Royal Crew protest erupts

8 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Self isolating in your home is completely different than self isolating in a 10’ x 15’ room with no windows.  

As far as getting home?  Carnival has already figured out a way to get all their crews home minus the bare minimum to keep the ships running at sea.  That was over a month ago too.

The country’s are closed to foreigners, but if you are a citizen of that country you are allowed in as long as you self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.  

As far as work, I get it.  Most of their home country’s don’t have much work, but at least they have the opportunity to do something to feed their families and pay their rent.  Being stuck on a prison ship with zero pay is far worse than making $3 a day doing whatever job they can find.  

We all know the pay is significantly better on a cruise ship than most jobs they can get at home, but with zero pay and the “go home” plans being pushed further and further back daily, don’t you think you would at least like the freedom to work any job for any pay??? 

They are stuck at Sea because RCCL won’t pony up the money to get them home.  We are living in a fantasy world if any of us think that cruising will resume before Aug 1st.  They want to keep them on board so they can start bringing in money again as soon as the CDC allows.  That being said how pleasant do you think your on board experience is going to be with crew that have been held prisoner for 4.5 months with zero pay? 

Everything I can find on repatriation pits the amount of crew sent home to be relatively equal amongst the different lines. Carnival isn’t doing a significant deal better than RCI. 

The statement on countries being closed only to foreigners just isn’t true, plenty of reports of countries turning away their countrymen. 

the accusation that they are being kept onboard to allow for a rapid restart of hosting customers is just nonsense. If the crew members contract had concluded they couldn’t be used for customer facing activities even if RCI wanted them to. 

9 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

They are stuck at Sea because RCCL won’t pony up the money to get them home.  They want to keep them on board so they can start bringing in money again as soon as the CDC allows.  That being said how pleasant do you think your on board experience is going to be with crew that have been held prisoner for 4.5 months with zero pay? 

Just because you type it, doesn't mean it's true.

Everyone calm down a little bit... I am just conveying what my friend on board has told me.  His home country’s border is open and yet RCCL won’t get him or anyone else that is allowed in to their respective country home.  

As far as pay, I apologize, I was wrong.  They are still receiving $13/day.

I know everyone on this forum wants to get back on the ships just as bad as I do, all I was trying to say is it’s not like the crew is having the same experience that we do when we go cruising.  I feel bad for them and hope they can get home to their loved ones as soon as possible.  

Crack a cold one and enjoy your day! 

On 5/17/2020 at 7:13 AM, mworkman said:

I've noticed that all your posts have been doom and gloom articles against RCL, Do you not like RCL? 

Or are you a plant for another cruise line trying to sway us that direction, if so, you're not doing well because you haven't advertised that cruise line yet. ?

Might be not like RCL. But there is nothing wrong with it. We like RCL but we like to get both good and bad news about RCL. Bad news help the company move forward.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:20 AM, bobroo said:

You have to want to get them home,

The situation is untenable on all sides, and IMO, the cruise lines are doing what they can do with ever changing rules and multiple sources for them. Assuming they don't want to get crew home when all of the traditional tools have been taken away isn't fair in my view.

There is one very informative YouTube channel that popped up recently on my feed that gives a really good picture of what is going on. It  is run by an officer on the Coral Princess. This was the first video that caught my eye among the several that are really enjoyable and informative. If you recall, his ship was denied entry at their debarkation port of Buenos Aires and had to make its way to Miami for refueling and re-provisioning. There is one other video on his channel where they are transferring crew between the Regal Princess as part of repatriation. 

I think the solution the cruise lines are following is the only effective way to get crew home given that governments are almost zero help with some exceptions that are few and far between.

6 hours ago, Ray said:

I agree Carnival found a way they shipped crew from one ship to another then sailed that ship to a number of destinations, they chartered aircraft and flew them home....

Let's make sure we are talking about Facts here: This was post on May 18. 2020

According to numbers reported by The Miami Herald, the proportion of crews actually repatriated varies by cruise line, ranging from an estimated 23% of Royal Caribbean and 37% of Carnival crew members to 76% of MSC shipboard personnel.

2 hours ago, LeonCA said:

Might be not like RCL. But there is nothing wrong with it. We like RCL but we like to get both good and bad news about RCL. Bad news help the company move forward.

It’s called biased opinion, sorry you can’t see it!  It might change my options if there were something posted that wasn’t negative from the poster in all there posts.

Lets just say, barring the issue of closed borders at some of the workers homes, they did charter planes, trains and automobiles. To do that is going to eat into ten or hundreds of millions, effectively eliminating all extra updates some ships need/people want, to only provide the bare minimum service work. All of these cost would be added to the consumer...bye, bye cheap 7N cruise on Oasis. Bye, bye all the perks many loyalty members get but also complain that they should get more of ...I could go on. Another point is perspective....this is a blog devoted to RCCI and lovers of RCCI so it is 100% bias. Anyone who thinks it will be more negative or err on a neutral path, must be a newbie or troll....that is why places like CC exist.

@LeonCA Bad news doesn't help move a company forward. Business is not show business. Negative press in today's age of click bait creates problems....floating petri-dish anyone? Transparency helps a business to move forward. I personally don't want to come here to read negative, unsubstantiated rumors touted as facts.

https://crew-center.com/crew-open-letter-united-nations-regarding-border-closures-and-cdc-restrictions

• There are approximately 80,000 cruise ship employees and 150,000 cargo ship employees.

CALL TO ACTION:

Firstly, we need the CDC and international port and health authorities to review its cruise line onboard restrictions, to consider how long they have been at sea with little to no exposure, and to loosen up on their requirements of the cruise lines. If they do not do this and they do not bring all cruise ships to at least a level 2, more lives will be lost as crew members lose their ability to cope with the isolation, loneliness, and depression until they can be repatriated. CDC is not treating each ship as an individual, nor recognizing the efforts of some ships that have not had cases and have submitted reasonable action plans for Covid-19.

Secondly, and URGENTLY, we need an international ruling that mandates all countries to accept their own citizens back into their countries regardless of current border restrictions. The blatant refusal of a country to repatriate its own citizens is appalling, it is tearing apart families and causing severe mental health issues (that will eventually become their country and their health systems problem).

Lastly, we need for CDC to lift some of the travel restrictions in place and to enable cruise lines to send crew homes on commercial flights via. The crew have been better isolated, better monitored with their multiple temperature checks per day, and they are living in much more sterile environments than anyone on land. The USA is already allowing commercial flights and international flights are resuming again. Yet, CDC is treating cruise line crew members like an entirely different species.

6 hours ago, Jmccaffrey said:

Let's make sure we are talking about Facts here: This was post on May 18. 2020

According to numbers reported by The Miami Herald, the proportion of crews actually repatriated varies by cruise line, ranging from an estimated 23% of Royal Caribbean and 37% of Carnival crew members to 76% of MSC shipboard personnel.

To be honest after seeing the writer for that rag is a maratime laywer who gos after maratime companies , and the fact these post by RYeo are just designed to cause issues which i said previously i have no interest in anything that rag has to say because they and they writer are not interested in anything not even the welfare of the crew, all its about is how much much can be made from lawsuits and they are not worried who gets hurt while trying to make a buck