Royal Crew protest erupts

Riot-4

63 Days Stuck at Sea: Protest Erupts on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas

By Jim Walker on May 15, 2020
POSTED IN DISEASE

Today, crew members aboard the Majesty of the Seasprotested Royal Caribbean’s latest failure to follow through with its  repatriation of its crew members. Several hundred crew members congregated on the pool deck making signs protesting Royal Caribbean’s refusal to follow through with plans to send the crew members home. The repatriation Riot-2-320x180.jpgplans have reportedly changed at the last minute on five occasions, including three times dating back to last month.

The crew members chanted “send us home” and erected signs saying “Do You Sleep Well Mr. Bayley” (right) referring to the CEO of Royal Caribbean International Michael Bayley who was quoted earlier by the Miami Herald stating that flying crew members home via private charters was “too expensive.” Mr. Bayley collected around $25,000,000 in compensation in the last four years. A second sign (below left) stated “How Many More Suicides Do You Need?” This sign was created in reference to the Death of a Polish engineer who apparently jumped overboard from the Jewel of the Seas and the recent death of a Chinese assistant waiter who died on the Mariner of the Seasearlier this week.

The protest was covered by Miami Herald reporter Taylot Dolven who has closely followed Royal Caribbean’s dilatory conduct.

have written about the failure of cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, to repatriate their crew members in a timely manner several times.  Every major newspaper has covered the story of 75,000 to 100,000 crew members stuck Riot-1-320x285.jpgat sea, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Quartz, The Cut, SFGate, Guardian Fortune, USA TODAY,  ABC News CBS News, CNN, NBC News, Daily Mail  and even FOX News.

The Miami Herald has done an outstanding job of covering this issue and has written about Royal Caribbean’s refusal to acknowledge and agree to comply with the CDC’s guilines for repatriating crew members, Royal Caribbean’s false accusations blaming the CDC for keeping its crew trapped on its ships, Royal Caribbean executives agreeing in principle to the CDC’s terms for repatriating the crew, and its ongoing refusal to repatriate its crew.  The Herald has covered the hunger strike which took place on the Navigator of the Seas due to Royal Caribbean’s unreasonable delays.

As of three days ago, Royal Caribbean had agreed to the CDC’s guidelines and  signed the required acknowledgments for only 20 crew members, all of them U.S. nationals. As of yesterday, Royal Caribbean had increased the number of CDC approved repatriations of only 557 crewmembers, from the U.S., U.K. and the Philippines.

I would not doubt that he (op) is a plant for the attorney(fishing for business) of cruzelewdnewz. I'm not spelling it correctly so it doesn't get additional hits. Further, I wouldn't doubt that these type of lawyers (not the good kind) have incited some of this on the ships. "Hey, (crew member name), get a bunch of your buddies together to create a "protest", have them join my class action, and we (I) can make millions!"

So let me get this correct

They are proresting about being locked on a ship with 100s of fellow crew for company, with food and drink available at no cost, still getting paid their wage, lots of things to do such as games, pool, ice skating etc YET they want home to their countries where they will be in lockdown in their home only talking with those in their household, food and drink will be whats available at local shop they have to que to get into and they wont have wages.....makes a lot of sense

To me this photo is a small group organising a protest and as everyone knows when something is happening others come out to watch, those watching are probably the laundry staff wondering how the hell they are going to get the pen marks off the bed sheets for new guests arriving 

BTW anyone notice its only the Miami newspaper that poster links? Probably works for them and is trying to further their career by looking for negative posts on here 

3 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I would not doubt that he (op) is a plant for the attorney(fishing for business) of cruzelewdnewz. I'm not spelling it correctly so it doesn't get additional hits. Further, I wouldn't doubt that these type of lawyers (not the good kind) have incited some of this on the ships. "Hey, (crew member name), get a bunch of your buddies together to create a "protest", have them join my class action, and we (I) can make millions!"

Yep, @Baked Alaska let’s call him out now. Jimmy we know it’s you, I’m sure there’s some ambulance to be chased in SoFla waiting on you. Also, appropriating an Asian sounding name doesn’t sound very ethical if it is you. 

Why do so many people here have a difficult time for Royal being exposed for doing something obviously wrong? 

It's clear these crew members feel marginalized. Royal has promised to send them back home and has not done so. Their feelings and concerns are valid and true; Royal is very, very wrong. Why attack the poster or the news source?

As a lover of Royal Caribbean, how can you not feel sympathetic for these crew members? Or, do we only appreciate them when they make us a towel animal or bring another drink?

4 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Why do so many people here have a difficult time for Royal being exposed for doing something obviously wrong? 

It's clear these crew members feel marginalized. Royal has promised to send them back home and has not done so. Their feelings and concerns are valid and true; Royal is very, very wrong. Why attack the poster or the news source?

As a lover of Royal Caribbean, how can you not feel sympathetic for these crew members? Or, do we only appreciate them when they make us a towel animal or bring another drink?

The posting pattern is clearly one of a troll. In this case it looks like an attorney who has been doing this for years, well before any of this. 
It’s not that we don’t feel sympathetic, but to assume that Royal is the only at fault is shortsighted. The mechanisms for getting crew back home have existed for decades and were taken away as well as the normal capacity for getting them home. Normally crew are changed out in a rolling basis, so there’s not 750 heading back to Manila at once, there might be five to 10. Also, many of them are on still valid contracts, where they agreed to six months at sea or sometimes more. 

2 hours ago, Ray said:

how would you get them home? 

Exactly!  They aren't allowed to take commercial flights home from the US, so Royal has to logistically figure out what the best way is to get them home.  They have to coordinate to figure out what foreign ports will allow the ship to dock that also will have airports where they can fly these chartered flights home.  When you've got crew from all over the world, it isn't like they can just charter a single flight to get everyone home.  I'm sure the communication may not be the best for some of the crew that have been waiting to go home.  They will hear plans change time and time again as the cruise lines (and it's not just Royal!) have to change their plans.  They may not realize the issues that these ships face and the fact that international travel is restricted in a lot of places right now and that includes most of the major hubs that the crew members would go through before splitting off to their smaller home cities.

Having worked abroad and had workers from Asia ( Ph, India , Pakistan etc ) employed on 2 year contracts with only 1 day off a week,  passports taken off them so they couldnt go home, living in buildings that could only be descibed as worse than a slum or ghetto for pay that was roughly $200 per month and they were HAPPY, i very much doubt its these employees that are causing the issues

Also crew from india and PH know that even if they get off ships they cannot get home due to no flights into their countries even chartered.

To me this is Western Crew ( Europe / North America) looking to get a big pay day from lawsuits 

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Exactly!  They aren't allowed to take commercial flights home from the US, so Royal has to logistically figure out what the best way is to get them home.  They have to coordinate to figure out what foreign ports will allow the ship to dock that also will have airports where they can fly these chartered flights home.  When you've got crew from all over the world, it isn't like they can just charter a single flight to get everyone home.  I'm sure the communication may not be the best for some of the crew that have been waiting to go home.  They will hear plans change time and time again as the cruise lines (and it's not just Royal!) have to change their plans.  They may not realize the issues that these ships face and the fact that international travel is restricted in a lot of places right now and that includes most of the major hubs that the crew members would go through before splitting off to their smaller home cities.

They aren’t even allowed to stay in a hotel till a charter flight is available, nor can they get in a cab or use any public transit. 

55 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

And not all crew members share the same sentiment.  I've been following Riley's YouTube.  He's from Alaska and has been stuck on Quantum.  They ended his contract during the shutdown and he isn't getting paid, but he's keeping a great attitude!  

He did a good interview with Emma over at cruisingisntjustforoldpeople earlier today as well. 

13 hours ago, R yeo said:

Riot-4

63 Days Stuck at Sea: Protest Erupts on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas

By Jim Walker on May 15, 2020
POSTED IN DISEASE

Today, crew members aboard the Majesty of the Seasprotested Royal Caribbean’s latest failure to follow through with its  repatriation of its crew members. Several hundred crew members congregated on the pool deck making signs protesting Royal Caribbean’s refusal to follow through with plans to send the crew members home. The repatriation Riot-2-320x180.jpgplans have reportedly changed at the last minute on five occasions, including three times dating back to last month.

The crew members chanted “send us home” and erected signs saying “Do You Sleep Well Mr. Bayley” (right) referring to the CEO of Royal Caribbean International Michael Bayley who was quoted earlier by the Miami Herald stating that flying crew members home via private charters was “too expensive.” Mr. Bayley collected around $25,000,000 in compensation in the last four years. A second sign (below left) stated “How Many More Suicides Do You Need?” This sign was created in reference to the Death of a Polish engineer who apparently jumped overboard from the Jewel of the Seas and the recent death of a Chinese assistant waiter who died on the Mariner of the Seasearlier this week.

The protest was covered by Miami Herald reporter Taylot Dolven who has closely followed Royal Caribbean’s dilatory conduct.

have written about the failure of cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, to repatriate their crew members in a timely manner several times.  Every major newspaper has covered the story of 75,000 to 100,000 crew members stuck Riot-1-320x285.jpgat sea, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Quartz, The Cut, SFGate, Guardian Fortune, USA TODAY,  ABC News CBS News, CNN, NBC News, Daily Mail  and even FOX News.

The Miami Herald has done an outstanding job of covering this issue and has written about Royal Caribbean’s refusal to acknowledge and agree to comply with the CDC’s guilines for repatriating crew members, Royal Caribbean’s false accusations blaming the CDC for keeping its crew trapped on its ships, Royal Caribbean executives agreeing in principle to the CDC’s terms for repatriating the crew, and its ongoing refusal to repatriate its crew.  The Herald has covered the hunger strike which took place on the Navigator of the Seas due to Royal Caribbean’s unreasonable delays.

As of three days ago, Royal Caribbean had agreed to the CDC’s guidelines and  signed the required acknowledgments for only 20 crew members, all of them U.S. nationals. As of yesterday, Royal Caribbean had increased the number of CDC approved repatriations of only 557 crewmembers, from the U.S., U.K. and the Philippines.

I might add, the term "erupts" seems a bit harsh.  I don't see a single torch.  No pitch forks.  Heck, I don't even see anyone shaking a fist.  

I know that I may be a bit "touched"  but as crazy as things are out here I would love to be on a ship with people that you know do not have the disease, have a lighter work schedule and have the run of the ship.  I know that the routine would get old but it is also getting old here in Virginia only being able to go to places that have been deemed necessary.  At least on the ship I would not have to head out and look high and low searching for hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and disinfectant!!

I will say that I understand that they can be a bit angry at the moment but they also need to look at the big picture and realize how hard it is for RCCL to get them home during this worldwide crisis.  I can understand their anger if they have loved ones at home that are dying but if everyone is ok and life at home is fine then relax a bit and stay safe.  

:35_thinking: this looked very much staged. I think the first picture is of an announcement, nobody looks rough or ruffled. I believe one or two people made those sheets signs and took photos. I cannot imagine any workers from third world countries being upset at their treatment. We, with milk and honey at our fingertips, like to put our expectations on others. Scumbag lawyers live for times like these.

I have been on enough cruises and to enough places outside the USA/UK to know that many people fight for these jobs. Some of these cruise workers make more in a year than people might in a lifetime in their countries. I talked to a guy on our Egyptian cruise who said his 6 months of work on the river paid for his entire family of like 20. He missed his children sure, but they wouldn't be able to afford much if he didn't work.

I could certainly imagine being upset if I was stuck onboard. I'm not saying it is Royal's 'fault' but if you are the crew member wanting to get home then your frustration is naturally going to be directed there. Many aren't getting paid and that means no money going home etc nor a chance to look for work at home etc (as successful as that may or may not be). While I am sure they are being well looked after on board again they have lost their freedom and can't get off the ship. I can certainly imagine how frustrated that would make me. What could Royal do about it? Probably not a lot but it is understandable there would would be frustration.  

I can sympathize with the crew a little bit. It’s not the situation per se that is frustrating, it’s the not knowing and where it ends. I’ve been out of work since March 16th and at first it was ok, but it’s really dragging on now and irritating as we wait for word when we can go back to work. You know it’s coming , but it’s the not knowing that is bothersome and irritating. And, add on that being stuck on a ship and not everyone is going to be happy about that. To the crew it’s a job and not all fun and games like travelers that sign up for a week of travel.

I’m sure if you are stuck on a ship as other travelers with COVID cases and quarantined for weeks on end you might feel differently about your captivity. I know I would!

I also can sympathize with the crew in reference to being 'stuck' onboard.  It has to be frustrating, especially being away from family during such a tough time, and for many, not earning salaries that their families need during such a time.   I think that some of their frustration is probably because management hasn't conveyed how hard they are working on repatriating the crews, and not sharing info readily is pretty common for large companies.  If RCI shared more info with those on the ships, I really think there would be less of what is occurring in these pics.

That said, this is a publicity stunt, and I have no doubt the sleazy lawyer is chomping at the bit right now.  

As far as the OP goes, I personally do a lot of quietly reading here, instead of posting, as anyone can tell by my count.  But someone who posts only negative news stories has an agenda.  ?

I can only imagine the complexities that cruise lines are facing as they attempt to repatriate crew.  The CDC has not made it easy, requiring no commercial flights be used and only charter flights for crew departing the U.S. for anywhere, including domestic destinations.  Spain recently refused to allow Allure with just 300 Europeans on board to enter a port.  

Take what the CDC and Spain are doing and multiply it by the 60 to 80 nations that are typically represented on board, then factor in very few international flights that are available.  U.S. and other airlines have grounded the bulk of their international fleets.  Each nation has it own rules and policies that when aggregated into a whole make it virtually impossible to satisfy, but let's just pretend there is no virus and complain because they are on a ship with everything provided for their well being.

You don't have to look very far to find stories that are oblivious that there is pandemic or the extent that the pandemic has impacted daily life for so many.  This is another one of them.  Over 315,000 dead worldwide but let's expect international flights to operate like they did before the pandemic.  Hundreds of millions of people have lost their jobs worldwide but let's pretend everything is business as usual.  Millions of people dealing with lost family members, a husband, wife, mother, father, brother, daughter, aunt, uncle, grandfather, grandmother, cousin or simply a beloved friend.  

It's about me and only me, that is what this story is about.  Forget that hundreds of millions have been impacted in devastating ways, it's all about me.  

18 hours ago, Ray said:

how would you get them home? 

You have to want to get them home, like calling Royal Caribbean to get an issue taken care of; you have to be persistent. Like a James Van Fleet weather forecast, you have to be honest and frank. Like James Van Fleet, daily briefings and frequent updates will go a long way. Van Fleet uses a bunch of social media to get his word out. In short, honest communication will go a long way with the stranded crew if Royal is in fact trying. Today, Royal Caribbean is not trying.

CDC mandates??? How about turning your negatives around into positives??? How about leadership and guidance??? This whole maritime platform is based on leadership, seniority, and wisdom; well.....I'm expecting brilliance out of highly paid people with stripes on their shoulders and corner offices in Miami and so far I'm not getting any.

If I was the zookeeper I would clean the floating petri dish to the point it was a germ free environment. I would test everyone aboard twice a day. I would implement platforms and activities so that those onboard do things. I would start with the easy stuff, how can we do the dances that are done during the sail away? How can these people go to the main theater and watch a movie or a performance? How can we let them on the pool deck and occupy a lounge chair for an hour? How can we feed them all together? It means changing behaviors, it means changing norms. 

Instead of saying we'll just let our boat and the staff linger on some ocean; I would create a space and protocols that make a cruise ship better and safer than being on land. Someone disembarking from one of my cruise ships would be welcome in any country, in any airplane, or at any hotel. The relative few staff that are onboard would be my guinea pig, a nice small sample size to work with to establish how life and activities on future sailings might be preformed for when we pack the boat with 5,000 passengers.

Imagine....people wanting to get on a cruise ship because it is a better, safer place than where they are at??? Whoa...

Doing so requires leadership. It means changing things and implementing practices that other companies and institutions will look at see are a successful path going forward. It means being a pinnacle.

6 minutes ago, bobroo said:

You have to want to get them home, like calling Royal Caribbean to get an issue taken care of; you have to be persistent. Like a James Van Fleet weather forecast, you have to be honest and frank. Like James Van Fleet, daily briefings and frequent updates will go a long way. Van Fleet uses a bunch of social media to get his word out. In short, honest communication will go a long way with the stranded crew if Royal is in fact trying. Today, Royal Caribbean is not trying.

CDC mandates??? How about turning your negatives around into positives??? How about leadership and guidance??? This whole maritime platform is based on leadership, seniority, and wisdom; well.....I'm expecting brilliance out of highly paid people with stripes on their shoulders and corner offices in Miami and so far I'm not getting any.

If I was the zookeeper I would clean the floating petri dish to the point it was a germ free environment. I would test everyone aboard twice a day. I would implement platforms and activities so that those onboard do things. I would start with the easy stuff, how can we do the dances that are done during the sail away? How can these people go to the main theater and watch a movie or a performance? How can we let them on the pool deck and occupy a lounge chair for an hour? How can we feed them all together? It means changing behaviors, it means changing norms. 

Instead of saying we'll just let our boat and the staff linger on some ocean; I would create a space and protocols that make a cruise ship better and safer than being on land. Someone disembarking from one of my cruise ships would be welcome in any country, in any airplane, or at any hotel. The relative few staff that are onboard would be my guinea pig, a nice small sample size to work with to establish how life and activities on future sailings might be preformed for when we pack the boat with 5,000 passengers.

Imagine....people wanting to get on a cruise ship because it is a better, safer place than where they are at??? Whoa...

Doing so requires leadership. It means changing things and implementing practices that other companies and institutions will look at see are a successful path going forward. It means being a pinnacle.

Very nicely put, no emotion, just an honest post

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

Firstly havent a clue who james van fleet is

Secondly you went way off subject, no one was talking about cleaning or social Distancing etc it was about getting crew home, and my question was how would YOU get them home? The answer to This one simple question we still await 

Hopefully you can figure out how to get filipino and Indian crew home to their respective countries both of  which have closed their doors to all flights domestic and international because ALL cruiselines not just RC are struggling to work out a way to do it until lockdown measures are lifted in these countries.

My friend who works for Aida may be lucky in that they are still being paid despite contract being up 7 weeks ago, they have a nice cabin, plenty food and activities to keep them amused but the one thing they dont have is a date to go home, Aida cannot tell them that! That answer lies with the Philippine government and when they decide it save to lift restrictions even for OFW 

15 minutes ago, Ray said:

Firstly havent a clue who james van fleet is

Secondly you went way off subject, no one was talking about cleaning or social Distancing etc it was about getting crew home, and my question was how would YOU get them home? The answer to This one simple question we still await 

Hopefully you can figure out how to get filipino and Indian crew home to their respective countries both of  which have closed their doors to all flights domestic and international because ALL cruiselines not just RC are struggling to work out a way to do it until lockdown measures are lifted in these countries.

My friend who works for Aida may be lucky in that they are still being paid despite contract being up 7 weeks ago, they have a nice cabin, plenty food and activities to keep them amused but the one thing they dont have is a date to go home, Aida cannot tell them that! That answer lies with the Philippine government and when they decide it save to lift restrictions even for OFW 

I think you pretty much hit it on the head, and I'll add that many if not most of the authorities around the globe have become drunk on the power of control.  If anyone thinks any of this has anything to do with health, safety, cleanliness, social distancing anymore, I've got some oceanfront property in Indiana to sell you.

3 hours ago, bobroo said:

In short, honest communication will go a long way with the stranded crew if Royal is in fact trying. Today, Royal Caribbean is not trying.

I disagree that RC isn't trying or isn't communicating it.

The issue is the main stream media rarely, if ever, reports on it. They are quick to post a "disgruntled" cook's FB post as evidence of a vast conspriracy against the crew, but when the CEO of the cruise line says they repatriated 10k and working on the 20k remaining, zero mention by the media.

The result is the public (you/I) don't see the concerted effort going on. Nevermind the massive hurdles they face by insanely difficult government restrictions to get people home that has created a legal quagmire.

Unfortunately we live in a word of headlines, with few bothering to read the article.

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

I would test everyone aboard twice a day. I would implement platforms and activities so that those onboard do things.

How can you do that?  Look at some of these repatriation schedules.  I believe it is Anthem that is going to India.  It is what @2 week sailing to get to Goa after leaving their last port.  Assume 500 crew members.  That means they would need 14,000 tests on board prior to the sailing.  Assume the test takes 5 mins.  How do you process 1000 tests a day?  That is 5,000 minutes.  They would need more than 4 medical personnel operating 24/7 to get through this on a daily basis. 

Theoretically, your example is a no go from every way you turn.  

how can we do the dances that are done during the sail away? How can these people go to the main theater and watch a movie or a performance? How can we let them on the pool deck and occupy a lounge chair for an hour? How can we feed them all together? It means changing behaviors, it means changing norms. 

How do you know they are not doing exactly that?  Do you actually think RCL or any cruise line doesn't have a team of people working on this already?  Just because they are not announcing it, or the news is not covering it, doesn't mean they are not diligently investigating how to do it.  Let's be honest, they read the news too and they have personnel that do market research.  You would be a fool to think that there is not an RCL employee or intern lurking on here, cruise critic or FB reading posters opinions.  

•  My daughter was an intern for a famous non-profit.  One of her jobs as an intern was exactly that.  Social media.  She was not allowed to respond to any post.  She gathered info, opinions and made a daily report to her supervisor and what was being talked about on the multiple sites.
  •  I work retail.  Management also gets a weekly report on what people are saying, be it their website, Yelp, FB, etc. 

I would create a space and protocols that make a cruise ship better and safer than being on land. Someone disembarking from one of my cruise ships would be welcome in any country, in any airplane, or at any hotel.

Yes, our world is now a global economy, but the last time I checked  there is no global government.  The only closest thing you would come to that, would be the UN.  Nor can you force a company (airline, hotel, car rental, etc) to do that, public or privately owned, unless of course it is mandated by law.  Tieing it back to unless you have the world all agreeing and setting standards than it is not feasible.   

Add on top of that a company like NCL that made headlines a few weeks  about their ability to survive past Sept without a huge cash infusion.  The type of things you are talking about cost money and lots of it.  Where will they find the funds if they follow all of your suggestions?  How much do you think thousands of medical tests done  twice a day on a daily basis for repatriation would cost the cruise lines?  If they use their funds for your 1st suggestion,  than how can they create a space, assuming you mean more social distancing/less density on a ship?  That would mean pulling their ships and doing a complete re-design with fewer bookings.  IE, will they now no longer offer an interior room with Pullman beds, equating to every cabin can only hold 2 people?  If that is the case can you not see cruise companies suing the govt if they don't say to resorts like Disney or Sandals or Atlantis that they do the exact same?  A hotel room with 2 double beds is how much bigger than a cabin?  It is a slippery slope you are going down.  

JMPO, and with $2.07 you can get a small coffee from Starbucks (wearing your mask of course!)

On 5/17/2020 at 11:53 AM, Ray said:

So let me get this correct

They are proresting about being locked on a ship with 100s of fellow crew for company, with food and drink available at no cost, still getting paid their wage, lots of things to do such as games, pool, ice skating etc YET they want home to their countries where they will be in lockdown in their home only talking with those in their household, food and drink will be whats available at local shop they have to que to get into and they wont have wages.....makes a lot of sense

To me this photo is a small group organising a protest and as everyone knows when something is happening others come out to watch, those watching are probably the laundry staff wondering how the hell they are going to get the pen marks off the bed sheets for new guests arriving 

BTW anyone notice its only the Miami newspaper that poster links? Probably works for them and is trying to further their career by looking for negative posts on here 

Ray, they were in lockdown in their rooms for 21 days to ensure that every single crew member went fever free for 14 days.  

They haven’t had pay since April 1st.  They are basically being held as prisoners.  They are being fed, but have to pay for alcohol if they choose to drink.  As far as pools etc, they have been only allowed in them a few hours a day and are required to social distance.  

How do I know all of this??? 

A very dear friend and his wife are crew members on board one of the ships and we talk almost every other day on FB messenger.  

It is a nightmare for them and there is no end in sight.  They want to get home so they can work whatever job they can to feed their families.  Have a little compassion. 

2 minutes ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Ray, they were in lockdown in their rooms for 21 days to ensure that every single crew member went fever free for 14 days.  

They haven’t had pay since April 1st.  They are basically being held as prisoners.  They are being fed, but have to pay for alcohol if they choose to drink.  As far as pools etc, they have been only allowed in them a few hours a day and are required to social distance.  

A very dear friend and his wife are crew members on board one of the ships and we talk almost every other day on FB messenger.  

It is a nightmare for them and there is no end in sight.  They want to get home so they can work whatever job they can to feed their families.  Have a little compassion. 

That want home i get that totally but its not going to happen until their governments allow it, its not RC or any other cruiselines fault airports and cruiseports are closed. 

Lockdown until everyone was clear same rules as onboard to onshore, if any of my family or yours got symptoms we would have to self isolate for 14 days also so thats not an issue

As for getting home and finding work, how does that happen when most places are closed? Shops, restaurants,  offices etc etc 

Self isolating in your home is completely different than self isolating in a 10’ x 15’ room with no windows.  

As far as getting home?  Carnival has already figured out a way to get all their crews home minus the bare minimum to keep the ships running at sea.  That was over a month ago too.

The country’s are closed to foreigners, but if you are a citizen of that country you are allowed in as long as you self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.  

As far as work, I get it.  Most of their home country’s don’t have much work, but at least they have the opportunity to do something to feed their families and pay their rent.  Being stuck on a prison ship with zero pay is far worse than making $3 a day doing whatever job they can find.  

We all know the pay is significantly better on a cruise ship than most jobs they can get at home, but with zero pay and the “go home” plans being pushed further and further back daily, don’t you think you would at least like the freedom to work any job for any pay??? 

They are stuck at Sea because RCCL won’t pony up the money to get them home.  We are living in a fantasy world if any of us think that cruising will resume before Aug 1st.  They want to keep them on board so they can start bringing in money again as soon as the CDC allows.  That being said how pleasant do you think your on board experience is going to be with crew that have been held prisoner for 4.5 months with zero pay? 

5 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

As far as getting home?  Carnival has already figured out a way to get all their crews home minus the bare minimum to keep the ships running at sea.  That was over a month ago too.

The country’s are closed to foreigners, but if you are a citizen of that country you are allowed in as long as you self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.  

I agree Carnival found a way they shipped crew from one ship to another then sailed that ship to a number of destinations, they chartered aircraft and flew them home....JUST as RC did at the start as the crew member who posts on here informed us when he headed home..and as they had planned again with sailings to the UK..are carnival doing this now with those who have went out of contract since then? Since countries went into lockdown? 

No they are not! They are in the same boat as every other cruiseline, and as i mentioned on another post  OFW ( oversees filipino workers ) are NOT being allowed in, Aida which is part of Carnival charterered 2 aircraft to fly to Manila, they arrived safely, my friend was due to be on next flight home however the government shut the door even to nationals and they are still in hamburg waiting to find out when they will get home. 

A Norwegian government official stated yesterday it was impossible to repatriate crew whilst their countries had no flying and lockdown! 

Maybe other governments should stand up and state the facts instead of allowing garbage press to print complete rubbish which anyone with half a brain would know is impossible due to the restrictions not because a company isnt seen to be trying.

With regards wages, yeah they should be paid but that isnt going to get them home any sooner unless they club their wages together and bribe their governments to open its borders 

Finally

These posts by the OG poster are for 1 aim only! To cause more disruption and issues! 

Click the link for Jim Walker who writes these newspaper artices, he just happens to be a maritime laywer dealing in crew disputes etc

These posts are aimed at any RC crew who read this site, to cause unrest etc and to get him work $$$

Its not RC causing the issue its this rag and its writer and they are the ones who should have blood on their hands.

Btw always thought jim walker was another name for a treadmill ????

It is an unfortunate dilemma when there is no one government that can clear the red tape and allow crew to return home.  How do you force a country to open its borders for it's own nationals?  Even the UN doesn't have that power.  

As far as keeping crew on contract, that is violation of maritime regulations that are in place to keep seafarers from being forced to work indefinitely.  These regulations are in place to cover all seafarers on anything from the smallest fishing vessels to cargo, container, tanker and yes even cruise ships.  Shipping interests have no choice but to allow contracts to end else there are ambulance chasing lawyers waiting to litigate for violating maritime regulations.  This does impact all ships including crews on tanker, cargo, fishing and container vessels - they can't get home either.  There are thousands as many other ships compared to a few hundred cruise ships sailing around the world.

With no way to get crew off ships they have little choice but turn them into guests when contracts end.    Are maritime regulations being suspended?  No.   Damned if they and damned if they don't.  How do you force airlines to fly to destinations where they can't land?  How do you force a country like Spain to allow a ship into port? 

8 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

They are receiving the “Statutory Minimum Pay” from the end of their contract date until the date they are released; in accordance with international maritime law.