What are my Odds for Empress Aug. 24th, NE/Canada, sailing?

I guess that I will make final payment including air for the Empress this coming Tuesday.??  The ship leaves from Liberty visiting new England places and then 4 Canadian ports before it arrives in Montreal.  Does anyone have any information about reopening of the eastern Canadian ports?

(Of course, Royal Caribbean may even cancel the Empress cruise???)

I would like to remain optimistic, but the Canadian government, along with their medical oversight.  I don’t see it happening, along with our 10 day sailing in September. 
It will be interesting to see if ships are moved back to ports in the NE for sailing.  It doesn’t seem like there welcomed in that region and looked down upon.  It seems they forget that there are cargo ships that port there and disembark there peeps.

First I would say what does your gut tell you? Based on your perceptions of the current climate and outlook, will you be cruising?

As for me, honestly less than 41%......all the information that the CEO gave goes against any definite date of sailing in August and small ships being used. If you don't mind parting with your money and holding out, only for it to be cancelled or switched in itinerary and ship...they make final payments.

Thank you for your replies/suggestions!  We have decided to cancel.

.By cancelling now, our United nonrefundable flight tickets do not have any cancellation fees. United has no fees ( for any flights cancelled by May 31st). Also our $100 per person nonrefundable cruise deposits will be given back for a future cruise credit (We booked on board for the lower $200 deposit rate.)

I thought this information may help others decide what to do.  

But if the Empress sailing on Aug. 24th is really going to happen, we will book again!!! What a wonderful itinerary it has!!!

16 hours ago, Phillip Diamond Plus said:

We have decided to cancel.

Smart move. 

Canada, and especially Québec, will not be opening for cruise ships this season at all.

Montreal is still a sensitive hotspot for the virus There is no way that health authorities there will trust cruise passengers to respect social distancing measures, which will be in force for the months to come. Quebec wants to keep their schools and businesses reopened in September... and they have enough issues with the fragility of their current re-opening plan.

The Maritime provinces are also being ultra careful in allowing visitors for the summer.

If the late Summer & Fall Eastern seaboard cruises go ahead, they’ll have to do so with altered itineraries, having to skip Canadian ports.

3 hours ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

Smart move. 

Canada, and especially Québec, will not be opening for cruise ships this season at all.

Montreal is still a sensitive hotspot for the virus There is no way that health authorities there will trust cruise passengers to respect social distancing measures, which will be in force for the months to come. Quebec wants to keep their schools and businesses reopened in September... and they have enough issues with the fragility of their current re-opening plan.

The Maritime provinces are also being ultra careful in allowing visitors for the summer.

If the late Summer & Fall Eastern seaboard cruises go ahead, they’ll have to do so with altered itineraries, having to skip Canadian ports.

Thank you for the perspective from that side of the border. This, of course, isn't something I want to hear -- but it's certainly something I'm preparing myself for. I've decided that if our 10/11 cruise from Boston aboard Brilliance goes ahead, I'll be on it, even with altered ports. I made that choice for my June sailing which was ultimately cancelled, and I'll do it again if need-be.

I'm really looking forward to getting to visit the Canadian ports one day, even if it takes me til next year to do so; I really want to spend time in Halifax when I'm able.

Ain't happening....look, I live here and I cant even visit the places the cruise ship would be stopping at...….if I am locked down as a resident, they aren't letting tourists in. We have  ZERO cases in the province next to us and ONE case here....ZERO deaths in either province,  and I cant take a drive or visit family there and if I try I will be charged or arrested...…..

I am doubting the ability to even do my cruise in Nov based on what  I am seeing and hearing from officials in Canada...its insane....until someone files a lawsuit that our rights are being violated, this is the new norm for Canadians.....

I would give anything to be an American right now..more so then ever before.....

12 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Umm, you have zero deaths while we’re fast approaching 100,000. You sure about that?

Just in my province and the one next to us...…..Canada wide I am guessing we aren't far behind US numbers when you factor in the population difference. And if you take NY out of the equation(thanks Gov Cumo) you guys would prob be doing much better than us...and you havent lost many of the freedoms we have here....

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Just in my province and the one next to us...…..Canada wide I am guessing we aren't far behind US numbers when you factor in the population difference. And if you take NY out of the equation(thanks Gov Cumo) you guys would prob be doing much better than us...and you havent lost many of the freedoms we have here....

Canada as a whole isn’t anywhere close to the US in total confirmed deaths. My friend posted this just yesterday on FB, after looking up the official stats. As always, emphasis added.

It just occurred to me: How’s the rest of our continent handling the coronavirus outbreak? Why haven’t we been hearing about Canada and Mexico? It is all one land mass, after all.

I checked the official Canadian pandemic update page, and I initially thought: Wow, 84,000 — they’re doing almost as badly as the United States. And then I noticed: That’s not deaths. It’s *total cases*.

Current statistics for Canada:
Confirmed cases: 84,688
Deaths: 6,424

So I also looked up our neighbor to the south.

Current statistics for Mexico:
Confirmed cases: 68,620
Deaths: 7,394

For comparison…

Current statistics for New Jersey:
Confirmed cases: 154,154
Deaths: 11,133

Current statistics for the United States:
Confirmed cases: 1,622,114
Deaths: 97,049

These are raw numbers, and these are political units with very different populations, so let’s express them as a fraction of total population (Mexico = 129M, Canada = 38M, US = 331M, NJ = 9M):

Confirmed cases:
1 in 1,880 Mexicans have tested positive
1 in 449 Canadians have tested positive
1 in 204 Americans have tested positive
1 in 58 New Jerseyans have tested positive

Deaths:
1 in 17,447 Mexicans have died
1 in 5,915 Canadians have died
1 in 3,411 Americans have died

1 in 808 New Jerseyans have died

I suppose that’s why we haven’t been hearing about Canada and Mexico. As some guy said, the numbers look bad.

Canada’s official data: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Mexico’s official data: https://coronavirus.gob.mx/datos/

U.S. official data: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

New Jersey’s official data: https://covid19.nj.gov/#live-updates

So yes, in terms of percentages Canada is closer to the US, but it’s still almost half the rate of the US.

I believe we have about 7 thousands deaths...we have about 1/10th the population of the US...rough math would put our deaths at about 70,000 if population was equal...not that far off...just remove NY and we would be probably ahead.

Keep in mind also...that we have been way more restricted for longer and more severe than the US....been over 2 mths of lock down for us now...and no end in sight for probably 2 more months...its insane....and never mind the case #'s....think about the severe economic, menta, l and domestic relationship damage this has done and will do for years to come.....

But yeah, safe to assume NO cruises in or out of Canada in 2020......

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

But yeah, safe to assume NO cruises in or out of Canada in 2020......

It'd be great if the Canadian gov't would just announce this so we can all get on with our lives (ha, ok, that sounds selfish. It just seems like it would be an easy thing to decide and announce if that's what they want to do).

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It'd be great if the Canadian gov't would just announce this so we can all get on with our lives (ha, ok, that sounds selfish. It just seems like it would be an easy thing to decide and announce if that's what they want to do).

They won’t do that because it would cause more problems for the trying to fend off the masses.  It’s easier to play kick the can down the road as it approaches, so its closer to the dates in question.

6 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yeah..they just keep extending the international border closure for 30 days at a time....till June 21st for now....but even if/when that opens, I am pretty sure there will be the 14 day self -quarantine rule put in place....in the meantime, we cant leave our province so even if the border is legally open....it wont be easy or fun to travel.

Sucks when travel is your hobby and passion!:61_sob:

8 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

And kinda how I feel about my Odyssey cruise!!...If you know it wont happen, hurry up and let me know so I can make other plans!!!!

Just now, monctonguy said:

And kinda how I feel about my Odyssey cruise!!...If you know it wont happen, hurry up and let me know so I can make other plans!!!!

Yeah, I'm booked on that, too.  Brilliance GC in October and B2B Odyssey inaugural in November.   I know none of it is happening.  I won't make other plans anyway, but there's just no point pretending.

7 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I wonder if there’s still people out there wondering why they just didn’t do US ports, like the US after villianizing the industry for months was going to suddenly give and suspend the PVSA.