Cancelled June cruise on Liberty

So I have a question... My family and I were all set to go on the Liberty of the Seas June 14th which was cancelled today. I spoke to an agent that said I needed to wait until my email confirming the cancellation in order to try to re book so I needed to call back later. Once my email came in I called back and was told that they can hold rooms for me for 7 days but if I don't get my future cruise credit in those 7 days then my room would be given away I am simply wanting to go on a cruise in August since mine was cancelled but I'm at the mercy of Royal issuing the future credits. I find it silly that I have to wait to get the credit just so I can issue it back to Royal before it will be set in stone that my family can go in August. I'm literally saying keep the credit just move my reservation to a  different date... I'm beyond confused as to why this isn't an option and beyond stressed since this is literally the only other date that my family can cruise for the entire year. This was supposed to be a wedding cruise and a graduation cruise. I understand this is no ones fault and no one asked for this but why even issue me the cruise credit if I just want to move my exact reservation to a later date? Any insight would be great! Thank you!

Sorry, welcome too! 

We are in uncertain times and most of the time on this site, we are happy go lucky.

We are trying to be patient and understanding with Royal but sometimes you have to say to yourself "Really" or "Come On".  

Our FCC's took about 6 weeks and still don't have the Air2Sea airline charges refunded. Wish I had better news than that to give you. We were able to place an extended courtesy hold on a future cruise with another cancelled cruise "FCC's coming", but it expires on May 31, and still have no FCC from the second cancellation.

If you can only sail in August, I’d ask for a refund and be done with it. No guarantee they’ll sail in August. There’s a chance but it’ll likely be the bigger ships going to the Caribbean and private islands. Still a lot of “if’s” 

Hi Katie,

Please don't make a cruise for your family this August a major issue to cause yourself stress.  It is unknown whether cruises will be fully up and running anyway in August.  You also may want to wait a bit to see how CDC requirements affect cruise ship processes (e.g., masks everywhere, no buffet, room service only?).

I missed my April Easter/special birthday cruise (cancelled in mid-March) and have still not seen a dime of my refund. I did not choose FCC because I want to keep all options open and may choose to go with another cruise line instead.  It was a quiet time at home but I was safe.

This has been a year of complete uncertainty, and we must give thanks for our good health and our ability to afford cruising.

My recommendation would be rather than book a cruise far in advance, just be flexible and see if something else will suit as a vacation as you move into July.  Then next year if we have an all clear, take two cruises!

• Matt changed the title to Cancelled June cruise on Liberty

Welcome to the boards@Katie M !

First question, who did you book this cruise with? Directly with RC? Travel agent? Website?

17 hours ago, Katie M said:

I am simply wanting to go on a cruise in August since mine was cancelled but I'm at the mercy of Royal issuing the future credits

With this in mind, you're right that you have to wait to get the credit to apply it to the reservation.

My advice is work with a good travel agent from this point forward.  Not only will this take a great burden off your shoulders, it should make the rebooking process a heck of a lot simpler.

I recommend, and personally use, MEI Travel (note: they are a sponsor of this site).

I am in the same situation- had a graduation cruise scheduled for May 11 that got cancelled. It took around 21-35 days for me to receive my FCC after it was cancelled, so about 5 days after I was supposed to sail, and I was already looking at cruises before then. The rep I spoke to on the phone told me that I could have a hold on a cruise for 7 days, and after the seven days I could call and renew it unless the ship had filled up too much. Maybe that is an option? Have you heard of Lift & Shift? I know that summer of 2021 may not be an option, but the latest email regarding July 31st cancellation had the Lift & Shift explanation on there (moving dates of the same cruise). 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:22 PM, Jill said:

If you can only sail in August, I’d ask for a refund and be done with it. No guarantee they’ll sail in August. There’s a chance but it’ll likely be the bigger ships going to the Caribbean and private islands. Still a lot of “if’s” 

@Jill Once you have a FCC, you cannot switch it for a refund. I tried last night and it is FCC only, which I was upset about at first, however this makes sense on the bookkeeping and accounting side of things when it comes to YE statements to stockholders and investors. But I do wish I could've opted for a refund the second time a cruise cancelled on me ? 

I also inquired about refunds, and according to them they have been working on 100% refunds first, and then refunds related to FCC. I was told that my refund from my first cruise (May 11) was sent to my bank for processing on May 20, and that the refund for the June 29th cruise would be processed shortly after that, so another 10 days and I should see it on my card, otherwise I should call back. They are experiencing thousands of calls a day in addition to sending out refunds and FCC's. I get upset when I think about the delay, but I'd rather them take longer to do it right the first time than rush them out and then there's some careless error on their end. 

If you're having issues getting through, call during late hours. I stay up and call between 10pm and 11pm and never have a wait time.

8 hours ago, RCIDreamer96 said:

I am in the same situation- had a graduation cruise scheduled for May 11 that got cancelled. It took around 21-35 days for me to receive my FCC after it was cancelled, so about 5 days after I was supposed to sail, and I was already looking at cruises before then. The rep I spoke to on the phone told me that I could have a hold on a cruise for 7 days, and after the seven days I could call and renew it unless the ship had filled up too much. Maybe that is an option? Have you heard of Lift & Shift? I know that summer of 2021 may not be an option, but the latest email regarding July 31st cancellation had the Lift & Shift explanation on there (moving dates of the same cruise). 

@Jill Once you have a FCC, you cannot switch it for a refund. I tried last night and it is FCC only, which I was upset about at first, however this makes sense on the bookkeeping and accounting side of things when it comes to YE statements to stockholders and investors. But I do wish I could've opted for a refund the second time a cruise cancelled on me ? 

I also inquired about refunds, and according to them they have been working on 100% refunds first, and then refunds related to FCC. I was told that my refund from my first cruise (May 11) was sent to my bank for processing on May 20, and that the refund for the June 29th cruise would be processed shortly after that, so another 10 days and I should see it on my card, otherwise I should call back. They are experiencing thousands of calls a day in addition to sending out refunds and FCC's. I get upset when I think about the delay, but I'd rather them take longer to do it right the first time than rush them out and then there's some careless error on their end. 

If you're having issues getting through, call during late hours. I stay up and call between 10pm and 11pm and never have a wait time.

According to this, (@matt blog) you can exchange your FCC for a refund: 

Credits recieved from the third set of impacted sailings must be redeemed by January 1, 2021 and sail by April 30, 2022. In addition, the deadline to request to change a future cruise credit to a refund deadline is December 31, 2020. 

Full blog here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/03/16/royal-caribbean-future-cruise-credit-what-you-need-know