  I don't know about you, but that seems like more money for cruises (although in reality we have to reroof the house/garage within a few weeks, so who am I kidding? I know where that money is going).

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Our altered schedule at work (done to minimize our exposure to each other) results in built-in OT every paycheck.  I don't know about you, but that seems like more money for cruises (although in reality we have to reroof the house/garage within a few weeks, so who am I kidding? I know where that money is going).

That money is going to a mere balcony instead of a suite so the garage doesn't turn into a Solarium swimming pool?

Our dry cleaning bill went down since I have been furloughed, and husband only has to go into work 2 days a week …. I can keep up with ironing his dress shirts.

Have to say the bad thing is that although the dry cleaning bill went down, my husband and I can't wait to cruise again, so we are buying every excursion left and right.  We are like being a little kid and letting them loose in Sugar Beach....I want this, this, that and oh this too!  Hence. my good thing has cost me a lot of money!

A free(ish) drink package! Our Next Cruise OBC plus the 125% from our cancelled cruise planner purchases (just a 4 day for me and DH) covers the current sale price of the deluxe beverage package for the three adults on our 7 day in January 2021.  With the amount we actually paid on our cancelled cruise, the DBP in January works out to the equivalent of costing us $20.18 per person - who needs an intern! Now I can spend new money on Coco Cay excursions. 

We've all started Spanish lessons so hopefully by November on our next cruise we can speak a little more with the locals...something other than "una mas cerveza, por favor!"?

Since we moved into this house three years ago, we have been talking about putting in a garden. We finally started a container garden this spring with real plans to put in raised beds in the fall. My kitchen and bathroom cabinets are all organized and my closet is on the list for next week. 

With my younger daughter’s help, I finally got my second-largest garden bed cleared of the overgrown asters, put in a new tree and some shrubs, and converted over half the bed into our first attempt at a vegetable garden. Will see how that last part goes, I don’t think it’s getting nearly enough sun; only about 4 hours a day.

CF9B8549-0B17-4BAB-AF7F-67DD5396B0C1.thumb.jpeg.defb154d7233d02b7d10233a141b04de.jpeg

Sorry for the really big image, for some reason choosing a smaller file size causes the pic to get rotated.

2 hours off of a my day back from no commute. I got an hour or two of sleep back per day. I've been cooking really great meals. My cocktail game is on point. I run a few times a week now at the track across the street.

Edited to add a new hobby:  while drinking (drinks I made that I've learned since the quarantine) with 3 other adults somehow my birthday came up and what to get me and now my family is getting me a paddleboard as my present so that will be my summer.

(side note -  next day I woke up and realized they lied to me about the price - they told me it was half of what it actually was - and I tried all day to make them cancel the order. ?. Don't get me wrong, I love and am super excited it but it's an expensive hobby to take up and since they spent so much I'm obligated to go.)

No traffic to go to work (well at least it was like that before they opened  again most of the things here)

Dinner on time with the family

Local temporary farmer markets in the neighborhood were  real farmers came everyday with different ultra fresh products that they could not sell to  the restaurants