Royal Announced Canceling of Sailings through End of July

• AlexWinters changed the title to Royal Announced Canceling of Sailings through End of July
Just now, Mike Stephens said:

Do you think they will do it again for August?  I have an August 23rd out of Cape Liberty....its looking pretty fooking bleak ?

Mike, I have the August 16th out of Cape Liberty... I wish I were more confident but I’m hopeful

I'm on the Symphony of the Seas out of Miami on 8/22.  Our final payment is due this Friday and because they haven't cancelled the cruise, I have to pay it - which I'm not complaining about.  I'm hoping it will go, but I don't think it will.  It would have been our first ever cruise and I booked it at the beginning of 2019, I'm so disappointed.  We will likely reschedule but I'm thinking it may be another 2 years before we can get on anything - I've heard other folks having a lot of difficulty rescheduling because all the openings have been booked.

So this statement was copied and pasted from the front page of this blog

"For those currently confirmed on sailings departing June 12–July 31, 2020, and not previously cancelled under our Cruise with Confidence offer, a few options have been prepared for consideration."

Was this statement from Royal or another source?   Really interesting about the "a few options have been prepared for consideration"

This quote was a slight glimmer of hope for big ships....

One of the questions asked was if bigger or smaller ships made more sense to start cruising first, and Mr. Liberty talked about how bigger ships are better situated to handle the demands, both financially and socially.

"Load factors can be lower because they have great economies of scale, they're extremely fuel efficient, and the cabin cabin category makes it very rich. Really more broadly within the fleet, public space per berth is very good. But certainly the newer ships have more public space per passenger. And would be heavily in consideration for the return to service, as well as other ships that we've modernized and having more venues on to."

I'm booked for Aug 1 on Symphony.   I can tell you I do not feel good about this at all.

The idea of being on a 7 day cruise wearing a face mask is not my idea of enjoying myself.  I certainly do not want to be surrounded by people who won't be wearing masks either.  Furthermore, I do not want to be their guinea pig.   This is a nightmare to me.

I want my money back in cash, not a future credit.  My family with whom my husband and myself were booked cannot find a time in the future when we can get together again.

Based off of the many talks with RCCI bigheads, I doubt most of August and September cruises will commence. This blog stated that newer ships have a higher breakeven score 30% capacity versus 50% or higher. I can see there being 1 or non Freedom or Voyager class ships being used this year, as they may not be worth it. I can see Oasis and Quantum class ships, only, being in use for the remainder of 2021. USA/Canada borders will open August 1st...possibly....Symphony may sail but ports will be limited. While certain EU and Asian countries are opening, it won't be to everyone. Some may require immunity passports or 14 day quarantines...most will require mask. Personally once I saw that restaurants in Chicago would be under a limit capacity plan until Jan,  I gave up any hope of sailing like we once did until next year.

My related question regards the quote below...if Oasis does somehow go out from NJ to Bahamas August 23rd, so we HAVE to self-quarantine?  If yes, I'd have to cancel anyway...won't have enough days for a final cruise in a junior suite on Lady G in November..... ?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-global

On 5/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Mike Stephens said:

This quote was a slight glimmer of hope for big ships....

One of the questions asked was if bigger or smaller ships made more sense to start cruising first, and Mr. Liberty talked about how bigger ships are better situated to handle the demands, both financially and socially.

"Load factors can be lower because they have great economies of scale, they're extremely fuel efficient, and the cabin cabin category makes it very rich. Really more broadly within the fleet, public space per berth is very good. But certainly the newer ships have more public space per passenger. And would be heavily in consideration for the return to service, as well as other ships that we've modernized and having more venues on to."

I am on Enchantment of the Seas (old, extended Vision class ship) on 9/25/2020.  I first had hope because it and the Liberty of the Seas sailed out of Galveston (a state starting up with Carnival on 8/1/2020 as well).....but this statement makes me really sad......Hopefully, I am wrong and things get going in time.

J

3 hours ago, DViz said:

I'm booked for Aug 1 on Symphony.   I can tell you I do not feel good about this at all.

The idea of being on a 7 day cruise wearing a face mask is not my idea of enjoying myself.  I certainly do not want to be surrounded by people who won't be wearing masks either.  Furthermore, I do not want to be their guinea pig.   This is a nightmare to me.

I want my money back in cash, not a future credit.  My family with whom my husband and myself were booked cannot find a time in the future when we can get together again.

I’m also on this cruise and am slightly uncomfortable with being among the first to cruise under questionable conditions (assuming we sail) but I am brave !  Somebody has to be first !

15 hours ago, DViz said:

What will their policy be about wearing masks?  Surely you can't enjoy a cruise with masks on all the time.  How would I ever enjoy my drink package?

This is exactly why when my in-laws asked if we wanted to reschedule our June cruise on Oasis (with our 3 year old) we said no without hesitation (thus cancelling altogether). We almost exclusively eat at WJ, and we don't find fighting with a 3 yr old to wear his mask when needed as an enjoyable vacation. The wife and I may cruise first at some point and assess the situation before bringing our kid again. 

I find it hard to believe they will limit passengers once they start up. Question, how would this be done. If the ships are fully booked or close, are they going to randomly pick passengers to remove. I would think if they were going to limit passengers, there would be ships that would be considered ¨full¨ (not full, but full re: new number of passengers allowed) They would be limiting bookings now. Just a thought. Sorry if this sounds confusing. Still just hope all is sorted out ASAP like everybody else.

I don't find it hard to believe they will limit passengers. I do believe they will sail again this year but not before September, I think it will only be Oasis and Quantum class. My reason is they have the most amount of space, so they can safely say they are practicing social distancing. All eyes are on the cruise lines because they got a bad rep, thanks 'rona, so they must be beyond reproach. I believe many people are looking at cruising through cruisers eyes, lol. I remember reading awhile back that almost 50% of pax are new cruisers, with the rest being loyalist and returning. Most of the world has no intention of cruising this year. Based on the cruise contract, you can tell they are not in the habit of cancelling. So they have continued to follow the status quo. The CEO said bookings are up for 2021, so I am pretty sure he knows 2020 is a lost cause...hence why they introduced L&S. They have now basically implemented software and protocol to eventually merge and change itineraries.

The last thing they want to do make more cancellations, so they will have to reconfigure the rest of 2020. I doubt any of the older, smaller ships will sail, instead they will create itineraries on the larger ships. Transferring Ovation to pick up some slack since Alaska/Australia aren't really happening. Maybe even moving Asian based ships so they can maximize profit. 5-8 ships that can handle 5,000+ pax running at 65-70% would be better than the alternative. As far as how is as easy as moving the currently booked pax to one of the new itineraries and stopping the booking when they reach 75%. Unlike Universal studios, cruise ships cannot just put up signs saying "catch Coronavirus at your own risk" so they will have to follow a new set of protocols if they want to survive.