Travel Insurance

I think travel insurance is a personal decision based on risk tolerance, but it is primarily beneficial for if something occurs during your cruise.

You shouldn't get travel insurance for the covid-19 related issues as most, if not all, plans do not cover it.

Travel insurance is very limited in what it covers if you decide to cancel and cancel for any reason insurance doesn't usually cover the full cost if you do cancel.  The benefit of travel insurance is definitely if something happens to you on the cruise or sometimes even on the way to the cruise.

You have to look at from a standpoint of risk. We use third party insurers and find a rate that covers what we find to be most important. For example, we typically cruise from Galveston, about a 40 minute drive. So I don't need insurance that covers flights, hotels, rental cars, etc... But when I travel with 4 mini crazy people I live with, accidents and injuries are a possibility. So I focus on a policy that covers heavy on the medical,  less on the cost recuperation  or lost baggage. This would change if we were to travel to another port, we would look at a different level of coverage. Booking 3rd party lets me pick and choose better what coverage I want with all the variables attached. And it's cheaper the than the version the cruiselines typically offer.