Lift and Ship-GTY Cabin question

Bummer about RCI cancelling all sailing through 7/31. 

Another question about Lift and Ship.  Someone told me they had an issue moving a Guarantee cabin at same rate.

Two of our sailings are Guaranteed JS.   If we L & S to same itinerary a year later, are we

1>able to move to the GTY JS at same rate as our current booking

2> do we need to move the GTY to an actual cabin # for additional cost and then L & S?

I'm hoping the answer is #1 but would like confirmation. 

I would suggest asking your TA. but why would a GTY matter? IMO it would work out better for a L&S because they would be able to sell better located cabins for regular price. However, L&S doesn't apply to cancelled cruises and is subjected to a lot of criteria.

Update: Seems they are allowing it to apply to cruises that were cancelled this morning. It still must be a year later in that 4+/- week range.

Was in this exact situation.  They did L&S my GTY Suite reservation, even though it wasn't even an option on the August 2021 itineraries I was eligible for.  Original rep said they couldn't do it.  Took my TA two days and literal hours on hold to finally get a hold of a supervisor, but long story short, they were able to do it.

Lift & Shift is a joke.  We had 3 back to back Mediterranean and transatlantic cruises scheduled for October.  Tried to do the lift & shift to next October —same ship, same number days, leaving from same port, listed as Greek Isles and Adriatic. However, since RC changed the ports that were being visited, it wasn’t considered “similar” for the program.  It’s just a PR ploy in my opinion.

1 hour ago, K&L said:

Lift & Shift is a joke.  We had 3 back to back Mediterranean and transatlantic cruises scheduled for October.  Tried to do the lift & shift to next October —same ship, same number days, leaving from same port, listed as Greek Isles and Adriatic. However, since RC changed the ports that were being visited, it wasn’t considered “similar” for the program.  It’s just a PR ploy in my opinion.

I'd have your TA call back & ask for a supervisor if necessary.  As with all things RCI, if the 1st rep. doesn't give you the "right" answer, there's a decent chance the next one will!  Good luck!

@K&L A B3B trans might be hard to do given how much the ports have changed...however this doesn't sound right. My Oct Liberty was a western Caribbean..Jamaica, Mexico and Cayman. My L&S was a western Caribbean ...Bahamas, Jamaica, Haiti and Cococay on Allure. So not only were the ports very different, so is the ship (Freedom class to Oasis class) and location (Galveston to Port Canaveral). I think it might be a possibility they don't have 3 Med and trans available due to logistics. If I wanted to L&S my Mariner to 2021 I will have to settle for Indy over Mariner because she goes to 5N instead of 4.

I also wholeheartedly agree, have said from the beginning, that L&S is a ploy. I have believed it was a way RCCI doesn't have to do any more refunds and a way to gauge consumer confidence. If a whole bunch of cruisers shift their June-?Dec? 2020 cruises, RCCI has all those deposits. It will bolster there financial quarters, making 2021 look good.

We did our L&S from October 8 2020 to October 14 2021.  I think the same (mostly) ports are there; however, we were on the Adventure and now we will be on the Freedom. Do you have a TA or did you do it all yourself?  I wish you luck in getting it all resolved.  It may take lots of different phone calls to finally get to someone that will be willing to work with you.

Just used that "ploy" to Lift & Shift only customer who has asked to use it. Summer of 2021 on Symphony instead of 2020 on Harmony. One call, great rep and no complications. 

Not a total optimist though, refund process still a nightmare for my customers and my own travel.

We are using a travel agent.    We thought we could use it for the same amount of nights, same departure port, and same 4 week window (in 2022) but they rejected it because we went from Caribbean to Southern Caribbean.   So we found another 8 night cruise leaving from same port, same itinerary, same 4 week window (in 2022) but our TA said we would have to pay $400 more to keep our JS but hasn't clarified why.

I told TA to ask for a supervisor.  

Can I call Royal myself?

13 hours ago, Va4fam said:

rejected it because we went from Caribbean to Southern Caribbean

That's rather surprising to me that they would split hairs like that.

So we found another 8 night cruise leaving from same port, same itinerary, same 4 week window (in 2022) but our TA said we would have to pay $400 more to keep our JS but hasn't clarified why.

That seems wrong that you'd have to pay more (assuming you're in a JS right now).  Not a JS guarantee, right?

Can I call Royal myself?

No, since you're using a TA, the TA has to manage the reservation.

For the lift and shift I am pretty sure I saw that Thanksgiving is not excluded.  Can anyone confirm that I did see that and its not just wishful thinking?  There is a chance that we take advantage of the offer.  I would like to make sure I have the proper information when laying out options to my family.  I am hoping that we do not need to do this.  We have already had one vacation canceled due to this virus.

Hi @Matt.   Thanks for your helpful responses.   We are currently in a GTY JS and trying to move to GTY JS the next year.  

Is RCI allowing GTY reservations to remain intact and moved via L & S with no additional changes or charges?

Have not received confirmation from TA if we can do that or will have to change the reservation from GTY to an actual cabin.

The first cruise we tried to L & S was an 8 night Empress sailing from Miami to San Juan, DR, Tortola, and St. Thomas, and we tried to move it to Odyssey in 2022  for 8 nights from Miami to Grand Cayman, Curacao, and Aruba.   Our TA said it was not allowed because the new itinerary was significantly changed from Caribbean to Southern Caribbean.

@DublinFC  If you are already scheduled for a holiday cruise, like Christmas or Thanksgiving then you can L&S. But you cannot go from an October cruise to a thanksgiving cruise.

@Va4fam That would go against the rule of same product...a basic Caribbean to a south Caribbean. So it is not as much about splitting hairs as it is about not meeting criteria. Also a GTY should not be an issue.

1 hour ago, Va4fam said:

Is RCI allowing GTY reservations to remain intact and moved via L & S with no additional changes or charges?

Have not received confirmation from TA if we can do that or will have to change the reservation from GTY to an actual cabin.

This is exactly what I did, and mine was even more "questionable" than your situation because I upgraded my oceanview to a JS GTY on my 08/2020 cruise because it was so cheap, THEN did a Lift & Shift to 2021.  Took 3 calls and a supervisor for my TA to get it done, but I'm here to tell you that they CAN get it done! 

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 12.49.40 PM.png

Just now, Va4fam said:

Thanks @USCG Teacher.....glad you were successful.   We  booked a similar trip on Oasi (Oct 20) for a GTY JS.   Haven't decided if we are using L & S for that one........... yet.  Not feeling good about cruises from Bayonne this fall.

Had much the same feeling about August!  ? Good luck to you whatever you end up doing!

My booking is GTY interior for 4 people and would like to L&S to next year Oct 2021. 

I spoke to RC and they said I met all the criteria for L&S except the stateroom category as there is no GTY available yet for next year harmony of the seas. Therefore I cannot transfer my booking to next year.

Anyone have the same issue? 

21 hours ago, GNW said:

My booking is GTY interior for 4 people and would like to L&S to next year Oct 2021. 

I spoke to RC and they said I met all the criteria for L&S except the stateroom category as there is no GTY available yet for next year harmony of the seas. Therefore I cannot transfer my booking to next year.

I do believe that your exact category room has to be available. We were booked in a 2 BDRM Grand Suite and when we L&S’d there was only one Saliing  in the 8 week window we could L&S to due to our room not being available on the other sailings. Needless to say we grabbed it even though we preferred another date. You may want to see if your category room is available on any sailings during the 8 week period you can L&S to.

22 hours ago, GNW said:

My Lift and Ship is not going well.  Something that should have been simple, right?

Spent over 80 minutes on the phone this morning with my TA and they put RCI rep on the phone.

They will not allow me to Lift & Ship my Feb 2021 8 night Empress sailing to Feb 2022 8 night Jewel sailing with the exact same itinerary.   They are stating that there is no such category (JS GTY) for the new sailing and now insisting I move to a 7 night Oasis sailing with different ports.   The RCI rep also shared the supervisors told them exceptions will no longer be made as of yesterday.

My real frustration is with my TA that significantly dropped the ball and did not make our request last week or return our emails since last Friday.  

Probably time for me to "Washy Washy" the whole experience and move on.

Better luck to everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, was there any updates to these attempts to get RCI to Lift and Shift "Guaranteed" stateroom categories.  I am having the problem.  Am booked on Allure of the Seas on 9th Aug from Barcelona with a guaranteed ocean view balcony. I've called a couple of times this week to discuss my options as I am almost certain it will not sail.  I was offered lift and shift to same itinerary in 12 months so today I requested to go head to rebook on Harmony of the Seas (everything else identical) in Aug 21. All was going well until I was advised there were no guaranteed balcony rooms available.  I spent 45 mins on the phone whilst the advisor spoke to her supervisor and then they advised me it would be a £1300 upgrade if I wanted to book it.  There are clearly hundreds of balcony rooms available, but no guaranteed balcony rooms so they would not swop it like for like. After 45 mins on the phone Royal cut me off.

Now I am left with either paying the full balance and hoping for a refund (as I do not want to go on Allure without the Amplification) or take my £600 deposit as FCC.

26 minutes ago, PieEater said:

Hi, was there any updates to these attempts to get RCI to Lift and Shift "Guaranteed" stateroom categories.  I am having the problem.  Am booked on Allure of the Seas on 9th Aug from Barcelona with a guaranteed ocean view balcony. I've called a couple of times this week to discuss my options as I am almost certain it will not sail.  I was offered lift and shift to same itinerary in 12 months so today I requested to go head to rebook on Harmony of the Seas (everything else identical) in Aug 21. All was going well until I was advised there were no guaranteed balcony rooms available.  I spent 45 mins on the phone whilst the advisor spoke to her supervisor and then they advised me it would be a £1300 upgrade if I wanted to book it.  There are clearly hundreds of balcony rooms available, but no guaranteed balcony rooms so they would not swop it like for like. After 45 mins on the phone Royal cut me off.

Now I am left with either paying the full balance and hoping for a refund (as I do not want to go on Allure without the Amplification) or take my £600 deposit as FCC.

Is it $1300 to upgrade original cruise room to balcony of specific room and then L&S?