BOSS excursion St. Thomas

Pima1988

We did this last year and all 5 of us really enjoyed it, because it is such a unique experience.  You only get about 15-20 minutes in the scooter because they can only take about 15 people at a time.  It was surprisingly a little hot and humid while in the scooter, but once you get used to that, you can just breathe normally.  The divers take good care of you and try to ensure you're comfortable and having a good time.  If you have your own underwater camera, it makes it even better.  Another good thing, was that I was able to wear my glasses while on the scooter, so I could actually see things clearly, unlike when I go snorkeling.  You do have to be able to swim a few feet out to your assigned scooter, so you still must be able to swim.

@gtgtgt  Thanks in their description they say you go for 30 mins, but I have to be honest I am doing this excursion for my husband, so 15-20 mins is fine for me.  Did you see a lot?  I kind of want to see the sea turtles, but than I am afraid it will freak me out by the size of them.  

They also say that you can snorkel on your own.  Did you or anyone do that too, or did you just sit on the boat looking at water?

Maybe it is closer to 30 minutes -- the time goes pretty fast.  We didn't see a whole lot of fish while on the scooter, except when the divers line you up and attract dozens of fish around you by spreading some chum around.  That is a really cool thing to see.  If you have a camera, the divers will take some good pictures of your group while the fish swim by.  I never saw a turtle on this excursion.

You ride the scooters in a little cove that has some rocks and coral, but nothing great.  They want you in a fairly safe area so that you don't go out to sea and the divers can keep the group under control.  They also don't want you crashing into rocks and coral as each scooter costs about $20,000, according to the captain.  Yes, when your group is not on a scooter, you can jump in the water and snorkel or swim on your own.  We didn't do that, but some people did.  I don't know if the tour provided the masks and flippers or not.