Crown and anchor points

Welcome to the message boards.

I've seen sentiment for both sides of the discussion. 

Since refunds or FCC have been granted I can understand the argument against it.  If I had been granted points for my lost transatlantic solo I would have 24 points.  If I then booked a future transatlantic using the same funds I would gain another 24 points for a total of 48 points.  That's a lot of points for the price of one cruise.  If I had been in a suite it would be 72 points.  That's almost granting Diamond status for a single cruise so I can understand the argument against it.  

Personally I think they should have offered points for anyone choosing FCC as a means to motivate people not to seek refunds.  The problem is it becomes complicated for solo or suites and if they start creating rules to cap it or deviate from the normal allotment of points then some people lose and others win creating ill will, animosity and endless arguments.  That's not what a loyalty program is there for.

In the end the safest course of action is to stick to the established policy and rules.  If your head isn't sleeping on a Royal Caribbean pillow you don't earn points, just like the airlines and like most other loyalty programs.  

This pandemic is truly awful and has impacted so many in dreadful ways.  Royal did nothing to bring on the pandemic, it's not their doing.  While I would always enjoy free points I have a hard time justifying an expectation that I should be awarded points for cruises I didn't sail that were cancelled not by Royal's hand but by forces out of their control that required cruise lines to shut down.  

Interesting.  Just saw @Matt post this in the insiders FB group.

Looks like SilverSea will be offering double points where FCC is used for the new booking.  SilverSea is an RCCL brand.

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

EXCLUSIVE VENETIAN SOCIETY CRUISE DAYS: On voyages cancelled by Silversea due to Covid-19 from March 1, 2020 onward Venetian Society members will accumulate VS days on the cancelled voyage as well as on the new booked with the FCC, when they book by June 30, 2020. ^

^ The double Venetian Society Days promotion is only applicable to FCC associated to cruises cancelled by Silversea. The guest will accumulate Venetian Society days of the original cancelled booking and the ones associated with the new booking, in case the new booking is done within June 30, 2020. It is combinable with all public fares and promotions excluding reduced rates and net deals. Only eligible for the Guests included in the original booking. Other restrictions may apply.

I disagree about getting extra points for cancelled sailings.

First, it will dilute the program.  Think of it like inflation for C&A points.

Second, and more importantly, this is a situation out of RC's hands and I don't think cruisers need to be "coddled" with points as a means of making us feel better about the cruises being cancelled.

If this were a logistic gaffe and RC messed up (like the $18 drink package), yes, I can see where it makes sense for them to try to make it better.  But this is a global issue and RC is along for the ride.