What’s your deal breaker?

On 5/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, bytheslice said:

Real men don't wear masks!

What year are you in? Are we still doing this? I thought we made progress with the whole "real men" thing. (if you're completely joking I'll step off)

I've said this before. I don't care if I have to wear a mask to cruise if it gets me to vacation again. As long as it's realistic in my eyes, it's fine. Bars and restaurants, no. Muster, sure. While I understand people who refuse to cruise if masks are involved, personally I want to get out of my house again. I want life back again. I'll do whatever I need to keep myself and anyone around me safe. I hope for no masks but I'm ready  for the new normal, whenever that is and whatever that means.

17 hours ago, S0nny said:

The most important part of that citation seems to be something that was completely glossed over...

Surgical masks are designed to capture bacteria from the wearer’s mouth, and prevent them from spreading to other surfaces (or people). While Wikipedia goes on to delineate between surgical masks and masks used to prevent airborne illnesses (like N95 masks or respirators), we can still use surgical masks to prevent infection through universal use. One of the primary benefits of wearing a surgical mask in the “healthy” is by acting as a physical barrier to your mouth and nose (something humans touch constantly without realizing it). 

Who is going to provide these masks?

And you do realize that they are single use only?

There is no safe reusable mask. There are respirators with disposable filters, however again who is going to provide these and the filters and then the cleaning of respirators?  

3 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

There is no safe reusable mask. There are respirators with disposable filters, however again who is going to provide these and the filters and then the cleaning of respirators?  

I think the mask promoters fail to mention this, or could be choose to forget this small bit of information.

9 minutes ago, L454S said:

I think the mask promoters fail to mention this, or could be choose to forget this small bit of information.

Yes, that and the real issue is the people making these decisions, really don't know the why or how.  They are ill informed or misinformed as to  the reasons they are making these decisions or why they are making them.

I hear and see all kinds of comments from lay people that really don't know what they are talking about.  TV interviews with "TV" doctors that just gloss over things or leave very important info out.

Then the real docs that say anything contrary to CDC or government agenda are censored. 

But all they really want to do is make people "feel" better.

I could give you medicine to mask the symptoms and you will "feel" better but that does not solve the problem. Most people don't want to hear that.

Sorry end rant.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:18 AM, spursfreak21 said:

We are wearing masks for exactly the intent you referenced in the article. To prevent you from getting others sick. You may be an asymptomatic carrier or you may be infected but don’t have the symptoms yet. It’s not to protect you it’s to protect everyone else.  

Our DMV is requiring the public to wear a mask when entering the building but the employees at the DMV are NOT required to wear one.  So that entire argument of "its not to protect you, its to protect others" is thrown completely out the window when the government that is forcing citizens into this "New Normal" BS doesn't have to follow their own guidelines.  

I have not worn a mask since this started and I will not wear one.  If a business requires it then they don't need my money.  I actually think for myself instead of blindly following the masses that listen to people with an agenda.  

16 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

1. Good question... If this is a genuine concern of yours, I encourage you to contact your state and local representatives. Not a lot of people were up in arms when the regulatory agencies were telling me, a registered nurse taking care of COVID-19 patients, to reuse my surgical mask for a week (thereby exposing me and my family to take care of you and yours). If you insist on having a single-use disposable mask... they are selling a 50 pack for $9 bucks on Amazon... that's about 18 cents per mask.

2. Yes, I do realize that the masks are intended to be single use... desperate times call for desperate measures. 

3. You do not need a respirator or N95 mask for getting a haircut, or going grocery shopping (especially when healthcare providers can barely get their hands on them). The masks are not intended to filter anything. They are intended to prevent the spreading of droplets. This can be done with a reusable mask, or a disposable surgical mask (Taiwan was able to confine the virus without shutting down the country by implementing mandatory facemasks and contract tracing with isolation). While I agree that the safety of reusable masks has not been thoroughly studied, surely it cannot be disputed that they are more safe than wearing nothing. 

(sorry to the OP... I'm not trying to hijack the thread... I just want to minimize disinformation)

4 hours ago, Yo2slick said:I have not worn a mask since this started and I will not wear one.  If a business requires it then they don't need my money.  I actually think for myself instead of blindly following the masses that listen to people with an agenda.  

These Yo2slick think for yourself sessions sound fascinating.  Wish I could have been there.  
So during this session you decided that limiting what droplets might enter or leave your mouth and nose is not a good idea?  Can you walk the rest of us through your logic?  What made limiting droplet exposure a bad idea for Yo2slick and those around you?

This is truly not sarcasm, I would love for you to explain your process.

1 hour ago, Larry Muster said:

These Yo2slick think for yourself sessions sound fascinating.  Wish I could have been there.  
So during this session you decided that limiting what droplets might enter or leave your mouth and nose is not a good idea?  Can you walk the rest of us through your logic?  What made limiting droplet exposure a bad idea for Yo2slick and those around you?

This is truly not sarcasm, I would love for you to explain your process.

IF you would have read my post then its not hard to understand or comprehend.  Do we wear masks for flu season?  NO!  Do we wear masks or gloves in public for any other infectious disease before COVID???  NO!!!  Herd immunity is a very real thing and it works plain and simple.  Buying into the fear mongering brought to us by the Mainstream media is not something Im willing to do.  I notice how you completely skipped over the part that the government workers are not required to wear masks at our DMV and went straight into attacking my way of thinking.  That in itself proves my point that most people are sheep and don't think for themselves.  

Just an add on to the mask vs. no mask question.

As an asthmatic, my ability to move air INTO my body is already compromised. Wearing a mask to protect others by limiting dispersion of droplets significantly impedes that already compromised ability. If it's a choice between ME being able to breathe sufficiently or providing a small amount of benefit to others, there's no debate here - the mask is not going to be worn.

Is that selfish? Maybe. But asking (or requiring) me to wear a mask that endangers my health is equally selfish. One selfish me vs. a multitude of selfishness by others - I think that puts me on the higher moral ground.

[/soapbox]

2 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

That in itself proves my point that most people are sheep and don't think for themselves.  

I'm no sheep and I'm tired of hearing this. I have a family member who works in a hospital and sees a lot of death. I have a friend whose job the last few months was to tell people they were positive. Both of them have seen a lot of death. Death from people who were supposedly healthy.

This is my issue with people like you - just because I believe something doesn't mean I'm a sheep. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you're wrong.  Stop calling people like me a sheep and I'll refrain from calling people like you something worse. Wear the damn mask or don't and deal with the consequences. OR DON'T. Disagreeing is one thing - name calling is another.

I just don't understand why we can't disagree with respect.

2 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I'm no sheep and I'm tired of hearing this. I have a family member who works in a hospital and sees a lot of death. I have a friend who's job the last few months was to tell people they were positive. Both of them have seen a lot of death. Death from people who were supposedly healthy.

This is my issue with people like you - just because I believe something doesn't mean I'm a sheep. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you're wrong.  Stop calling people like me a sheep and I'll refrain from calling people like you something worse. Wear the damn mask or don't and deal with the consequences. OR DON'T. Disagreeing is one thing - name calling is another.

I just don't understand why we can't disagree with respect.

I never named called anyone or even mentioned you specifically!  Sheep is a term that describes people that follow the masses and DO NOT THINK FOR THEMSELVES...I happen to disagree with your "Im ready for a new normal" statements but never called you out for it.  Im just simply stating my opinion and YOU are the one getting offended by it.  

1 minute ago, Yo2slick said:

I never named called anyone or even mentioned you specifically!  Sheep is a term that describes people that follow the masses and DO NOT THINK FOR THEMSELVES...I happen to disagree with your "Im ready for a new normal" statements but never called you out for it.  Im just simply stating my opinion and YOU are the one getting offended by it.  

Okay buddy. 

2 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

IF you would have read my post then its not hard to understand or comprehend.  Do we wear masks for flu season?  NO!  Do we wear masks or gloves in public for any other infectious disease before COVID???  NO!!!  Herd immunity is a very real thing and it works plain and simple.  Buying into the fear mongering brought to us by the Mainstream media is not something Im willing to do.  I notice how you completely skipped over the part that the government workers are not required to wear masks at our DMV and went straight into attacking my way of thinking.  That in itself proves my point that most people are sheep and don't think for themselves.  

I’m with you 100%!  It’s incredible how much liberty, freedom, and individual responsibility people are willing to sacrifice out of fear.

Science changes based on the evidence provided. When new evidence appears, science is open enough to re-evaluate their current ideas.

Not accepting science that doesn't fit into your agenda or macho freedom images goes against not only the safety of yourself but society as a whole.

Listen to science. It's the only way we will get back to some version of the old normal.

16 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Science changes based on the evidence provided. When new evidence appears, science is open enough to re-evaluate 

Just this morning the WHO declared that nobody should wear a mask unless they are caring for an infected person or are an individual exhibiting symptoms. Which is in direct conflict with recently shifted CDC opinion. Which is right? Which is wrong? 

I agree: trust science. But what if you cant trust the scientist? Real scientists that is, not made for television self proclaimed experts who make the rounds and tell a different story depending on which network is paying them.

8 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Just this morning the WHO declared that nobody should wear a mask unless they are caring for an infected person or are an individual exhibiting symptoms. Which is in direct conflict with recently shifted CDC opinion. Which is right? Which is wrong? 

I agree: trust science. But what if you cant trust the scientist? Real scientists that is, not made for television self proclaimed experts who make the rounds and tell a different story depending on which network is paying them.

Haven't seen this from the WHO. Care to put a link please?

As for scientists and who to believe, anyone mentioning CDC and WHO should be trusted. Dr Oz or anyone who's appeared on his show should not.

15 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

As for scientists and who to believe, anyone mentioning CDC and WHO should be trusted. Dr Oz or anyone who's appeared on his show should not.

This has been reported from several news outlets. Here is a link to the page on the WHO site:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

3 hours ago, alamode123 said:

So back to my original statement of the requirement not to wear a mask as long as your health!  

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.35.02 PM.png